Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bridge mode on fiber ONT

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    There may be another way or an alternative solution. If you have...

1. A Hauwei HG8245H (The Hauwei HG8247H can hopefully be configured similarly)
    2. Subscription to an internet service provider (ISP) fibre broadband
    3. Additional subscription to the ISP for a public static internet protocol (IP) address

...then the following configuration will result in all incoming connections from the Internet to the public static IP address to be forwarded to an internal static IP address of a device (e.g. router) attached to a LAN port of the HG8245H:

Go to LAN > DHCP Server Configuration
    Note LAN IP address (e.g. 192.168.100.1) and subnet mask (e.g. 255.255.255.0)

Go to Status > DHCP Information
    Identify router and note its MAC address (e.g. 00:f0:62:12:00:0d).

Go to LAN > DHCP Static IP Configuration
    Assign static IP address within LAN network (e.g. 192.168.100.200) to MAC address of router (e.g. 00:f0:62:12:00:0d).

Go to Forward Rules > DMZ Configuration
    Click "new" then enable DMZ for WAN (e.g. 1_INTERNET_R_VID_65) with Host address (static IP address e.g. 192.168.100.200).

Hope that this is helpful.
    Thanks, this is useful information, does anyone know the cost of a static IP from Digicel? I'm assuming it will be expensive.

I'm thinking of just using my linksys router as a switch and configure it as a bridge and let the Digicel router do all the NAT stuff.

I'm not sure if I want to buy a Hauwei router just to test that out.
    I have the highest underclock in tech Ja! 1440.0
    DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2 "Digicel is the bossss!!!! "
    TECNOLOGY IS THE BOSS!!! I am the boss!! Memba u r as cool as ur tecnology!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cell Guy View Post
    I'm not sure if I want to buy a Hauwei router just to test that out.
    Just to clarify something here. The instructions mentioned by Joel were in direct relation to the the Hauwei ONT that Digicel provides to some of its fiber customers. These are the settings you'd have to adjust on your Digicel fiber device.

Quote Originally Posted by Cell Guy View Post
    I'm thinking of just using my linksys router as a switch and configure it as a bridge and let the Digicel router do all the NAT stuff.
    You can. I have done the same with many of my own routers. This won't get around the double/CG-NAT issue and accessing their network will require you still have their ONT between your router and the fiber. But I've found that it doesn't really affect me for what I use my connection for.

The important part is to bind your own router's MAC address to a static LAN IP on the ONT/gateway. Then, on your router, create your network(s) with completely different LAN subnet(s) than the ONT/gateway. When set to 'auto', the WAN connection on your router will obtain the same static IP from the gateway and won't be subject to disconnections during scheduled IP lease renewals. I also disabled the WLAN so I could use my own APs.

An update for those interested:

I was able to speak to Digicel Support and can confirm that static IPs can be rented on their home fiber service. However, that comes at an additional cost of JA$5750/mo (i.e. on top of your Digicel+ costs)! That’s quite expensive.

How frequently does their assigned IP refresh?
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    How frequently does their assigned IP refresh?
    That may depend on the equipment uptime. So...

If your device reboots - new IP.

If their equipment reboots - new IP.

Based on the DHCP lease time, maybe you'll get back the same address. So...

Possibly - if only ONE SIDE goes down - the reservation will be "held" by the other side.

Modem be like - I'm on a UPS and you went down. I last had 192.168.0.30 - give it back.

If the modem isn't on a UPS and goes down - but the ISP is up - provided someone else doesn't come and grab your IP - you may get it back.

However....

Your ISP may be like - well - I rebooted. I see lots of people online. I can't be bothered to find out who had what - first come first served.

But yeah. Maybe. Maybe not.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".