Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your fixed broadband speeds

Double posting just so everyone can get the notification. Apparently FLOW has bumped up the speeds for all (most?) HFC customers to 30Mbps upload. The download speeds vary, but most persons are getting between 120Mbps and 170Mbps - I guess it depends on the package they were originally on. Bear in mind that this is for the legacy packages - the new packages may not get an upgrade.

https://testmy.net/db/707Ay2ZmN.p3XQtjTXs

https://www.speedtest.net/result/13267110512
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Got the 10mbps upgrade now it seems... Upload speed still 5mbps thou...

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Got the 10mbps upgrade now it seems... Upload speed still 5mbps thou...
    My upload is at 15Mbps now. Can't remember what it was before but as you mentioned it I remembered the upload speed. I uploaded 2 vids to youtube this past week and looked at the speed.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Upload bumped up to 30mbps now.. not bad coming from 1mbps for years.. then 5mbps lol

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    My upload is at 15Mbps now. Can't remember what it was before but as you mentioned it I remembered the upload speed. I uploaded 2 vids to youtube this past week and looked at the speed.
    If you're on their HFC package just keep checking back. Persons in multiple parishes have been upgraded to 30Mbps upload. Though I do know of one friend nearby that's on a slower speed - not sure if it's ALL packages that get the upgrade or just the higher legacy ones.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Upload bumped up to 30mbps now.. not bad coming from 1mbps for years.. then 5mbps lol
    That's good. We're coming from the OLD days of 14.4k to now. But on FLOW - the HFC - during original FLOW and the CWJ takeover - I believe it was....

• 1Mbps
    • 2.5Mbps
    • 5Mbps
    • 10Mbps
    • 30Mbps

While I am glad for the upgrade, I feel it should have been done LONG ago.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

I had more fun on dial up lol those were the days....

Not sure if anyone else notices it, but Digicel's fiber ONT/gateway (a Huawei HG8247H in my case) can have a lot of bufferbloat when multiple clients start hammering the connection.

I resorted to using an EdgeRouter-X with SQM enabled, which significantly reduced the bufferbloat. Testing bandwidth limiters and fq_codel in pfSense also produced the same positive effect. Now, multiple devices can be streaming without slowing down the network for the other client.

It's unfortunate that nothing similar or even simple QoS is activated on these Huawei gateways. I guess it's no wonder quite a few people fall victim to paying for higher speeds when some form of bandwidth management could have made more efficient use of their existing connection.

There are other routers that can be used for less. The price of the ERX has gone up significantly. Considering that the last one I purchased was about USD$60 and now it's selling for up to USD$200 in some cases - it's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1986 View Post
    Not sure if anyone else notices it, but Digicel's fiber ONT/gateway (a Huawei HG8247H in my case) can have a lot of bufferbloat when multiple clients start hammering the connection.

I resorted to using an EdgeRouter-X with SQM enabled, which significantly reduced the bufferbloat. Testing bandwidth limiters and fq_codel in pfSense also produced the same positive effect. Now, multiple devices can be streaming without slowing down the network for the other client.

It's unfortunate that nothing similar or even simple QoS is activated on these Huawei gateways. I guess it's no wonder quite a few people fall victim to paying for higher speeds when some form of bandwidth management could have made more efficient use of their existing connection.

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    There are other routers that can be used for less. The price of the ERX has gone up significantly. Considering that the last one I purchased was about USD$60 and now it's selling for up to USD$200 in some cases - it's crazy.

Yeah. Supply Chain issues affecting them hence the price bump.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Just heard news that FLOW is expecting bump speeds all the way up to 1 Gbps thanks to a DOCSIS 3.1 upgrade, if Stephen Price's account of their progress network-wise is to be believed. Customers should see a reflection in new speeds come this Sunday I hear. Has anyone seen any changes in speeds recently?