Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hello programmers 2020

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    Indexed search form written in php. Still needs a 4th level of indexing but I have not figured out how to do it as yet. Keep you personal projects small and you'll finish more of them before they become legacy.
    Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by campbellsinvestment View Post
    Been lurking mostly. New to programming world. Not a programmer at all, but been fooling around python code & pycharm. Few months ago, hijacked a little code with the Google Maps api and launched on play store -> SuperchargerMap.com
    Well that's a start. Don't lose motivation.
    Just an average web developer.

I wonder how hard it would be to build one of those zooming google maps. How much data is it in total? Currently my search index is 5.9 gbs which is crunched down to 30 mb so that it can fit in the server memory. The problem of memory management does seem to dissuade developers especially when cloud is so easy to get into but it leads to a even bigger problem of them not knowing or having vague knowledge of how these systems work.
    Last edited by owen; May 14, 2020 at 10:12 PM.

Hail to everyone.

I am mostly a PHP/WordPress plugin developer with a focus on the food blogging and book review niches.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

@gW33Zy how are you managing with the changes that the PHP are making? especially with trash they are adding to PHP 7 and 8? Or that doesnt affect what you do?

@gW33Zy how are you managing with the changes that the PHP are making? especially with trash they are adding to PHP 7 and 8? Or that doesnt affect what you do?
    Because most of my work is WordPress related, I usually aim for PHP 5.6 feature support even though I develop with PHP 7.4. I only care about the speed improvements of > 7.0, not the new features and such.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

@gw55zy Same here. None of the new OOP stuff interests me and PHP was pretty fast. I am currently upgrading one of my apps to PHP7 but really all I am doing it removing the deprecated Preg-eval calls. otherwise 5.6 is enough for my usage.

Let me jump in.

I too love php, but in recent time having spending alot more time with packaged Frameworks instead of building my own. My last two projects: http://fiwiyaad.com and https://tokengen.info/.

In the last 4 months (pandemic time) - I have taught my self react native and publish my first app
    Why fight Information Technology when you can outsource IT

@overkill package frameworks are all the hype among modern php dudes on reddit but they seem to waste a whole lot of time googling and reading docs. React is interesting but has the same problem. Eitherway glad to see people working on stuff.

I completely agree... gone are the the days when you had code php, and a script that was a "SCRIPT", now these package pass array in to predefined function, 80% of which you will never use. which make anyone with google sense a php programmer.

but pay me no mind i currently do the same...lol
    Why fight Information Technology when you can outsource IT

how is that going? Are you able to automatically post to a twitter account or do you have to use a service? I use a service to post my rss feed to twitter (its limited to 5 posts perday) because I took one look at the twitter api and was like fts.
    super late sorry!

I am able to post directly to Twitter via the api but host the python code on a third party service. Thinking of getting raspberry pi to host and run current and future simple python projects.
    Proud Jamaican and Japan Enthusiast
    www.Jamaipanese.com
    Jamaica + Japan