Thread: What next after social media??

Default What next after social media??

What's next?? Cause bwoy Social Media has evolved so much it aint even remotely close to what it was a few years ago... It's at a point now where the censorship is insane...

Is there something new that the kids are using that us more seasoned (old ) users don't know about??

Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/WhatsApp.... Do yau'll see these being replaced in the near future? As much as they may be replaced with a newer more advanced implementation of the same thing I'm really yearning for something new..
    Last edited by GPRS Internet; May 14, 2021 at 06:07 PM.
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

I think the concept of social media will be around for a long time to come. However, what will change will be the popularity of social media platforms. I think that in the near future we will see many of now dominant platforms fall by the wayside. Why? The heavy censorship and obvious political bias will catch up to them as users slowly realize the bias and lose interest in interacting with a community all having the same mindset and thinking, no diversity off thought and perspective. The social media platforms that will thrive are now very new or not yet created and will allow "controlled" free speech, meaning, free speech without promotion of violence etc.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Social media has existed long before the prevalent term. Boards like this used to run the cut in that space. The newcomers, if it were, are those groups in messaging apps like WhatsApp and Telegram, Discord, video game multiplayer, Triller, TikTok, etc.

Unfortunately, we are at the point where things like Facebook and Twitter may never fold. As people were getting smartphones, they were also increasing the normalcy, and ease, of checking in multiple times a day to those platforms. Prior to that, you had to have a traditional computer with internet access nearby. Now, many have that in their hand and nearby all day. No matter what work you do, checking in is possible (even if not prudent). If MySpace were still around for the takeoff of iPhone and Android, it may still be around as a competitor. Ownership will be the only difference. See Tumblr. See Yahoo and AOL.

Quote Originally Posted by mista736 View Post
    Social media has existed long before the prevalent term. Boards like this used to run the cut in that space. The newcomers, if it were, are those groups in messaging apps like WhatsApp and Telegram, Discord, video game multiplayer, Triller, TikTok, etc.

Unfortunately, we are at the point where things like Facebook and Twitter may never fold. As people were getting smartphones, they were also increasing the normalcy, and ease, of checking in multiple times a day to those platforms. Prior to that, you had to have a traditional computer with internet access nearby. Now, many have that in their hand and nearby all day. No matter what work you do, checking in is possible (even if not prudent). If MySpace were still around for the takeoff of iPhone and Android, it may still be around as a competitor. Ownership will be the only difference. See Tumblr. See Yahoo and AOL.
    Chatroom and forums still exists yes.. but only to foundation users, new younger users most likely will never find there way onto a forum or in a chatroom. The more and more people get access to the internet to more and more the internet has to become 'Safe'

Once a platform gets too big, that's it, they will have to conform or face immense backlash from all the internet police..
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

New "technicians" first Google things and read/follow instructions on forums if they can't find it on YouTube.

As for backlash. You still have the dark web.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    New "technicians" first Google things and read/follow instructions on forums if they can't find it on YouTube.

As for backlash. You still have the dark web.
    But that's the thing.. like most things can be found on YouTube... And most rather a video tutorial vs reading it on a forum...

Dark web is generally associated with 'Dark' topics...

While I do videos for things - I rather text instructions. Hence why I post things here or on sites like ifixit. Having a step-by-step set of instructions gives you a better idea of what to do. It's like reading a manual - however the current generations don't read. They just want to watch stuff. And as for info. In the words of MK - "There is no knowledge that is not power." The problem is - the person ingesting that knowledge. Me looking through a teardown and repair manual for an engine is more difficult than a mechanic doing the same. In the same way - me looking at a teardown/repair manual for a printer, laptop or desktop would be similarly confusing to a mechanic as me looking at the engine one. It's who is checking the info. It's how you use it. It's how much knowledge and experience you have.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Chatroom and forums still exists yes.. but only to foundation users, new younger users most likely will never find there way onto a forum or in a chatroom. The more and more people get access to the internet to more and more the internet has to become 'Safe'

Once a platform gets too big, that's it, they will have to conform or face immense backlash from all the internet police..
    Yeah, the forums do skew older. It’s actually a good thing most of the time.
    As for safety, I think it’s more lip service than reality. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    While I do videos for things - I rather text instructions. Hence why I post things here or on sites like ifixit. Having a step-by-step set of instructions gives you a better idea of what to do. It's like reading a manual - however the current generations don't read. They just want to watch stuff.
    I’m same. Love video, but I’d rather read a story than watch the video. If it’s something you need to see how to do, then video is the best.

As others have said. Social Media in its current form came at a time when internet access was exploding as well as smartphones. The platforms will jostle for the attention of users and we can already see them all just having the same basic features with just a different paint job and target age group/market/usage.

As for what's next, I think AR, wearable tech, and smart assistants will be huge.
    Proud Jamaican and Japan Enthusiast
    www.Jamaipanese.com
    Jamaica + Japan