Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Digicel Jamaica hinting at Unlimited Data?

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    TBH. I didn't read the entire thread. I may go back and do it to see the root of the argument. Maybe. But here's my 0.000000000001 cent.

Large companies these days are corrupt at the core. Their founders never intended for things to be that way, but it's an almost absolute that power corrupts. The fact that it's the way things are is no excuse to steal. The reason laws are put in place and constantly modified is because of stupid people and thieves. Some of the caution signs on devices are put there because of stupid people. And the reason cameras are everywhere now is because of thieves/scammers.
    The thing we need to remember is nothing comes free. If we woke up tomorrow and we found that we were the CEO of Flow or Digicel and called a meeting with the finance department you would quickly realize how expensive it is to run a business and keep it afloat. Between operation bills, salaries, insurance, debt payments and network investment you have to turn a profit for shareholders. We live in a capitalistic free market western society were businesses are free to some extent to set any price for goods or services given they aren't a monopoly. Unless we can prove there is some kind of collusion between those two communications companies then the corruption arguement is mute.

If they feel like data services in Jamaica cost too much the right thing to do is voice your concerns with the Office of Utility regulations who is pushing for billing transparency in our telecommunications industry here. Not resort to stealing. From the people who steal electricity, communication lines and equiptment and yes data services, the losses are recouped by padding paying customer bills. We need honesty from our people and transparancy from our crtitical infrastruture businesses.

I would argue that maybe we should be getting more for our money compared to other regions but our mobile data services are not as expensive as developed countries like Canada where the prices are beyond ridicolous.

My personal 2 cents though is that if they spend the time to consume 10K worth of mobile data on your phones and complaning about it maybe they should spend more time being productive instead. Becuase if they were generating revenue from such activity they should be able to afford it.
    Last edited by leoandru; Dec 19, 2018 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru View Post
    The thing we need to remember is nothing comes free. If we woke up tomorrow and we found that we were the CEO of Flow or Digicel and called a meeting with the finance department you would quickly realize how expensive it is to run a business and keep it afloat. Between operation bills, salaries, insurance, debt payments and network investment you have to turn a profit for shareholders. We live in a capitalistic free market western society were businesses are free to some extent to set any price for goods or services given they aren't a monopoly. Unless we can prove there is some kind of collusion between those two communications companies then the corruption arguement is mute.

If they feel like data services in Jamaica cost too much the right thing to do is voice your concerns with the Office of Utility regulations who is pushing for billing transparency in our telecommunications industry here. Not resort to stealing. From the people who steal electricity, communication lines and equiptment and yes data services, the losses are recouped by padding paying customer bills. We need honesty from our people and transparancy from our crtitical infrastruture businesses.

I would argue that maybe we should be getting more for our money compared to other regions but our mobile data services are not as expensive as developed countries like Canada where the prices are beyond ridicolous.

My personal 2 cents though is that if they spend the time to consume 10K worth of mobile data on your phones and complaning about it maybe they should spend more time being productive instead. Becuase if they were generating revenue from such activity they should be able to afford it.
    You echoed my sentiments to the point.

anyone knows whats the fair usage policy quota? - I'm hearing about 48GB by a user - and the site doesn't mention

https://www.digicelgroup.com/jm/en/l...nditions-.html
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Quote Originally Posted by nevintech View Post
    anyone knows whats the fair usage policy quota? - I'm hearing about 48GB by a user - and the site doesn't mention

https://www.digicelgroup.com/jm/en/l...nditions-.html
    Might have to get a court to compel them to state the amount as no one seems to know.

While your at it if u could also inform if u know the fair usage quota for digi to digi calls on the plan

Pulse check on the new Digicel plans. How are they? Are they worth the price?

How about Digicel+ (Formerly Digicel Play)?

Well they are $500 cheaper than flow for the 100mb offering which is think is the sweet spot for the average user. I don't think many people would complain about the price given the speed just wished the service was offered where i live. Paying over 6k for Flow 30mb ADSL service.
    MSI B350 Tomhawk | Ryzen 7 5700x | Cooler master hyper 212 evo heatsink | MSI gtx 1070 | Corsair 32gb DDR4 (3200Mhz) | Samsung 970 evo 1tb | Seagate 1tb + 500 gb | Dell 27 INCH-S2719DGF 2560x1440 144hz Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.dre View Post
    Well they are $500 cheaper than flow for the 100mb offering which is think is the sweet spot for the average user. I don't think many people would complain about the price given the speed just wished the service was offered where i live. Paying over 6k for Flow 30mb ADSL service.
    I'm hearing that the ADSL/VSDL areas are set to be upgraded to FTTH soon. They're already using Fibre to the Curb; a move to FTTH shouldn't be too long.

What I need is better upload. I had 3x 30GB files to upload for my office. I tried to place them on cloud storage and it was not working. Had to send the files to my server overseas at 12-13 hours each and then upload from the server to the cloud service. Which then took about 20 minutes each...
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    What I need is better upload. I had 3x 30GB files to upload for my office. I tried to place them on cloud storage and it was not working. Had to send the files to my server overseas at 12-13 hours each and then upload from the server to the cloud service. Which then took about 20 minutes each...
    Digicel+ has 50 Mbps upload as default for all their packages. Will that do?
    Bundles: https://www.digicelgroup.com/jm/en/h...t/bundles.html
    Internet Only: https://www.digicelgroup.com/jm/en/h.../internet.html
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Digicel+ has 50 Mbps upload as default for all their packages. Will that do?
    Bundles: https://www.digicelgroup.com/jm/en/h...t/bundles.html
    Internet Only: https://www.digicelgroup.com/jm/en/h.../internet.html
    It would do if they were available in my area. I mean - 50Mb is just *SLIGHTLY* better than 5Mb, but it would do. I've been waiting for YEARS. I've signed up on their site. I then notice a lot of Digicel vehicles around recently and one tech I stopped said to me that service is at the house he just left (caught him after working on something). It was 10 minutes from my own residence - so I called the office. "We're sorry but no service is available in your area at this time." So.....Someone doesn't know what they're talking about. And I know that they're rolling out more things because I've setup fiber for business clients who didn't have the option previously. So. Another 5-10 years maybe? By then one of the satellite internet options may be viable.
    Last edited by khat17; Nov 22, 2020 at 12:19 PM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".