Thread: Flow Traditional Land Line vs Flow Cable Land line

Default Flow Traditional Land Line vs Flow Cable Land line

In a residential setting my friend has both,

Firstly the POTS twisted pair type land line that has been around for ages, it seem to be a bit costly, but the infrastructure can be robust as its power supply is independent form the power company (JPS). I believe that this technology was imported from the USA where federal law dictated that the phone company had its power supply independent of the electric company. I don't think there is any such law in Ja and I hear that it is being phased out. The one good thing is that this is robust my friends land line has stayed up during most major hurricanes.

On the other hand the IP based coaxial land lines I believe gives a certain number of minutes free? But it uses the house hold power supply hence if there is a power cut no phone. Can the number be ported over. can anyone tell me how many minutes free and to what networks,

and please do a general compare and contrast of the issues (my friend is not interested in a Digicel land line)

Thank You!

DSL vs HFC. The right person for this would be Brandysull or anyone that's in the ISP field.

Not my field though I have general knowledge - so correct me where I'm wrong please.

DSL is older technology. The speeds are slower. It is limited by the number of ports/cards available in the DSLAM. The speeds degrade over distance (attenuation). Service is available when there is an outage because the ISP has backup power/generators at the enclosed areas where their equipment lies.

HFC still suffers from attenuation, but the buildout of the network addresses this by not having any equipment associated with a node that's too far away. Doesn't mean you can't - but they just don't do it for best practices. You can get backup batteries for the nodes - but there's a history of them being stolen. So it's not usually done.

Fiber does have attenuation issues as well, but the distance is FAR more than copper lines. The links to each node isn't always fiber it seems like they use a main node in some areas with coaxial amplifiers.

DSL stays up because it travels on POTS. The thing is - your friend got lucky. If you have a storm and a tree takes down a line - that's it. We don't get major earthquakes in Jamaica so they should have invested in better infrastructure with most of the lines being buried. Less interruption to all services. If the link from your friend to the DSLAM went down - no internet. If the phone is what you're concerned about - the same principle applies. If there is a break somewhere the service would go down.

The difference in the services being up or not - POTS is focused on phones. The data is just a perk. HFC is focused on data/media with the phone being a perk. Basically. But all services go down on HFC - because there's no battery backup. Partly because the get stolen - partly because - FLOW. The reason POTS stays up is because the equipment is on a compound that's fenced. Persons going in do so at their own risk. The HFC backups are in boxes on the poles - people climb them and vandalize. They just need the battery.

If things were done differently - or underground - we wouldn't have these issues. Hopefully you can take away something from the long ranting - and hopefully it was somewhat informative.

For the persons in the industry - please make the corrections where needed.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

I have nothing to add to to Khat's rant as what he said is largely accurate and covers most of your questions.
    As for the amount of minutes free I am not sure as you can get bundles that have a certain amount of minutes so you will have to contact a Flow Rep.
    Also the number can be ported to HFC or any Home technology Flow Uses.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    I have nothing to add to to Khat's rant as what he said is largely accurate and covers most of your questions.
    As for the amount of minutes free I am not sure as you can get bundles that have a certain amount of minutes so you will have to contact a Flow Rep.
    Also the number can be ported to HFC or any Home technology Flow Uses.
    Thanks @BNOVA.

You can port TO HFC but NOT FROM. They don't allow you to go back. Other than moving away from the legacy lines, once ports become free they reassign them to someone else pretty quick.

Free minutes vary - you can check the FLOW site.

• 1000 Flow Minutes - Fixed & Mobile
    • 500 Digicel Minutes
    • 300 Minutes International calls
    • 36 HD Channels
    • 20 Hours Cloud Recording

https://discoverflow.co/jamaica/bundles/overview

With the new bundles.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".