Thread: Using Different Subnet Masks with IP Classes ?

Question Using Different Subnet Masks with IP Classes ?

Good Day Everyone!

So I know the basics of Subnetting pretty much that each Class have their own default Subnet Mask and Identifying the host Network etc, but I always wonder if there are any Advantages\Disadvantages of using different Subnet Masks with IP Classes. eg: Class A 10.0.0.1 using Subnet Masks 255.255.255.0 ?
    HP 450 G4 - i5 (7th Gen) 3.1Ghz | 12GB DDR4 2133Mhz | 500GB HD + 256GB M.2 NVMe | Intel HD 620 | Asus RT-N66U (Merlin) Custom Firmware | 6TB HDD (Total) | JBL Pro Desktop Speakers | Skullcandy Indy Earbuds...

I use class A IPs with incorrect subnets all the time. Never really had issues. One of the things that the subnet really does is limit the number of IPs available. So....for example. 255.255.255.252 will allow only 2 users on the network.

https://serverfault.com/questions/87...rs-on-a-router

That may explain it a bit better. The MAIN reason I can think of with using the proper class/subnet is to adhere to auditing. If you've got a home or small business then it really doesn't matter.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Thanks for replying and for your Insightful thoughts on the matter, my thoughts Exactly! just get a little paranoid sometimes when it comes to network security ...Lol!
    HP 450 G4 - i5 (7th Gen) 3.1Ghz | 12GB DDR4 2133Mhz | 500GB HD + 256GB M.2 NVMe | Intel HD 620 | Asus RT-N66U (Merlin) Custom Firmware | 6TB HDD (Total) | JBL Pro Desktop Speakers | Skullcandy Indy Earbuds...

It is best practice to use the private IP Classes for LANs. As Khat said the mask is mainly to dictate the amount of host available for a particular subnet.
    It is good to keep track of what is being used where however.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    It is best practice to use the private IP Classes for LANs. As Khat said the mask is mainly to dictate the amount of host available for a particular subnet.
    Agreed. Thanks for adding that for clarity. Always document your stuff.

https://www.howtoforge.com/ip-management-with-phpip
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    Thanks for the info and replying ...