Thread: LTE Band Switching

Default LTE Band Switching

Hey all. I just got a S9 that I use on Digicel and it keeps switching itself from the stronger LTE band 17 to the weaker Band 4. I have to repeatedly cycle airplane mode on and off for it to go back on Band 17. Why could this be happening? Doesn't the weaker signal also consume more battery?

Quote Originally Posted by KB_1 View Post
    Hey all. I just got a S9 that I use on Digicel and it keeps switching itself from the stronger LTE band 17 to the weaker Band 4. I have to repeatedly cycle airplane mode on and off for it to go back on Band 17. Why could this be happening? Doesn't the weaker signal also consume more battery?
    My sister has the same issue, it seems that Digicel is either going to use band 4 as The Primary carrier component. Or 2CCA is what Thier working on. Digicel promised major speed upgrades for Kingston and St Andrew. So the second carrier band 4 is to assist with the congestion on the Network. The weak band 4 signal will indeed affect battery life, as well as overall network experience. The temporary solution is to force the device to only stay on band 17 LTE. Or switch the device to 3G only. Until Digicel finishes it's network upgrades or optimization in Kingston.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    My sister has the same issue, it seems that Digicel is either going to use band 4 as The Primary carrier component. Or 2CCA is what Thier working on. Digicel promised major speed upgrades for Kingston and St Andrew. So the second carrier band 4 is to assist with the congestion on the Network. The weak band 4 signal will indeed affect battery life, as well as overall network experience. The temporary solution is to force the device to only stay on band 17 LTE. Or switch the device to 3G only. Until Digicel finishes it's network upgrades or optimization in Kingston.
    Okay. I had just upgraded to Android Pie on the weekend and doing another restart has made the phone start working better (it now switches back and forth between both bands). I guess it depends which one is stronger. BTW what's 2CCA? I'm new to these terms.

Quote Originally Posted by KB_1 View Post
    Okay. I had just upgraded to Android Pie on the weekend and doing another restart has made the phone start working better (it now switches back and forth between both bands). I guess it depends which one is stronger. BTW what's 2CCA? I'm new to these terms.
    The Network isn't finish optimization, once that's done. The problem should stop. 2CCA means two channel carrier aggregation. It means that Digicel will combine both band 17 and band 4 to achieve faster speeds and capacity. This is what is know as LTE Advanced.