Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Digicel and flow Bankrupt by 2025

Default Digicel and flow Bankrupt by 2025

I believe Digicel and Flow, well most isps around the world will be bankrupt by 2025

When Elon https://www.starlink.com/ is active internet is going to be too competitive for companies like Digicel and Flow

but the one that I believe will drive a nail in the coffin is Amazon internet service, if you guys don't think this rich **** is not going to include free internet with prime, think again.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...ct-11596158006

Pluss it can not be controlled by internal governments crazy, maybe the us but that's it.
    Remember to take a look at http://www.google.com/mapmaker

Internet access is becoming more of an institutionalized essential service rather than luxury commodity. The ISP landscape will have to change over time.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

It depends on the Latency really and how safe these signals are. I have Prime so I wouldn't mind having two internet sources. Broadband internet on the go like a car would be cool.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Latency will comparable to land based services, because this is low orbit, older satellite internet orbited hundreds of miles higher so they could use less satellites. The newer network has thousands of satellites

Quote Originally Posted by VRTECJA View Post
    Latency will comparable to land based services, because this is low orbit, older satellite internet orbited hundreds of miles higher so they could use less satellites. The newer network has thousands of satellites
    Call me an Anti-Elonite but I fail to see how this technology will provide greater speed and capacity than what ViaSat offers (and plans to offer) in the abovementioned timeline. Also, Terrestrial networks also have, by then, vastly outstripped their LEO counterparts in raw throughput & capacity. It will take sheer luck for an LEO ISP to outcompete future-proofed terrestrial networks that carry data, voice & video on BOTH mobile & fixed broadband.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Aug 1, 2020 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Call me an Anti-Elonite but I fail to see how this technology will provide greater speed and capacity than what ViaSat offers (and plans to offer) in the abovementioned timeline. Also, Terrestrial networks also have, by then, vastly outstripped their LEO counterparts in raw throughput & capacity. It will take sheer luck for an LEO ISP to outcompete future-proofed terrestrial networks that carry data, voice & video on BOTH mobile & fixed broadband.
    SpaceX’s satellite internet system is designed to offer blazing fast speeds up to 1 gigabit per second.

The company projects that Starlink latency (or lag time) will be as low as 15 milliseconds.

https://www.satelliteinternet.com/pr...ly%20available.

Cool

No Country will allow their local telecom industry to be extinguished and controlled solely by foreign companies and governments. It will be really stupid.
    Governments can go as far as to ban the importation and use of hardware required to access these services if it threatens the local providers. Or require the satellites to not broadcast a signal over their country in defiance of their broadcast spectrum laws so you're wrong about the government's part. Also, remember governments collect significant revenues from telecoms licenses and user taxes.

What if there is a major accident in space that wipes out tons of LEO satellites in one go? Or becomes the target of Chinese missiles in a new cold war? Do you know how long it will take to replace those?

With the internet becoming more and more like the lifeblood of society do you think its smart depend only on Space X and Amazon for the internet?
    I'm not sure if your aware but Amazon is currently before the US congress for antitrust behaviours. Using their position to extinguish competition. What if they suddenly introduce data caps and metering? What do you think will happen when these companies are the sole provider of the internet to a country or the whole world?

What I do think will happen is that there is plenty of time for local telecoms to adapt and provide faster better service! I doubt they will be out of business as you proclaim. If possible I'll probably get the LEO internet as a backup for when local service is down. And It will be good for people in low service areas to have more options.
    Last edited by leoandru; Aug 4, 2020 at 03:35 AM. Reason: grammer & spelling

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru View Post
    No Country will allow their local telecom industry to be extinguished and controlled solely by foreign companies and governments. It will be really stupid.
    Governments can go as far as to ban the importation and use of hardware required to access these services if it threatens the local providers. Or require the satellites to not broadcast a signal over their country in defiance of their broadcast spectrum laws so you're wrong about the government's part. Also, remember governments collect significant revenues from telecoms licenses and user taxes.

What if there is a major accident in space that wipes out tons of LEO satellites in one go? Or becomes the target of Chinese missiles in a new cold war? Do you know how long it will take to replace those?

With the internet becoming more and more like the lifeblood of society do you think its smart depend only on Space X and Amazon for the internet?
    I'm not sure if your aware but Amazon is currently before the US congress for antitrust behaviours. Using their position to extinguish competition. What if they suddenly introduce data caps and metering? What do you think will happen when these companies are the sole provider of the internet to a country or the whole world?

What I do think will happen is that there is plenty of time for local telecoms to adapt and provide faster better service! I doubt they will be out of business as you proclaim. If possible I'll probably get the LEO internet as a backup for when local service is down. And It will be good for people in low service areas to have more options.
    You honestly think flow and digicel will have more redundancy and offer a better uptime than starlink.
    That is like comparing NCB to google.

You know digicel buys data from flow it's more likely our deep sea cables get knock out before the satellites I am sure they will have more uplink stations than we have under water cables in jamaica.

We are talking thousand of satellites

I am sure you will have isps but will they ever be profitable.

With thousands of satellites I dont think its possible for the signal to be blocked and they not going to regulate their signals for any country.

Check the link below The small plate looking thing is the rumored receiver so good luck stopping that coming in.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...s-2020-6%3famp

The service will be up by next year I have signed up for testing here in NY so local players in jamaica dont have much time.

Again pricing will determine everything but considering it cost them 10 billion for a global network they can make that back in the first year charging a modest rate.
    Last edited by VRTECJA; Aug 4, 2020 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VRTECJA View Post
    You honestly think flow and digicel will have more redundancy and offer a better uptime than starlink.
    That is like comparing NCB to google.

You know digicel buys data from flow it's more likely our deep sea cables get knock out before the satellites I am sure they will have more uplink stations than we have under water cables in jamaica.

We are talking thousand of satellites
    Does not matter how many satellites they can be wiped out easily by space weather, space junk or deliberate action. I would even argue its easeir to take down these satellites that to take out a bunch of subsea cable links. And what is redudant about depending solely on LEO satellite internet rather than adding it as another backhaul option or an option for remote areas?

It's not a good idea scuttling countries local network infrastructure to depend solely on foreign companies governments has no regulations over. What if the government wants to guarantee that citizens connected to fixed-line broadband aren't subjected to data caps and metering?
    How do we know these companies won't change the service once they lore thousands of customers? It just won't happen. Don''t forget we have heard hype before how bitcoin and cryptocurrencies are going to replace money.. turns out it did not! And I'm willing to bet LEO satellite internet won't replace local terrestrial broadband internet not even in Jamaica. Local telecoms will invest in better technology that delivers comparable speeds.

Aside from that I have been following technical details behind starlink and there are lots of questions about data capacity (20gbps for each satellite + maximum of 60 visible at any one time, Jamaica subsea cable have far more capacity than that) and power usage for data transmissions. Those little transmitters may consume a lot of power making them even more expensive than local internet especially in a market like Jamaica where electricity is expensive.

Yes goverments can request that singals be blocked of stopped the same way they control their broadcast spectrum and air space

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru View Post
    Does not matter how many satellites they can be wiped out easily by space weather, space junk or deliberate action. I would even argue its easeir to take down these satellites that to take out a bunch of subsea cable links. And what is redudant about depending solely on LEO satellite internet rather than adding it as another backhaul option or an option for remote areas?

It's not a good idea scuttling countries local network infrastructure to depend solely on foreign companies governments has no regulations over. What if the government wants to guarantee that citizens connected to fixed-line broadband aren't subjected to data caps and metering?
    How do we know these companies won't change the service once they lore thousands of customers? It just won't happen. Don''t forget we have heard hype before how bitcoin and cryptocurrencies are going to replace money.. turns out it did not! And I'm willing to bet LEO satellite internet won't replace local terrestrial broadband internet not even in Jamaica. Local telecoms will invest in better technology that delivers comparable speeds.

Aside from that I have been following technical details behind starlink and there are lots of questions about data capacity (20gbps for each satellite + maximum of 60 visible at any one time, Jamaica subsea cable have far more capacity than that) and power usage for data transmissions. Those little transmitters may consume a lot of power making them even more expensive than local internet especially in a market like Jamaica where electricity is expensive.

Yes goverments can request that singals be blocked of stopped the same way they control their broadcast spectrum and air space
    I am done nothing u say makes sense I can go on a boat and cut the cable myself... 12000 satellites again 12000, unlike our local companies competition would not allow any argument u put forward.

They are more like the dish for direct tv they are small because the satellites are so low for example a gps satellite is 20,200 km above earth but your phone can still ping it

The other piece of equipment will be no more bigger than a cable modem

You CAN NOT BLOCK IT a global network is just that global, worst we so close to the USA block it and what Florida, Haiti, and all the people in international waters dont get service LOL. DIRECT tv still work in Jamaica because they could not stop the signal. And this network has thousands more satellites than direct tv and dish
    Remember to take a look at http://www.google.com/mapmaker