Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Network is the best Flow or Digicel

HD Voice is supported by most chip makers actually. Even moreso, carriers deploy IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) elements such as the Application layer, Media Gateway and so on being mindful that they need to be compatible with existing handsets. Devices like FLOW’s ZTE Blade A320 are VoLTE capable (as well as HD Voice over 3G) as well the rest of their handset portfolio. Devices like international versions or even US versions of Samsung’s Galaxy S8 or S9 should also be capable since all carriers have more or less standardized their method of deploying VoLTE. FLOW (in my estimation) had recently deployed an IMS core that is now handling all voice traffic in Jamaica; in collaboration with Ericsson. I don’t anticipate there being any issues with compatiblity come time for them to release VoLTE simply because Ericsson’s solution is standardized and, hence, vendor and carrier agnostic. HD Voice happens through no effort of your own (unless you go in to disable it). But I think we’re a little ways off from getting VoLTE right now. We’re getting close but some more fine tuning of the IMS core and further deployments over Radio Access Network need to be made to get VoLTE right. HD Voice over 3G however is a very near prospect.

Side Note: I think Digicel also has deployed an IMS core solution but I might be wrong. I’m lead to think they have because of HD Voice over their 3G network but they’ve yet to have deployed VoLTE in ANY market.... period.
    Last edited by Brandysull; May 26, 2018 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    HD Voice is supported by most chip makers actually. Even moreso, carriers deploy IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) elements such as the Application layer, Media Gateway and so on being mindful that they need to be compatible with existing handsets. Devices like FLOW’s ZTE Blade A320 are VoLTE capable (as well as HD Voice over 3G) as well the rest of their handset portfolio. Devices like international versions or even US versions of Samsung’s Galaxy S8 or S9 should also be capable since all carriers have more or less standardized their method of deploying VoLTE. FLOW (in my estimation) had recently deployed an IMS core that is now handling all voice traffic in Jamaica; in collaboration with Ericsson. I don’t anticipate there being any issues with compatiblity come time for them to release VoLTE simply because Ericsson’s solution is standardized and, hence, vendor and carrier agnostic. HD Voice happens through no effort of your own (unless you go in to disable it). But I think we’re a little ways off from getting VoLTE right now. We’re getting close but some more fine tuning of the IMS core and further deployments over Radio Access Network need to be made to get VoLTE right. HD Voice over 3G however is a very near prospect.

Side Note: I think Digicel also has deployed an IMS core solution but I might be wrong. I’m lead to think they have because of HD Voice over their 3G network but they’ve yet to have deployed VoLTE in ANY market.... period.
    OK, I was researching some information and found that unlocked international Exynos Soc devices don't have VoLTE enable. It requires Samsung to release a software update to enable it. However, does HD voice over 3G work on most phones?. I mean to say, can a unlock international Exynos device be compatible with HD voice over 3G. Even though it is not VoLTE supported?.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan2277 View Post
    OK, I was researching some information and found that unlocked international Exynos Soc devices don't have VoLTE enable. It requires Samsung to release a software update to enable it. However, does HD voice over 3G work on most phones?. I mean to say, can a unlock international Exynos device be compatible with HD voice over 3G. Even though it is not VoLTE supported?.
    Absolutely, in fact, Digicel is a testament to that. All devices capable of HD Voice over 3G have the ability to make high quality HD calls over their 3G network. I'd like to think that FLOW would push an update to international versions of the S9 to enable VoLTE but I'm unsure as to whether they have such granular control over devices not purchased on their network.

No long technical detailed explanation is needed. Just get Digicel... >_<

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    No long technical detailed explanation is needed. Just get Digicel... >_<
    Haha... Again, Digicel for high fidelity voice, FLOW for blazing fast data
    Last edited by Brandysull; May 27, 2018 at 01:17 AM.

If they would actually develop on the available platforms then VoLTE would be good, calls on 3G could be possible, and wireless calling could be possible. But. "This is Jamaica".
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    If they would actually develop on the available platforms then VoLTE would be good, calls on 3G could be possible, and wireless calling could be possible. But. "This is Jamaica".
    And for this, I continue to give my provider stern words and try my hardest to have it heard by the highest rung.

I think most of the information you need is covered, but let me throw my pennies in.

FLOW
    Criminal if you're postpaid (no static bill within plan). Great if you're prepaid (cheapest calling rates). Data currently BLAZINGLY faster than Digicel. Better access to humans through customer service. Mobile software platform is "immature" in comparison to Digicel. Dropped calls when driving greatly reduced versus years ago. Voice/Data bundles a bit more expensive than Digicel.

DIGICEL
    Great whether prepaid or postpaid (bills static within plan). Dropped calls when driving increased versus original deployment years ago. Voice/Data bundles with rollover seem to be the best available (JMD$2,000 credit for 2,000 minutes on-net and 4GB data). TBH - you're getting 4G to their radios but 2G/3G connection at times. Or no connection.

DATA
    If data is what you need go with FLOW. Don't even consider Digicel.

VOICE
    If you do more talking then go with Digicel. Provided your friends/family have Digicel too.

OVERALL
    It comes down to preference or need. Personally I currently use Digicel primarily. Once my new (dual SIM) phone arrives it will be Digicel for voice, FLOW for data. Occasional calls with the FLOW if the person doesn't have a Digicel - but most persons either have both or have a Digicel. It's rare that someone only has FLOW.

FUTURE?
    As stated, when both networks finish their upgrades and roll-outs for 2018-2019 the ground may be a bit more level in the mobile department. I hate them both for various reasons - but they each have services that I need. I'm yet to find a plan that does all I need within a reasonable price range. Maybe as competition heats up it will give birth to something. And Caricel don't look like they're going on with anything at the moment.

Hopefully this helps somewhat.

DATA
    If data is what you need go with FLOW. Don't even consider Digicel.
    Why not Digicel, any particular reason?. Do you see them improving their performance. To a point where you would consider using their data services?.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Why not Digicel, any particular reason?. Do you see them improving their performance. To a point where you would consider using their data services?.
    FLOW mobile data is far superior currently. I see that maybe in future Digicel may improve, but this is why I use both networks for different things. If you don't drive around much then either one is fine. But speed tests will show that Digicel is slower. For now.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

FLOW mobile data is far superior currently. I see that maybe in future Digicel may improve, but this is why I use both networks for different things. If you don't drive around much then either one is fine. But speed tests will show that Digicel is slower. For now.
    Yes that is true, but to be fair to Digicel. They are currently in expansion and upgrading works. So I guess that is the reason for the very slow data speeds. I too have slow data speeds from Digicel, and I am in Kingston. Which is supposed to be fully covered with LTE. We don't have it where I am, but it should be here soon I guess. My phone picks up a band 4 and band 17 both of the 10Mhz variety. So Digicel is trying to respond in due course. My issue with Flow is the persistent issue they have with credit being taken off customers accounts and not so accommodating data plans.