Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Digicel: Unlimited Talk To Any Network

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.dre View Post
    I did a few speed-tests in downtown Kingston about 2-3 weeks ago and speeds ranged between 20-35 on digicel LTE, best i have seen in a while there.
    From speed reports I've seen, that is pretty much on the top end of what they produce on average. People are hitting 200 Mbit/s on the competition. IDGI... this is bonkers. Load or not... I've seen areas with heavy traffic like HWT or even Hip Strip in Mobay on the competition hitting near 100 Mbit/s. What is Digicel up to?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    And you're on LTE+? Say it ain't so.
    How you know when it's LTE+?? Phone just says LTE

How's the data been on Digicel now? Have they turned up the new ZTE sites in Kingston & other areas yet? The competition is pretty LTE Advanced (LTE+) in places like MoBay (hitting 170 Mbit/s at lunch hour) and are intending to soon add Band 12/13 soon. I'd love to see that they're at least competing.
    Has Flow now acquired Band 13 700mhz?. I'm wondering if they will be able to, seeing that band 13 is still in the possession of Caricel.

From speed reports I've seen, that is pretty much on the top end of what they produce on average. People are hitting 200 Mbit/s on the competition. IDGI... this is bonkers. Load or not... I've seen areas with heavy traffic like HWT or even Hip Strip in Mobay on the competition hitting near 100 Mbit/s. What is Digicel up to?
    Digicel is up to returning to growth with the least CAPEX expenses as possible. I emailed Mr Parkinson some recommendations I think would put them at equal footing with Flow as it relates to LTE. He said that Digicel has adequate bands to carry out carrier aggregation. And would not stop there, as they seek to increase speeds and capacity on their LTE Network. Digicel needs wideband spectrum to increase speeds and capacity on their LTE Network, I recommended 20mhz of band 7 or Band 2. Truth be told, I think Digicel is just too broke to invest in a high tech LTE network, like Flow. Digicel is Jamaica's Sprint, Sprints filing to the SEC and the FCC explained that years of underinvestment in the Network. Plus low ARPU and subscriber growth. Resulted in poor financial returns, and the company not having the funds to invest in the network. This is the reality that Faces Digicel, don't know when they will get out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    How you know when it's LTE+?? Phone just says LTE
    If you are using Samsung or other major Android brands, they Carrier aggregation will display in the status bar as LTE+ or 4G+. In service mode for Samsung *#0011# if you see CA added, then you will know you have LTE+. I'm not sure how the procedure works for Apple IPhones.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Digicel is up to returning to growth with the least CAPEX expenses as possible. I emailed Mr Parkinson some recommendations I think would put them at equal footing with Flow as it relates to LTE. He said that Digicel has adequate bands to carry out carrier aggregation. And would not stop there, as they seek to increase speeds and capacity on their LTE Network. Digicel needs wideband spectrum to increase speeds and capacity on their LTE Network, I recommended 20mhz of band 7 or Band 2. Truth be told, I think Digicel is just too broke to invest in a high tech LTE network, like Flow. Digicel is Jamaica's Sprint, Sprints filing to the SEC and the FCC explained that years of underinvestment in the Network. Plus low ARPU and subscriber growth. Resulted in poor financial returns, and the company not having the funds to invest in the network. This is the reality that Faces Digicel, don't know when they will get out of it.
    I think it's a little of that and their debt issues blighting their prospects. Moreover, the current international political landscape has not favoured further business development with regard to their "digital future". ZTE is practically a black sheep and, given Digicel recent capital infusion into products from that vendor & now going full throttle with it, I'm unsure about the glidepath to 5G for their current products. I don't even know if ZTE products can perform as well as Huawei much Ericsson. FLOW has Uplink & Downlink Carrier Aggregation going in Kingston and some serious 2 20x20 MHz LTE channels pumping out 200 Mbit/s on a normal day. Factor in FLOW's latent plans for VoLTE on their Low band spectrum & (soon) practically unlimited everything plans... Digicel cannot compete with just Band 17. Digicel's Engineering is probably working hard on making the network more zippy. They've gone Band 4 across the KMA (for the most part) but could perhaps get a boost from 2600 MHz (Band 7). FLOW may perhaps be working on getting those licences too given their recent comments. Alas....

If you are using Samsung or other major Android brands, they Carrier aggregation will display in the status bar as LTE+ or 4G+. In service mode for Samsung *#0011# if you see CA added, then you will know you have LTE+. I'm not sure how the procedure works for Apple IPhones.

iPhones don't have an indication for Carrier Aggregation... we just KNOW it's active. When you're running a speedtest and it stabilizes for a fraction of a second and then picks up again and starts hitting the meter... that's carrier aggregation for us!

Also, Band 2 would only give them 15x15 and they'd waste 3 MHz of spectrum; not good at all. I also have a feeling FLOW bought the adjacent block of spectrum (1930-1945 MHz down and 1850-1865 MHz up)

CA beside LTE?.......

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    CA beside LTE?.......
    No, it would be at the bottom in Samsung Service Mode. So for example, using Digicel bands at the top. You would see LTE basic info, which underneath would display band 17 and the channel bandwidth of 10mhz.

A little further down, if Carrier aggregation is added. You will see CA Added and under that you will see the aggregated band and its channel bandwidth. Which would be band 4 10mhz for Digicel.