Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Unleashed!!

Greatis

The best thing Jet Li has done since crossing over was Lethal Weapon 4. I took great pride in seeing him maul Mel Gibson and Danny Glover's azzes. But like Matronyx and Death_Knight have been saying, nothing that he has done since crossing over is even remotely as good as what he has done in Hong Kong. Consider the following films:

1. The Fist of Legend - arguably the best modern martial arts film ever made.
    2. Once Upon a Time in China - Classic.
    3. My Father is A Hero - Classic
    4. Tai Chi - Classic
    5. The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk - My personal favourite
    6. The Bodyguard from Bei Jing - Jet Li's most complex martial arts sequence movie
    7. Shaolin Temple - His first movie, made when he was only 19 years old

Unleashed (formerly titled Danny The Dog) is just an attempt at giving Jet Li more mature roles in film. But I lost off Jet Li for turning down the Super Agent role in The Matrix: Reloaded for doing The One. As bad as Reloaded was, the One was faaar worse.

Yes, they were paying him more money to do the latter, but he would have been an instant Hall of Famer if he did Matrix: Reloaded. More people would have seen that movie than The One. Just goes to show that he can't think for five minutes in front of his face with 9 million (for The One) vs. 3 million (for Reloaded) being given to him as an option. Reloaded would have been the best film he did since Lethal Weapon 4. Stupid Jet Li. Stupid, stupid, stupid, STUPID.

I was his biggest fan damnit! I even boughtsed his DVDs! ...and look what he's done? He's ruinse'd it!

I don't care how good a movie Unleashed (or anything else he will do) will be. Turning down Reloaded was a BAD decision. If they were paying me a dollar to do a Stephen Spielburg movie as opposed to 100 million for an Adam Sandler movie, the choice is clear. That 100 million will not get me noticed like that 1 dollar for a Spielburg film. Jet Li is only still famous because of his Hong Kong films. Those who are seeing him for the first time will no doubt be wowed. But for those of us who've loved the dude from his Hong Kong days, we are not impressed.

I won't spend a red cent on Unleashed. I'm sorry. I'm siding with death_knight on this one. Until Jet Li returns to his roots (Hero wasn't too shabby), I'm staying away from Jet Li movies. He's broken my heart once too often already.

Quote Originally Posted by Cler1c
    dem been makin movies in america for ages now (more than 5 yrs.) and dem still a struggle wid english, dat needs fi fix (opinion)
    - I know two Jamaicans in Japan and Spain respectively. They've both lived here for 25 and 27 years respectively. They moved to those countries nearly 10 years ago. To this day, the Jamaican in Japan speaks Japanese with a J'can accent. The Jamaican in Spain speaks Spanish with an english accent. I know that Jet Li is from China, but the difference in accent and language is miniscule.

Try moving to a country where not only the language is different, but the writing and accent is different too. Worse yet, move to that country after spending nearly 30 years of your life speaking english. Let's see if you can speak fluent Chinese or Spanish, complete with the accent, after 5 years. Trust me, it is MUCH harder than it seems.

my 2 cents.
    Jet Li acted in this movie... and he acted well for Jet Li... his Danny the Dog was nuanced and well developed... i wouldnt expect an oscar performance at this stage but i was impressed.
    his action moves were below par on this one. as my brother said, jet li being a brutish attack dog has too much style to it.
    that aside, please realise he was sandwiched between Bob Hoskins and Morgan Freeman who are heavyweight veteran actors. i am sure they carried him somewhat, but he had to amp up his acting himself.
    i will say, i enjoyed the movie, but it seems to me that the story wasnt paced right after the first half. everything seemed in a hurry to wrap itself up after that, the explanation of his origin, everything just tripping over itself to reach the credits.
    a few things i liked,
    *SPOILER*
    the comparison of the dog collar and the bow tie, a lot subtler human metaphor than the out of tune pianos
    the attempt to turn jet li into a brawler... i say attempt because dem lick deh still look like wushu to me.. but i bet the choreography was fun to do.
    the supermarket scene where someone gets his *** beat by two thugs... and danny is serenely searching for ripe melons.
    Bob Hoskins characters dream, the other side of himself.. or perhaps the karma that comes for him, a foreshadowing thing...

what i didnt like..
    the underground club fight scene where everyone rushes him with weapons... i liked this scene when Goku did it in DBZ, i liked it when it happened in the police station in Kiss of the Dragon... innovate something now, or lay it to rest... its not new anymore.
    ... the complete evil of Bob Hoskins character. no redeeming attributes, just a creature of lust and evil who turns out to hate himself and want to drag people down with him. he played the character well, but not much depth to it apart from the dream at the beginning.
    the fact that danny as good is less fearsome or determined than danny as dog. sure you dont want to hurt people, but if you protecting something you protect it. why you makin a bunch of punks chase you away if you can tear through them?
    ( i blame Superman, who started all this BS by being kind to his attackers. also, Vash the Stampede. )

all in all, this movie was worth a money... the first half anyways. maybe a 2 for 1 at carib.
    Do nothing which is of no use.
    The Way is in Training.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocrates
    Greatis

The best thing Jet Li has done since crossing over was Lethal Weapon 4. I took great pride in seeing him maul Mel Gibson and Danny Glover's azzes. But like Matronyx and Death_Knight have been saying, nothing that he has done since crossing over is even remotely as good as what he has done in Hong Kong. Consider the following films:

1. The Fist of Legend - arguably the best modern martial arts film ever made.
    2. Once Upon a Time in China - Classic.
    3. My Father is A Hero - Classic
    4. Tai Chi - Classic
    5. The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk - My personal favourite
    6. The Bodyguard from Bei Jing - Jet Li's most complex martial arts sequence movie
    7. Shaolin Temple - His first movie, made when he was only 19 years old

Unleashed (formerly titled Danny The Dog) is just an attempt at giving Jet Li more mature roles in film. But I lost off Jet Li for turning down the Super Agent role in The Matrix: Reloaded for doing The One. As bad as Reloaded was, the One was faaar worse.

Yes, they were paying him more money to do the latter, but he would have been an instant Hall of Famer if he did Matrix: Reloaded. More people would have seen that movie than The One. Just goes to show that he can't think for five minutes in front of his face with 9 million (for The One) vs. 3 million (for Reloaded) being given to him as an option. Reloaded would have been the best film he did since Lethal Weapon 4. Stupid Jet Li. Stupid, stupid, stupid, STUPID.

I was his biggest fan damnit! I even boughtsed his DVDs! ...and look what he's done? He's ruinse'd it!

I don't care how good a movie Unleashed (or anything else he will do) will be. Turning down Reloaded was a BAD decision. If they were paying me a dollar to do a Stephen Spielburg movie as opposed to 100 million for an Adam Sandler movie, the choice is clear. That 100 million will not get me noticed like that 1 dollar for a Spielburg film. Jet Li is only still famous because of his Hong Kong films. Those who are seeing him for the first time will no doubt be wowed. But for those of us who've loved the dude from his Hong Kong days, we are not impressed.

I won't spend a red cent on Unleashed. I'm sorry. I'm siding with death_knight on this one. Until Jet Li returns to his roots (Hero wasn't too shabby), I'm staying away from Jet Li movies. He's broken my heart once too often already.

- I know two Jamaicans in Japan and Spain respectively. They've both lived here for 25 and 27 years respectively. They moved to those countries nearly 10 years ago. To this day, the Jamaican in Japan speaks Japanese with a J'can accent. The Jamaican in Spain speaks Spanish with an english accent. I know that Jet Li is from China, but the difference in accent and language is miniscule.

Try moving to a country where not only the language is different, but the writing and accent is different too. Worse yet, move to that country after spending nearly 30 years of your life speaking english. Let's see if you can speak fluent Chinese or Spanish, complete with the accent, after 5 years. Trust me, it is MUCH harder than it seems.

but i did say struggle with english which is annoying
    i refuse to beleive they should be struggling.
    its lik emeeting a german who struggles with english
    very rare
    i've met alot of them
    a whole whol elot of them
    so its jus certain things u expect and i stated mine
    in the end the threads about unleashed and i already gave my opinion on that
    bless
    "Dont watch me ... watch TV"

hey careful wid di dissin adam sandler flicks xeno
    did u watch the waterboy?
    it did well in profits both in theaters and dvd sales
    plus di dude have happy gilmore, big daddy, anger management
    hilarious fellow, with great films.
    AND THEY DO WELL

bless

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMac2
    what i didnt like..
    the underground club fight scene where everyone rushes him with weapons... i liked this scene when Goku did it in DBZ, i liked it when it happened in the police station in Kiss of the Dragon... innovate something now, or lay it to rest... its not new anymore.
    THAT is what I LOVE about Jet-Li's movies!!! No one man rushing at a time... like those silly slow-choreographed-elongated-karate flicks we love to watch on a friday night.
    It is more realistic...think about it, if you and your friends were thinking of beating up a tough guy...would you like them to stand by and wait till you get all broken nose, cracked ribs etc. before another ONE of them decides to jump in??
    Riiiiight
    Calm Like a BOMB

Cler1c

- You're right, except that Germans are taught English as a part of their school curriculum. You can't graduate from a German (or any non-english European) highschool without speaking english. That's the difference.

In China it's a very different scenario. Most asians cross over without ever learning the language. Furthermore, their text is radically different from ours. So they not only have to learn a new language, they have to learn new phonetic pronunciations as well. If you've ever mastered any other language other than English, you'll realise how incredibly hard learning english really is! Japanese by contrast is ridiculously simple to learn. It's nowhere near as complicated grammatically as english. The same applies to chinese. That's why you hear Asian people speak without the use of verb tense and articulates like "the", "a" or "an". European languages however differ, because they are based on the same linguistic system as english. So it's much easier for a german to master english than for a chinese immigrant.

Quote Originally Posted by Cler1c
    hey careful wid di dissin adam sandler flicks xeno
    did u watch the waterboy?
    - Not dissing Adam Sandler movies. Don't get me wrong, Adam Sandler has made some incredibly funny pictures! But if I were given a choice between working for Sandler for 100 mil and Spielburg for 1 mil, I'd still choose Spielburg. Sandler's movies won't get the same kind of critical review by the Motion Picture Academy of Arts, Science and Technology. Spielburg's movies will. That's the difference.

That's why I say that Jet Li's choice was poor. You zimi? He got more pay for The One, but his choice will not get him noticed like it would if he had done Matrix: Reloaded. Take Vin Diesel for example:

He started out small in a Spielburg movie called "Saving Private Ryan". He wasn't paid even in the million dollar region. In fact, his pay on that movie was little more than $10,000. But that earned him CRITICAL REVIEW as a good upcoming actor. Same thing with Matt Damon and the truck load of other unknowns in that movie. Now those actors are A-List people today, bringing in no less than 10 mill and 15 mil per movie. You see what I mean?

Jet Li needs to make more intelligent choices re the movies he has appeared in recently. Jet Li's first crossover movie was Lethal Weapon 4. That gave him a LOT of exposure because the franchise is famous as it had Mel Gibson and Danny Glover pushing the star power in the film. Jet Li isn't ready to star his own movies in Hollywood until he has racked up enough "partnership" films with other more famous actors and directors. The more famous the partnership, the more famous the actor. You get me?

Look at Tom Cruise. If you saw the teaser trailer for The War of the Worlds, you saw two names being flashed:

Stephen Spielburg
    Tom Cruise

In most cases, just seing "directed by Stephen Spielburg" is enough to rocket you to super stardom. Starring alongside C-List actors and stuntmen won't get you that kind of recognition. Even Adam Sandler is wising up. Notice that he is slowly drifting away from the slapstick comedy genre and doing more serious drama / comedy types of pictures. Sandler realises the same thing I'm telling you right now. The choice of movie you make GREATLY influences your career's success.

I'm still waiting on Jet Li to make a decent movie choice. At least now he's got Morgan Freeman as an A-list actor in this flick. I wish him luck.

Quote Originally Posted by matronyx
    THAT is what I LOVE about Jet-Li's movies!!! No one man rushing at a time... like those silly slow-choreographed-elongated-karate flicks we love to watch on a friday night.
    It is more realistic...think about it, if you and your friends were thinking of beating up a tough guy...would you like them to stand by and wait till you get all broken nose, cracked ribs etc. before another ONE of them decides to jump in??
    Riiiiight
    i know rite
    i love it that jet li seem to tek on a small army everytime him fight
    and him not always on the defensive like jackie chan usually is
    he's on the attacking alot
    in his older films he always seemed in cntrol of every situation
    in these new brute fight movies he still seems to have control
    "i dunt wanna hurt ppl anymore"
    but it real in that the enemies attack together

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocrates
    Cler1c

-
    That's why I say that Jet Li's choice was poor. You zimi? He got more pay for The One, but his choice will not get him noticed like it would if he had done Matrix: Reloaded. Take Vin Diesel for example:

He started out small in a Spielburg movie called "Saving Private Ryan". He wasn't paid even in the million dollar region. In fact, his pay on that movie was little more than $10,000. But that earned him CRITICAL REVIEW as a good upcoming actor. Same thing with Matt Damon and the truck load of other unknowns in that movie. Now those actors are A-List people today, bringing in no less than 10 mill and 15 mil per movie. You see what I mean?

Jet Li needs to make more intelligent choices re the movies he has appeared in recently. The choice of movie you make GREATLY influences your career's success.
    EXCELLENT POINT XENO Way to earn them cookies Son!

Quote Originally Posted by blindz
    ahhhhhmmmm, not certain if I should be saying this but.... this movie was quite decent still, I enjoyed it, ya
    I completely agree with Blindz on this one.

I know with every Jet Li movie of course we expect the best of kicking action.

But I didnt like movie for the fighting beat up scene. But for the character Jet Li played so well that could have been weaved into a more better film.

Thumbs up and highly recommended.

Xeno "the one" was the worse movie, that I agree with I dont even want the dvd.
    Last edited by ProdMaster; May 29, 2005 at 06:20 PM.
    Vision without Mission is Daydreaming!

Yeah I enjoyed it too. The fight sceens had a bit of freshness (didn't fell like iv been there seen that b4 kinda feeling). Especially the fight in the passage with the dude in the white outfit.. Ya.. Funny the title of the movie I watched was "danny the dog".