Thread: Rock Mobile: Cabinet Approves Entrance of Third Telecommunications Company

Default Rock Mobile: Cabinet Approves Entrance of Third Telecommunications Company

Competition appears to be coming for Jamaica’s two established telecommunications companies, Digicel and Flow.

Technology Minister, Daryl Vaz, has disclosed that Cabinet has approved the entrance of a third telecommunications provider into the market.
    https://nationwideradiojm.com/rock-m...tions-company/
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

This is interesting news. Will they have their own lines going out? Or are they going to piggy-back on FLOW like everyone else?
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

FLOW is the only entity in Jamaica with subsea fibre optic lines leaving the country so they have no choice.

I am already predicting failure if they follow the same playbook as everyone else who has tried.

Jamaica needs more access to Internet services in rural communities. If that is not their number 1 priority then I don't anticipate them being in business for too long. Coverage and bandwidth is critical.

Jamaica does not need another mobile provider in the traditional sense so I hope I don't hear anything about mobile phones.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    FLOW is the only entity in Jamaica with subsea fibre optic lines leaving the country so they have no choice.

I am already predicting failure if they follow the same playbook as everyone else who has tried.

Jamaica needs more access to Internet services in rural communities. If that is not their number 1 priority then I don't anticipate them being in business for too long. Coverage and bandwidth is critical.

Jamaica does not need another mobile provider in the traditional sense so I hope I don't hear anything about mobile phones.
    I completely agree with you here. I'd have been much more pleased to see a firm focused on fixed broadband rather than another (likely to fail) Fixed Wireless Broadband solution. There innumerable options to deliver internet to digitally disconnected communities, the bigger and more crucial issue is ensuring island-wide competition in broadband. No one, neither the minister, the ministry, FLOW, or Digicel seems willing to take on the real elephant in the room.