Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How soon before 5G hits Jamaica??

Default How soon before 5G hits Jamaica??

USA buzzing with 5G, and you know once USA log on Jamaica won't be too far behind...

How soon you think before Flow or Digicel gonna log onto 5G???
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

When the USA sneezes Jamaica gets a cold. One much nicer way of putting it than I would. Soon. Ish. Because we have a lot of people thinking it's the cause for COVID. So yeah.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

My guess is maybe 3 - 5 Years. There are a number of factors affecting the roll out.

1. USA vs China hardware that would be used to implement. Chinese equipment makes it cheaper to deploy but the US has security concerns.

2. If I am correct 5G uses a tonne more Radios so will have to be deployed on more buildings etc but it is still not cheap.

3. Telcos would have to see a demand from the local market to justify return on investment. The hotel areas and Airports will HAVE to have it first of course. However how many uses feel they will need 5G and are the telecos willing to provide the bandwidth this technology can provide?
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

how many persons would hop to 5G if it was available - I don't think the demand is here, aside from mainly tech folks, the providers are basking nicely with the 4G LTE price tiers. at the moment,

5G would mean 4G LTE would have to be cheaper or phased away with higher price 5G plans as they did with 4G LTE to 3G (marketed as 4G)
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Quote Originally Posted by nevintech View Post
    how many persons would hop to 5G if it was available - I don't think the demand is here, aside from mainly tech folks, the providers are basking nicely with the 4G LTE price tiers. at the moment,

5G would mean 4G LTE would have to be cheaper or phased away with higher price 5G plans as they did with 4G LTE to 3G (marketed as 4G)
    I don't see the demand as well. How would you market the masses to feel the difference of the%G vs 4G LTE? I don't recall anyone really saying they want more speed on mobile just reliability users demand right now.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    I don't see the demand as well. How would you market the masses to feel the difference of the%G vs 4G LTE? I don't recall anyone really saying they want more speed on mobile just reliability users demand right now.
    Yea.. it seems most people good with LTE+ speeds.... But you know sooner or later Digicel will wanna jump on the 5G bandwagon... Maybe won't be island wide, definitely Kingston initially...
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

I wonder what the new player going be doing? If they've not built out anything at all yet - they can go on this to be the first 5G provider.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    I wonder what the new player going be doing? If they've not built out anything at all yet - they can go on this to be the first 5G provider.
    aside from what they bring - coverage and pricing will be very important to be viable among the competitive areas, and also to exploit those unexplored areas that have a fair amount of persons living
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

The new provider was designated as a rural mobile internet provider operating on the 700Mhz band. As 5G is uncommon on the 700Mhz band it is possible but unlikely.

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/...aring-roll-out

https://store4g.com/blog/what-can-5g...and-700mhz-do/

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    The new provider was designated as a rural mobile internet provider operating on the 700Mhz band. As 5G is uncommon on the 700Mhz band it is possible but unlikely.

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/...aring-roll-out

https://store4g.com/blog/what-can-5g...and-700mhz-do/
    Correct. FLOW has recently asked the SMA about the availability of 450 & 600 MHz, to which our dearest regulators replied by saying that, in essence, they don't know if they'll ever be able to allow providers to offer low-band 5G spectrum for Jamaican consumers to access.