Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow Has Upgraded Internet Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Not sure either ... could be "user error"? Anyways, I've undeleted it.
    LoL - no prob Chris. It's fine though since I put back the info in any case. I'll video it next time and link so you can see. But I tried to edit from Chrome/Android/Mobile and when I touched in the text area it deleted the message instead of allowing the edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Powpow View Post
    KMT Flow called me saying I am loyal customer cause I wid them from 128 mb days and offer to upgrade my flame package to whichever one give mi from 60 - 100 Mbps and some lifetime channel and more free land line minutes for the low low price of just $500 more on my bill .

So I told em NOPE, I'm good with what I have cause when I had the 2 Mbps connection I was getting 70+ ping on League of Legends server when they made the move closer to us and with this 60 Mbps connection I am still getting the same ping. I am not lagging when streaming on youtube 1080p which is what I view most of my videos that support it in and I don't lag anymore with other people doing their whatsapp and streaming that used to inconvenience me a lot so why pay extra for what I don't need? They need to focus on reducing my ping more and give me a reason for that upg
    I understand - but it's the upload speeds I'm interested in. Once they fix that I'll be happier.
    Last edited by khat17; Dec 2, 2020 at 03:13 PM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

How curious that this is an active topic here as I'd been seeing some very interesting developments on the HFC side. I recently did a speed test on Testmy.net which, not only returned 129 Mbit/s download speed on my 100 Mbit/s subscription but also recorded an eye-popping 630 Mbit/s peak in the course of the DL test. This is especially crazy to me, a Montego Bay resident who, a year ago, was an ADSL subscriber.

As to the talk of higher UL speeds per the T&Cs, it actually accounts for FLOW fibre customers -- who benefit from symmetric speeds. HFC will see UL speed increases soon, no doubt. I suspect that FLOW is readied for DOCSIS 3.1, to bridge the gap while they transition to FTTH in the mid-2020s. A few group-wide products are certain to be hitting the market (Jamaica) soon and these recent moves will become absolutely critical.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Dec 2, 2020 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru View Post
    Did anyone listen to the swearing-in ceremony of the Prime Minister? Maybe I should start a new thread for this if I can find details anywhere.
    They claim they will build an all-island fiber network owned and managed by the government through which ISPs will deliver service. I'm always skeptical of anything government managed; however, if it's anything like this:

I'm all for it.
    The government made a presentation in parliament. The goal is to have every home connected to fiber by 2025 at a cost of 237 million USD.
    link to story
    I Will update with the JIS link if they provide more information later. Probably this deserves its own thread?

I don't think a new thread is necessary. We all have lived here from before FLOW started services and in the introduction of Digicel and the many WISPs that have come and gone.

There will be no chance of every home in Jamaica going being connected by fibre by 2025 or 2030. It just not economically feasible for any investor, Government or Communication Services Provider.

I am in agreement however with getting another undersea fibre provider as currently all 4 links are owned by the same entity as there could be a means of lower prices due to competition.

It is sad when these pronouncements are made without technical consultation or a guarantee in terms of funding. S I G H

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    There will be no chance of every home in Jamaica going being connected by fibre by 2025 or 2030. It just not economically feasible for any investor, Government or Communication Services Provider.

I am in agreement however with getting another undersea fibre provider as currently all 4 links are owned by the same entity as there could be a means of lower prices due to competition.

It is sad when these pronouncements are made without technical consultation or a guarantee in terms of funding. S I G H
    Its an ambitious goal to have fiber to every home by 2025.. Like you I doubt it will happen in that timeline. If they are serious and this gets off the ground maybe they will cover 70 ~ 90 % of metropolitan and urban areas by 2025. As for economic feasibility I don't think that is the aim of the government. I think they are putting in the investment for social, mobile and economic development. Its not a for profit network, but should be self sustaining. I like the idea a lot, just not sure if it will come to reality yet?

It will be interesting to have more people on the internet but i dont see how its going to improve their lives since when they cant effectively use the platform. It might invariantly lead people deeper into poverty and depression because as with all these so called "industries" having access does not mean people will benefit. Some of these areas dont even have access roads - I mean you cant go there at all.

Recent updates on the FLOW HFC side; they've upgraded their upload speeds now. I'm clocking 22 Mbit/s on the uplink now. Not sure what the speeds are like on the 150 Mbps package though.

Are you all seeing these upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post

Recent updates on the FLOW HFC side; they've upgraded their upload speeds now. I'm clocking 22 Mbit/s on the uplink now. Not sure what the speeds are like on the 150 Mbps package though.

Are you all seeing these upgrades?
    I have 50mbps and 100mbps packages.. both still stuck on 5mbps upload...
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    I have 50mbps and 100mbps packages.. both still stuck on 5mbps upload...
    Give the routers a reboot. It should trigger a new subscription .bin download from the CMTS. Also, I'm only able to report on these changes on their Connect Box "Mercury" modems. The older Arris boxes max out at 4 DOCSIS uplink channels whereas the Connect Boxes max out at 8 channels.

My hunch tells me they're going to revise the subscription speeds on the download soon too. I was able to capture several instances of their modems hitting burst speeds of up to 600 Mbit/s. This is right in line with their Panamanian offerings, which go from 200 & 400 Mbps down & 10 Mbps up AND up to 600 Mbps & 15 Mbps up. They also offer gigabit speeds there but the upload speeds are unclear. Anyway... my point is that I expect to see those moves here soon if recent developments continue.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Dec 21, 2020 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Give the routers a reboot. It should trigger a new subscription .bin download from the CMTS. Also, I'm only able to report on these changes on their Connect Box "Mercury" modems. The older Arris boxes max out at 4 DOCSIS uplink channels whereas the Connect Boxes max out at 8 channels.

My hunch tells me they're going to revise the subscription speeds on the download soon too. I was able to capture several instances of their modems hitting burst speeds of up to 600 Mbit/s. This is right in line with their Panamanian offerings, which go from 200 & 400 Mbps down & 10 Mbps up AND up to 600 Mbps & 15 Mbps up. They also offer gigabit speeds there but the upload speeds are unclear. Anyway... my point is that I expect to see those moves here soon if recent developments continue.
    Rebooted, still 5....