Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effects of Social Media

Default Effects of Social Media

I watched the Netflix documentary "The Social Dilemma" last night and it pretty much confirmed my concerns and fears about the heavy usage of Social Media leading to addiction, self-harming and in some instances suicide. I grew up in a different era (ok, I'm a bit older) so maybe I can manage my usage of Social Media, but I'm concerned about my kids and the younger generation essentially being raised and crafted by corporate greed and agenda. But I'm sure it can't be all that bad, right? There must be some good use cases?
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

With responsible usage, social media can be useful for connecting with people and getting information out there. However, as with all things it is a double-edged sword. Social media is extremely influential, which results in a lot of people going down the wrong path via misinformation, corporate influence, popular influencers flashing the high life etc.

I'm ready for the next big thing now as social media has gone to the dogs, as mentioned, when used properly it's a great tool but said about 80% of social media users misuse the service and do all kinda crap in it....

And now on the other side of the fence, Social Media platforms in particular Facebook are implementing very heavy censoring which to me kills a great percentage of the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    And now on the other side of the fence, Social Media platforms in particular Facebook are implementing very heavy censoring which to me kills a great percentage of the experience.
    Social Media platforms that have been censor agents for one political ideology or another become propaganda agents. History repeats itself yet again.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Firstly kids will start needing glasses really quickly because they will get "near sited" and bright screens damage eyes faster. Secondly kids will survive social media - mostly. The problem will be the few that do not will get pushed to the side and forgotten. You cannot be sure who will or will not be adversely affected which makes it easy for society to subtly ignore them. The most annoying thing I find is that people on social media have no opinions like they exist in the waiting state of numbness purely to perpetuate things they are presented. Other than that social media is having little effect on the price of rice. It exists because its cheaper than the other options such as agriculture and education.

Deep thoughts there Owen. Agree with you also on the physical effects of heavy screen-time especially on the younger ones. Not sure if it has little effect on the "price of rice" as we say, but the full extent of its impact is really yet to be seen IMO.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Social media has done a lot of stuff. It's made some persons crave attention and validation online. This has been monetized by the companies that have been able to capitalize on the market. The initial use case was to be able to find old friends, schoolmates and family. Now? Attention. Views. Clicks. New definition for people having house colour. Anyways. We'll see as was said.

Owen. The screen time usage is not managed by the child or the parent. While newer screens don't "pull your eyes" like the old ones, you still have eye fatigue. There are methods (which I still don't follow sadly) to taking breaks to reduce this. Or buy them glasses like Barner or others to help with the glare/fatigue.

It's hard to tell persons that the crap they're doing is wrong. Not because it's hard to say, but because they won't listen.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

I tend to approach things from the worse case scenario hoping that the rest will work itself out. Most people tend to ignore problems until its too late to do anything about it. Another effect of social media which I need to write about is that we are losing our friends and family members because they will believe something that has 1million likes on social media over something that is happening right in front of them. All perspective and relativity is lost example the price of rice thing from above.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    I tend to approach things from the worse case scenario hoping that the rest will work itself out. Most people tend to ignore problems until its too late to do anything about it. Another effect of social media which I need to write about is that we are losing our friends and family members because they will believe something that has 1million likes on social media over something that is happening right in front of them. All perspective and relativity is lost example the price of rice thing from above.
    I'm khat17 and I approve this message. LoL.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    Thought I was the only one thinking that way. Friends and family having their decisions and opinions made by the mob rather than for themselves.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com