Thread: DC To AC Power Inverter Design for United Homes

Default DC To AC Power Inverter Design for United Homes

Currently DC to AC inverters are extremely expensive. There are good brands like Schneider, but you have to pay.

Right now there is a need for Alternate power. Solar is proposed. Hurricanes can strike small islands like Jamaica and leave us without main power for weeks. We need back ups.

For a solar set up you need:
    • Solar panels
    • Batteries
    • Charge Controllers (To charge batteries)
    • Inverters (To get AC power for batteries)

Regarding DC to AC inverters, there are a few technology out there on wiki. (Later I will comment on them)

I am working on a method myself. I do not know if it will work but I will try to improve and correct.

It is best to have a DC to AC converter that outputs a pure sine wave. Not all inverters are pure, and I think that description is misleading, eg it can by 99.99% pure or 95% pure or 100% pure. I think a percentage would be a more accurate description. Example 99% +- 0.2% pure sine wave.

My design (have not seen any like it so far) but anyways, I want to design one so as to reduce the arm and leg cost that poor people have to pay

The discrete DC to AC (Tesla ) Transformer has these components:
    The special transformer
    • A Clock Generator (50 Hz x 32)
    • A transistor and IC switching system
    • (An output clock signal that can be used to synchronize up to 6 devices)

The design concept
    The transformer secondary coil is fixed, and it is driven by changing magnetic flux. Mag flux is concentrated by a composite material. (Consider very fine rounded iron filings mixed with a claylike ceramic, just enough to easily transfer a electric or magnetic field without much eddy currents of conduction. i.e. a positive charge placed on one end would be felt at the other end with no electron actually moving from one iron filing to the next. The same if the north pole of a magnet is placed on the composite, the effect is felt on the other end. The composite would be a 3d representation of the magnetic field on a bar magnet. It would be cut in half along the equator so that the coils (eg 2ndary coil) could be placed on the central core. For the first version, the composite material would not be used, just a simple laminated iron core) So the secondary coil is fixed. The primary coil is many discrete coils. Say 16 coils. I have not work out the number of turns each as yet. (I plan to simulate it on a computer program to find the best numbers that give the smoothest sine wave.) The combine total number of turns in all the primary coils would be related to the secondary coil in that 24V on total in outputs 110V. The rate of creation and changing of the driving magnetic field would be generated by how many primary coils are activated. i.e an increase of n turns would cause a certain rate of change of flux, and taking into account the induction of the coils added or removed. The transformer primary coil is separated into 16 non uniform sub coils. A transistor and ic system turn on and off the coils. IC should be a pop out ic to reduce repair cost. That on off system would be drive by a clock source. (The clock signal could be sent eg 1,2,3 + 17,18 beats to another dc to ac converter device where its clock synchronizes its 1,2,3 + 17,18 beats to it. All 32 beats are produced by each clock, only specific beats are communicated. These 32 sub beats occur on each sine wave beat. 16 for the positive and 16 for the negative part of the wave. Each sine wave is produced at 50 Hz. Hopefully the most expensive part is the (Tesla) Transformer.)
    I hope this design is simple enough for everyone to understand.

I will try and build it and let you know how it goes.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

I will admit I don;t know enough to understand your design concept, maybe a link to a diagram explaining some stuff would work.
    However, I do hope your build works and I will be following.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Only catch some of it. Not an electronics engineer. However...

There are a number of places locally that does motor winding/rewinding. Why not check there for your coils?

Are you planning on building your own magnets? What kind of brushes do you intend to use?

From my limited knowledge, it seems you're building a "hybrid" tesla coil. You're generating DC instead of AC.

I like the concept of "user replaceable" parts. Just ensure you have fail safes in place. Like the cover for the transistor being removed automatically shuts down the system. People are smart enough to not do it and damage themselves or the equipment.

While pure sine is best, depending on how your output generation is, you will need additional circuitry to stabilize and "clean up" your generated power.

Good stuff. Looking forward to more.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    I will admit I don;t know enough to understand your design concept, maybe a link to a diagram explaining some stuff would work.
    However, I do hope your build works and I will be following.
    @BNOVA

I will try to do a circuit diagram and a 3d drawing later on. The transformer is basically simple. Imagine a normal transformer: it has a primary coil (closed loop), and a separate circuit (closed loop) for the secondary coil. Then now imagine that instead of a primary coil, you have several primary coils in parallel, and they can be turned on and off by the transistor circuit. When they are off, they are opened loop, and do not take part much in the inductance or capacitance much, and can be ignored, at 50Hz. Essentially, it is a way to vary the number of turns that the primary coil has. All primary sub-coils being turned on is equivalent to one complete bigger primary coil of the same total turns. There is difference in the calculation of the inductance due to the primary sub coils connected in parallel and not series. Also, more importantly, the magnetic flux is equivalent. All theory still. To be honest, I don't have a clue if will work.

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Only catch some of it. Not an electronics engineer. However...

There are a number of places locally that does motor winding/rewinding. Why not check there for your coils?

Are you planning on building your own magnets? What kind of brushes do you intend to use?

From my limited knowledge, it seems you're building a "hybrid" tesla coil. You're generating DC instead of AC.

I like the concept of "user replaceable" parts. Just ensure you have fail safes in place. Like the cover for the transistor being removed automatically shuts down the system. People are smart enough to not do it and damage themselves or the equipment.

While pure sine is best, depending on how your output generation is, you will need additional circuitry to stabilize and "clean up" your generated power.

Good stuff. Looking forward to more.
    Good advice @khat17

The theory is to put the circuit on a computer simulation. Every variable of the equations must be accounted for:

• V1-16 (The input 12V (or 24V) to each of the 16 sub primary coils. On is 12V off is 0V
    • I1-16 (The instantaneous current through each primary coil that is on
    • L1-16 (The inductance etc)
    • n turns 1-16 (number of turns in each sub primary coil from coil 1 to coil 16)
    • Total Mag field
    • dI/dt 1-16 (The small change in current with respect to time
    • dB/dt 1-16 (affects closed loop primary and secondary)
    • n (secondary)
    • V (secondary)

The computer calculates each parameter for every interval of t= 0.0001s
    The user can vary the number of turn in the 16 coils ie n turns 1-16

The program outputs :
    • sinewave shape accuracy (working on how to calculate this variable. I could ask a class of mathematical students how they would approach this and credit them accordingly)
    • efficiency
    • actual visual graph of shape of signal V(secondary) against time

According to Maxwell's equations and Faraday, a changing magnetic field will produce an e.m.f. in the secondary coil.

It is assumed that, no relative motion of charge (no flow of current relatively) produces no magnetic field, and visa versa if there is a magnetic field, any material in it that does not allow charge to flow will not take part in the induction (This is why I ignore the turned off sub coils at low 50Hz) I speculate that a magnet does have moving charge. The electrons in it are actually spinning. I suspect that something like a special 4d geometry of space time can be an electron and that geometry has an effect at a point but itself is not a point and that geometry changes, in such that there is a periodic pattern to it. For simplicity it rotates. All/most of the electrons in a permanent magnet are aligned with the same rotation, and collectively produce magnetic moments that is felt from outside the magnet

A feature of the transformer design, is the ability to connect outputs of the secondary coil of other similar transformers together in parallel. Careful synchronization of the sine wave must be done first. Synchronizing is done by watching the 'beat' from the master device for at least 6 periods, and output afterwards, using only the master beat but also comparing it internally and must be within tolerance or no output.
    Picture 6 output female plugs (from the secondary of six devices above) connected to a thick power strip which inputs 6 females and output one female (bigger cable)

I want to do the program first to see if it is viable. This is a good project to hand off to a research team of students if Jamaica had a proper research hierarchy.
    Last edited by crosswire; Sep 13, 2021 at 10:19 PM.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

Good to know that some of us are experimenting in building something, and not just buying off the shelf. Keep us updated. Good luck.