Thread: E-waste disposal

Default E-waste disposal

How do you guys go about disposing of old electronics/parts? I have a few depleted laser printer cartridges that I don't feel comfortable throwing in the regular trash.

Or is there somewhere that can recycle them? Asking not just for the cartridges but for electronics in general.

Thanks.

There's an IT store in the town near where I live. They will take and dump those items.

Old PARTS usually get donated to upcoming enthusiasts to either attempt repairs or harvest components.

Old INK/TONER can be dumped at the local printery since they deal with that. There's one of those nearby me as well.

Old BATTERIES can be deposed of at Tropical Battery.

Where parts are concerned, you can check with NSWMA for recycling/dumping options.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

OK. I live in Kingston. (Sorry, not from Jamaica!)

So any major print shop would be able to take the cartridges?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1986 View Post
    OK. I live in Kingston. (Sorry, not from Jamaica!)

So any major print shop would be able to take the cartridges?
    Possibly. It would be best to call them beforehand and find out. Some of them may recycle them or reuse - so call around your area and find out. Some of the computer stores may also be able to assist. My location is Mandeville - so not sure of the stores in Kingston.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Possibly. It would be best to call them beforehand and find out. Some of them may recycle them or reuse - so call around your area and find out. Some of the computer stores may also be able to assist. My location is Mandeville - so not sure of the stores in Kingston.
    Thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    There's an IT store in the town near where I live. They will take and dump those items.

Old PARTS usually get donated to upcoming enthusiasts to either attempt repairs or harvest components.

Old INK/TONER can be dumped at the local printery since they deal with that. There's one of those nearby me as well.

Old BATTERIES can be deposed of at Tropical Battery.

Where parts are concerned, you can check with NSWMA for recycling/dumping options.
    Thanks for the info Khat. I will likely use these facilities when I do my spring cleaning even if I have to drive to Mandeville myself.
    I will reach out to you when I am ready.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

I had a dead kindle last week, I took the battery out and threw it in the trash. It probably caused the last riverton fire. I have no idea what other people are doing with thier old tech hardware in jamaica.

I have a drawer full of dead devices. Been waiting for some form of electronics recycle programme to dispose of them.

Post a picture. might be easier and more profitable to sell them. I have some old computers that I keep just incase I need backups.

There's also this. Can check with them maybe.

https://recyclingja.com/