Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Your fixed broadband speeds

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    Is the new modem now fibre based or is it still COAX? Speeds look impressive.
    If I'm not mistaken - the new modem is still coax. The new one uses DOCSIS 3.1 which allows for 10Gbps down and 1Gbps up.

I have personal reasons to not go with FLOW. But at least I can funnel things through my server - which has synchronous gigabit.

On another note - seems like Starlink has reduced their monthly fee down from $8,500 to $7,000.

Hardware cost is now $54,400 for new or $43,520 for refurbished. You still get the same warranty with the refurbished.

Looking forward to next bill to see what the actual cost is - if it's reduced. Also looking forward to the upgraded speeds when they finally roll out. Maybe if I get the newer device it'll improve as well - we'll see - especially if they have a trade in or upgrade path.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru View Post
    I Recently switched to the Yaad & Road plus package.

They came and replace my modem, we had issues for a few days but all is now working great.

Speeds looking good. Can you do and share a test during the day or evening hours?
    Confucius say..Man who fight with wife all day, get no piece at night!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillion View Post
    Your task as member of the elite is to educate, no matter how hard it is.
    No one can do all their own homework all the time. That is why people communicate and collaborate on forums.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    Is the new modem now fibre based or is it still COAX? Speeds look impressive.
    Coaxial

I asked the technician what's the difference between the old and new modem. He said the old one was limited to 500 Mbps download speed

Quote Originally Posted by BUBBA View Post
    Speeds looking good. Can you do and share a test during the day or evening hours?

The speed test time is at the top left of the image. Minus 5 hours from the GMT time to know the local time

This one i did just now 6:07 PM

For all the tests I have ran, it's the upload speed that seems to vary the most. The download speed is pretty much constant throughtout the day

Last edited by leoandru; Mar 23, 2024 at 04:01 AM.

I run these tests from the command line of a home server. Since my desktop ethernet got fried during a lightening storm last summer.

I used vnstat to monitor the NIC while the tests were running, it shows the NIC reaching its theoretical maximum speed on the download side.

I wonder what speed I would get if it were a 2 or 10 gigabit NIC. However, the ethernet port of the modem is probably also limited to 1 gigabit as well

re0 / traffic statistics

rx | tx
    --------------------------------------+------------------
    bytes 5.73 GiB | 771.19 MiB
    max 1.01 Gbit/s | 145.06 Mbit/s
    average 68.24 Mbit/s | 8.97 Mbit/s
    min 240 bit/s | 792 bit/s
    packets 4262996 | 2602480
    max 83228 p/s | 47876 p/s
    average 5912 p/s | 3609 p/s
    min 0 p/s | 0 p/s
    time 12.02 minutes

Coaxial

I asked the technician what's the difference between the old and new modem. He said the old one was limited to 500 Mbps download speed
    Cool! What does the new modem look like? If I were a betting person, I'd wager it's the TG3492LG (looks a bit like a squared funnel with an LED light bar wrapped around the top)!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Cool! What does the new modem look like? If I were a betting person, I'd wager it's the TG3492LG (looks a bit like a squared funnel with an LED light bar wrapped around the top)!
    Its a sagemcom f@st3890v3

Its a sagemcom f@st3890v3
    Yes, the Sagemcom. I got this upgrade from November. It has been stable.