Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bridge mode on fiber ONT

Default Bridge mode on fiber ONT

Hello, all!

First of all, great forum! I know it’s been around for a while, but I’m just re-discovering it. Hope to learn and also contribute.

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone else using fiber (from one of our popular ISPs) has been able to successfully convert the Huawei ONT to bridge mode so we can fully use our own routers and not have double-NAT.

I have already reached out to said ISP without any response.

Thanks for your time and help.

Welcome. Not using GPON so don't have that device. The Arris modems do support bridged mode, so I suspect it may be possible unless the equipment doesn't support it. If you post your model then we can look it up and check the manual for details.

https://www.router-switch.com/huawei-ont.html
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Welcome. Not using GPON so don't have that device. The Arris modems do support bridged mode, so I suspect it may be possible unless the equipment doesn't support it. If you post your model then we can look it up and check the manual for details.

https://www.router-switch.com/huawei-ont.html
    It's a Hauwei HG8247H.

https://carlosthomas.net/yourls/techja

That link will take you to a page that then has the manual for the device. Download and go to page 50 or section 3-12. You will see the bridged mode options available.

Just bear in mind that FLOW may have disabled certain options if they have custom firmware, but the configuration pages should be as seen.

Last edited by khat17; Apr 28, 2021 at 07:44 AM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Thanks for that.

After quickly perusing the existing configuration, I see Digicel has some settings there already which I’m wary about altering. I’ll post screenshots when I get access again.

Also, does pursuing this make sense if Digicel uses CG-NAT?

Oh - Digicel and not FLOW. And yes it does. Request a static IP from them and they'll configure it on the back end. You should still be able to get things public. Just don't post your IP details anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1986 View Post
    Thanks for that.

After quickly perusing the existing configuration, I see Digicel has some settings there already which I’m wary about altering. I’ll post screenshots when I get access again.

Also, does pursuing this make sense if Digicel uses CG-NAT?

So here is what shows up on the WAN configuration page...

And for the configurations under the different connections...

I tried adding a new connection with 'Bridge WAN' as per the manual but that didn't seem to work.

OK. As I'm not familiar with the device, this is all experimental.

Firstly - do a backup of the current working settings just in case.

I can see in the screenshots that you have binding options for the LAN ports. Set it for one of the ports and then add your equipment to said port.

If that doesn't work - change the option from ROUTE WAN to BRIDGED and try again.

First you want to try just binding it to a port so that it'll use your equipment. Ensure you have the backup in case things go South. Post back your results.

Digicel uses CG-NAT as mentioned before. Their modem configurations are very specific with VLANs and private IPs. Changing your modem to Bridge mode will not work and expect your Internet, IPTV ("cable") and phone to stop working if you attempt to change it.

Cable modems and GPON (fibre) connections are not the same at all. There is no bridge mode for GPON unless the ISP set it up that way and that is not the case in this instance.

I welcome you to make a backup of the settings and attempt changes but if you are expecting to get your own public IP on your Digicel supplied modem or your router it is not going to happen without them specifically making that change for you from their side.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I supplemented what you both said with some guides/videos from Singapore, but that didn't work either.

Was worth a shot.