Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Network is the best Flow or Digicel

Default Which Network is the best Flow or Digicel

Hey Guys new member here, I am back in Jamaica and I would like your help as to which Network is more reliable, has widespread coverage and offers the best services. Having asses the two, I am leading more towards Flow. As they seem to have the better offerings on their Network, meaning that they use the specific bands my phone uses (Samsung Galaxy S9+) base on willmyphonework.net don't know if this site has the correct information. But I notice my phone works better on Flow, signal is stable and 3G speeds decent.

I'm not sure if LIME/Flow offers LTE, on the mentioned website it list Digicel as having LTE on Band 17 700Mhz. I really want LTE, so my family and friends say that I should use Digicel. As they offer the best value in terms of data and coverage. The problem is Digicels data is very slow and I need data when I get the chance to be on the roads. Also my battery seems to die way faster when using Digicel, I attribute this to the constant search for Signal and My device going down to Edge frequently.

I stumbled upon this site via a search for reviews for both carriers in Jamaica. So I hope I can get more in depth information reguarding the two. What do you guys Think, and which Network offers the best service and coverage to you all personally, Thanks.

You came at a good time. Below this post you’ve made, under Mobile Phones, are thorough discussions and info of each providers LTE efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan2277 View Post
    Hey Guys new member here, I am back in Jamaica and I would like your help as to which Network is more reliable, has widespread coverage and offers the best services. Having asses the two, I am leading more towards Flow. As they seem to have the better offerings on their Network, meaning that they use the specific bands my phone uses (Samsung Galaxy S9+) base on willmyphonework.net don't know if this site has the correct information. But I notice my phone works better on Flow, signal is stable and 3G speeds decent.

I'm not sure if LIME/Flow offers LTE, on the mentioned website it list Digicel as having LTE on Band 17 700Mhz. I really want LTE, so my family and friends say that I should use Digicel. As they offer the best value in terms of data and coverage. The problem is Digicels data is very slow and I need data when I get the chance to be on the roads. Also my battery seems to die way faster when using Digicel, I attribute this to the constant search for Signal and My device going down to Edge frequently.

I stumbled upon this site via a search for reviews for both carriers in Jamaica. So I hope I can get more in depth information reguarding the two. What do you guys Think, and which Network offers the best service and coverage to you all personally, Thanks.
    Ditto to what mista736 said, there are a good portion of LTE threads on this site where i personally have contributed. You'll find a plethora of in-depth information there. Everything from coverage to speed and prices.
    Last edited by Brandysull; May 17, 2018 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mista736 View Post
    You came at a good time. Below this post you’ve made, under Mobile Phones, are thorough discussions and info of each providers LTE efforts.
    OK Great, didn't notice at first, reading through them. If you don't mind, which carrier offers better service to you?. While Digicels LTE isnt widespread as yet. I find there data offerings to be of more value. The fact that I can get 1GB of data for JA$20 from 11pm to 6am is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Ditto to what mista736 said, there are a good portion of LTE threads on this site where i personally have contributed. You'll find a plethora of in-depth information there. Everything from coverage to speed and prices.
    Thanks, if you don't mind me asking. Which Network provides the best service to you?.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan2277 View Post
    Thanks, if you don't mind me asking. Which Network provides the best service to you?.
    It depends. In my opinion, if you want the best mix of price and speed, FLOW is the way to go. Currently, I get about 8.5 GB (accured from rollover) of data and I spend $3000, also benefiting from practically unlimited on-net minutes and texts. This is recommended if you're a power user. I go through 8 GB in about a week or so, it also helps that the FLOW's LTE network is zippy too so I usually finish my allotment ahead of the 2 week expiration. FLOW's also my choice for roaming, 47 countries W/W accessible for $1750 JMD, it can't be beat.

If you want great call quality over 3G and (soon to be) good access to LTE, Digicel would be the way to go. Also, Digicel's online platforms are far more mature than FLOW's. Digicel as of recent has been ramping up its LTE deployment but it is still a little behind FLOW's (who is in all of MoBay and a presence in Falmouth, Ocho Rios, St. Ann's Bay, Runaway Bay, all of Spanish Town, Portmore, Kingston, Mandeville plus a recent presence in May Pen and Negril with more deployments coming). Digicel's spectrum endowment makes for them being able to offer truly nationwide coverage, FLOW will too but Digicel with more geographical reach and FLOW with more capacity.
    Last edited by Brandysull; May 18, 2018 at 05:44 AM.

I think most of the information you need is covered, but let me throw my pennies in.

FLOW
    Criminal if you're postpaid (no static bill within plan). Great if you're prepaid (cheapest calling rates). Data currently BLAZINGLY faster than Digicel. Better access to humans through customer service. Mobile software platform is "immature" in comparison to Digicel. Dropped calls when driving greatly reduced versus years ago. Voice/Data bundles a bit more expensive than Digicel.

DIGICEL
    Great whether prepaid or postpaid (bills static within plan). Dropped calls when driving increased versus original deployment years ago. Voice/Data bundles with rollover seem to be the best available (JMD$2,000 credit for 2,000 minutes on-net and 4GB data). TBH - you're getting 4G to their radios but 2G/3G connection at times. Or no connection.

DATA
    If data is what you need go with FLOW. Don't even consider Digicel.

VOICE
    If you do more talking then go with Digicel. Provided your friends/family have Digicel too.

OVERALL
    It comes down to preference or need. Personally I currently use Digicel primarily. Once my new (dual SIM) phone arrives it will be Digicel for voice, FLOW for data. Occasional calls with the FLOW if the person doesn't have a Digicel - but most persons either have both or have a Digicel. It's rare that someone only has FLOW.

FUTURE?
    As stated, when both networks finish their upgrades and roll-outs for 2018-2019 the ground may be a bit more level in the mobile department. I hate them both for various reasons - but they each have services that I need. I'm yet to find a plan that does all I need within a reasonable price range. Maybe as competition heats up it will give birth to something. And Caricel don't look like they're going on with anything at the moment.

Hopefully this helps somewhat.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    I think most of the information you need is covered, but let me throw my pennies in.

FLOW
    Criminal if you're postpaid (no static bill within plan). Great if you're prepaid (cheapest calling rates). Data currently BLAZINGLY faster than Digicel. Better access to humans through customer service. Mobile software platform is "immature" in comparison to Digicel. Dropped calls when driving greatly reduced versus years ago. Voice/Data bundles a bit more expensive than Digicel.

DIGICEL
    Great whether prepaid or postpaid (bills static within plan). Dropped calls when driving increased versus original deployment years ago. Voice/Data bundles with rollover seem to be the best available (JMD$2,000 credit for 2,000 minutes on-net and 4GB data). TBH - you're getting 4G to their radios but 2G/3G connection at times. Or no connection.

DATA

VOICE
    If you do more talking then go with Digicel. Provided your friends/family have Digicel too.

OVERALL
    It comes down to preference or need. Personally I currently use Digicel primarily. Once my new (dual SIM) phone arrives it will be Digicel for voice, FLOW for data. Occasional calls with the FLOW if the person doesn't have a Digicel - but most persons either have both or have a Digicel. It's rare that someone only has FLOW.

FUTURE?
    As stated, when both networks finish their upgrades and roll-outs for 2018-2019 the ground may be a bit more level in the mobile department. I hate them both for various reasons - but they each have services that I need. I'm yet to find a plan that does all I need within a reasonable price range. Maybe as competition heats up it will give birth to something. And Caricel don't look like they're going on with anything at the moment.

This is a great summary... I totally agree with your prediction... Both operators may see similar offerings but at the very least, FLOW needs to accelerate their development of their online services. Digicel is quite mature in that regard but I do see where FLOW is integrating across all its product segments & markets more readily than Digicel... making it easier for the frontend services like MyFLOW or FLOW ID to fetch customer data. I hope in future both operators look to Multi-SIM for IoT (Tablets, Smartwatches, Smart Cars etc.) and much richer VAS to enrich the lives of their customers.

P.S. On the Voice call front, recently, I've noticed where FLOW 3G has become practically ubiquitous i.e. calls across the entire network now remain on 3G. Moreover, select handsets are also seeing higher call quality over the network than usual, perhaps signalling C&W moving to AMR-WB on that end? They also have a number of power saving techniques deployed over the network that make for users spending less time soaking up full power and can simply stay in a deep state of rest. I am also seeing signs of 2G perhaps seeing its last days. I have not seen 2G since January of this year. In fact, my usual pain point in Montego Bay has been sorted. The network there has started to hold its own... C&W's come a long way since its trash 3G network in 2015 at the dawn of the new FLOW brand; hands down my top pick for data.

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post

FLOW

DIGICEL

DATA

VOICE

OVERALL

FUTURE?

This is very much helpful indeed. Thank you so very much, I have found that personally. Flow delivers the best performance for me in terms of both data and voice calls. I chose to go with Flow as my main mobile provider. As my phone works excellent on the Network, and battery seems to last forever. I can get two days from a single charge with moderate use. Digicel on the other hand kills my battery fast.

Flows LTE Network is no doubt the fastest in the country, and from what I'm hearing and reading on forums on this site. Flow will be adding band 2 LTE (1900Mhz) to the their current spectrum holdings to provide even faster data speeds, exciting times to come. I really hope they can offer reasonable unlimited data plans in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    This is a great summary... I totally agree with your prediction... Both operators may see similar offerings but at the very least, FLOW needs to accelerate their development of their online services. Digicel is quite mature in that regard but I do see where FLOW is integrating across all its product segments & markets more readily than Digicel... making it easier for the frontend services like MyFLOW or FLOW ID to fetch customer data. I hope in future both operators look to Multi-SIM for IoT (Tablets, Smartwatches, Smart Cars etc.) and much richer VAS to enrich the lives of their customers.

P.S. On the Voice call front, recently, I've noticed where FLOW 3G has become practically ubiquitous i.e. calls across the entire network now remain on 3G. Moreover, select handsets are also seeing higher call quality over the network than usual, perhaps signalling C&W moving to AMR-WB on that end? They also have a number of power saving techniques deployed over the network that make for users spending less time soaking up full power and can simply stay in a deep state of rest. I am also seeing signs of 2G perhaps seeing its last days. I have not seen 2G since January of this year. In fact, my usual pain point in Montego Bay has been sorted. The network there has started to hold its own... C&W's come a long way since its trash 3G network in 2015 at the dawn of the new FLOW brand; hands down my top pick for data.
    For HD Voice though, how does one set up the device to work with the Network. I notice that the international unlock Samsung Galaxy devices don't support VoLTE. I have a US unlock S9+ and it doesn't show in settings how to enable or disable VoLTE. The Carrier branded phones, such as those of T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T have the options in the settings of the devices to turn VoLTE on or off. But for the Exynos SoC devices, HD voice is not available or activated out of box. I'm guessing on Snapdragon SoC devices have VoLTE and HD voice activated out of box??.