Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with ads?

Default How do you deal with ads?

Just curious as to how others deal with blocking ads on their devices.

When I’m at home, I route my devices through PiHole which is also linked to AdGuard DNS. PCs use uBlock Origin as an ad-blocking extension in Chrome, which I’ve had even before PiHole. I’ve installed YouTube Vanced on my Fire Sticks to block all those YouTube ads since PiHole can’t handle it. Away from home on my phone, I use AdGuard for Android. On iOS I just use the AdGuard DNS.

Most systems work well. Not missing those ads.

I don't block ads. I watch ads on youtube to support those creators that I am subscribed to.

The ONLY place I block ads is Jamaica Observer website. And that's because I can't find the article to read in the sea of ads they plaster their website with.
    Jamaica Gleaner coming close.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

I don't Block Ads on my phone so at least I can support the creators on Youtube but I do block Adds on my PC with Adblock and Disconnect Extensions in Chrome.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

If you want to block ads you can setup https://pi-hole.net - but use the ads to support those you subscribe to as said by others.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

I avoid most popular platforms or people that have more than 50k audience. Just too much noise and regurgitation to be worth my time - talk alot, wait around for stuff to happen then talk some more. I avoid adbased content with my own RSS reader page and blocking big companies that publish the most ads. First time I see the add blocked/muted. The sense that you are going to "miss out" on some deal can be controlled if you curate efficient channels.

I don't block a thing, my eyes are already trained to know where to focus on the sites I visit. The YouTube ads during programs is somewhat annoying as I prefer to watch them before and not having it being interrupted.

I know Ads is what keeps content (videos, websites, email, etc) free, so blocking them does not work out in my best interest. I do find the Ads that following you across the Internet very intrusive but I can blame FB and Amazon and Google for that one. Data mining at its creepiest.

Pi-Hole, No-Scripts, UBlock Origin. Phone is set to auto-connect to home VPN when I hop off WiFi and I run UBlock Origin and No-Scripts in FireFox mobile. Don't get YouTube general ads, since I have YT Music sub (got grandfathered into the Google Music beta price @$7.99).

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1986 View Post
    Just curious as to how others deal with blocking ads on their devices.

When I’m at home, I route my devices through PiHole which is also linked to AdGuard DNS. PCs use uBlock Origin as an ad-blocking extension in Chrome, which I’ve had even before PiHole. I’ve installed YouTube Vanced on my Fire Sticks to block all those YouTube ads since PiHole can’t handle it. Away from home on my phone, I use AdGuard for Android. On iOS I just use the AdGuard DNS.

Most systems work well. Not missing those ads.
    What's your reason for wanting to block ads?
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    I don't Block Ads on my phone so at least I can support the creators on Youtube
    I donate to YouTube content creators via Patreon or PayPal that I actually like. I block ads on my PC using the "Ad Block Plus" Google Chrome extension and on my phone for YouTube, I use an "auto skip" app that monitors your YouTube phone screen for the advertisement skip button in the lower right-hand corner, and then automatically "taps" the skip button after the mandatory 5 seconds of watching (no other ads are blocked on my phone.

Advertisements for me trigger an anger rage (I do have anger management issues for the past 5 years).
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    What's your reason for wanting to block ads?
    Primarily, because they’re annoying and intrusive.

Secondarily, to prevent cross-site tracking and improve overall responsiveness.

Personally, I prefer to support creators through Patreon (or other similar platforms). And if I’m already paying for a service, I don’t feel like I should be bombarded by ads.