Thread: The Internet of Things (IOT)

Default The Internet of Things (IOT)

I'm not sure if a lot of persons know about this but it has been floating around the internet for some time now. If you are Microsoft and/or CompTIA Certified then you would see this somewhere in your study material. What exactly is IOT? Well, he Internet of Things (IoT) is a system of interrelated computing devices, mechanical and digital machines, objects, animals or people that are provided with unique identifiers and the ability to transfer data over a network without requiring human-to-human or human-to-computer interaction.

A thing, in the Internet of Things, can be a person with a heart monitor implant, a farm animal with a biochip transponder, an automobile that has built-in sensors to alert the driver when tire pressure is low or any other natural or man-made object that can be assigned an IP address and provided with the ability to transfer data over a network. Sounds like the birth of SkyNet right? That's the irst thing that came to mind.

Microsoft Virtual Academy does provide courses on IOT, these courses are free. The materials and tools are provided such as Azure and Visual Studio. This will give you a hands on practice. I did the course, it's relatively easy and can be completed in a day or two depending on the time you invest.

Microsoft Virtual Academy
    https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/trai...RIC_6305846048
    Instructor(s): Pete Brown, Tony Goodhew, Mat Velleso

What are your thoughts on this? Great step for mankind or not?

The Mirai botnet is a pretty good measuring stick as to whether IOT is a great step for mankind. Too much, too fast.

Another point, all the lights in my house a smart led-bulbs, have them for less than 1 year. All of a sudden, the company that made them, TCP Lighting, decided that connect/smart light bulbs is something the company will no longer pursue. So now, I can't connect to my bulbs via the internet, I only have local access to them.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SkullBumble View Post
    Some things do not quite add up logically. but I can write a longer rant about it if yall interested

Sure thing, go for it. I would love to hear.

You are certainly right about it going too fast. Eventually, we (mankind) will no longer be in certain day-to-day operations.

Will work on the article later in the mean time you might find this funny; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    Will work on the article later in the mean time you might find this funny; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc
    I'll check out that article when you publish it. I saw this 2 days ago. That's like a hacker's bait lol. We already have so many security holes. Instead of using the resources close these holes as soon as possible.