Page 81 of 83 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    I would like to know the FUPA on the new 30day unlimited plan. I would hope that Flow would not restrict user's too severely. Unless they are abusing Network resources. I would propose that the fair usage cap is placed at 200GB, when a user exceeds that. They are knock down to 3G for the duration of the plan.
    Also Flow could allow user's to have unlimited access to the network once the user isn't abusing the service via large downloads and gaming. And once the tower site the user is connected to isn't congested. I think it's a good plan, and one that will win over many customers. Digicel LTE Network cannot manage currently. They are still struggling in many locations across the Corporate area and around the country. As the optimize and increase speeds and capacity on all their sites, then maybe we will see a response from them.
    As for band 41, thought that belong to Digicel. Also Flow has many other LTE bands. Why would they need to buy more, is it that they are doing it to continually stay ahead of Digicel. Or they are preparing for a soft LTE pro or imitation 5G?. With all that capacity, I see no reason to go hardcore on Fair usage policy.
    What can you tell us about Digicel LTE expansion, they are really secretive about those information. So I guess you are Just as clueless as the rest of us. All in all, things see to be going great on the Mobile side. Fixed broadband services needs massive major upgrades and expansion. Flow needs to retire HFC within major urban areas across the country with fibre Optic service.
    I'm more inclined to think that "fair usage" distinction lies between 50 - 100GB. 200 GB would means one would be using near 7 GB per day. I don't know of any activities that you could do normally on a phone that would have you hitting 7 GB per day, everyday, for a month. FLOW's Home LTE service gives about 100 GB per month. For that reason, I think the network would want to keep service quality high.

[They also announced another mobile network upgrade through to Monday AM, btw.]

As to Digicel, they've got some serious catching up to do. FLOW'd hit their population target (95%) for LTE coverage well before anyone else had anticipated. Now, they're working on the network core again; 2020 is likely to be another solid year if these upgrades deliver. All you really need is a solid, simplified radio network and some serious backhaul.

Also, to your point on HFC -- it is going to continue to serve us here for at least the next 3 years. HFC is still cranking out award-winning speeds around the world. The malaise our networks suffer from is underinvestment. DOCSIS 3.1 & 4.0 can push up to symmetric Gigabit speeds. VTR Chile & UPC Switzerland, sister companies of FLOW, use the same TG2492LG modems as do we and receive speeds up to a gigabit through HFC. Do watch out for the TG3492LG-FLO; it has already been certified for use in Jamaica by the SMA and wide-scale deployment would mean FLOW's either going 32x8 channel bonding on DOCSIS 3.0 or going to DOCSIS 3.1. Islandwide fibre is the outlook (according to FLOW) for the next three years.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Feb 29, 2020 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Islandwide fibre is the outlook (according to FLOW) for the next three years.
    I'll believe this when I see it.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

I'm more inclined to think that "fair usage" distinction lies between 50 - 100GB. 200 GB would means one would be using near 7 GB per day. I don't know of any activities that you could do normally on a phone that would have you hitting 7 GB per day, everyday, for a month. FLOW's Home LTE service gives about 100 GB per month. For that reason, I think the network would want to keep service quality high.

[They also announced another mobile network upgrade through to Monday AM, btw.]

As to Digicel, they've got some serious catching up to do. FLOW'd hit their population target (95%) for LTE coverage well before anyone else had anticipated. Now, they're working on the network core again; 2020 is likely to be another solid year if these upgrades deliver. All you really need is a solid, simplified radio network and some serious backhaul.

Also, to your point on HFC -- it is going to continue to serve us here for at least the next 3 years. HFC is still cranking out award-winning speeds around the world. The malaise our networks suffer from is underinvestment. DOCSIS 3.1 & 4.0 can push up to symmetric Gigabit speeds. VTR Chile & UPC Switzerland, sister companies of FLOW, use the same TG2492LG modems as do we and receive speeds up to a gigabit through HFC. Do watch out for the TG3492LG-FLO; it has already been certified for use in Jamaica by the SMA and wide-scale deployment would mean FLOW's either going 32x8 channel bonding on DOCSIS 3.0 or going to DOCSIS 3.1. Islandwide fibre is the outlook (according to FLOW) for the next three years.
    Interesting, I wonder what those Mobile upgrades in the AM from tonight to Monday morning March 2 entails?. I've heard of users in the US hitting over 200GB on their unlimited plans on Mobile. They usually do streaming and live stream online games, so that explains it. It's very rare though, so I guess that's why it's not necessary to put the fair usage cap at that size. Do you think CWC should have went with the name Dekal Wireless instead of Flow for the new name to replace LIME?. I think it sounds much better than Flow. But anyway, looking forward to great things from Flow.
    I should ask you though, when it comes to iPhone. Has Digicel been certified by Apple as a official seller and support of Apple products and services?. Also for someone like me, who keeps phones for four to five years before upgrades. You think iPhone would be a better investment since they get four years of major software OS support, and the hold their value for much longer. That's very important to me, or just stick with Android. That gets cut off from major OS support after just two years?. I'm starting to love iPhone and iOS, but I hold off. Because I kind of feel like I'm paying more for less features and variety on iOS than Android. You're opinion and views on this matter is most welcomed.

An iPhone is always a better investment in terms of longevity. The only officially authorised support centre for Apple in Jamaica is ATL.

In general Android phones will always have the latest/greatest features as they are updated more often in terms of hardware by the various manufacturers. However as you correctly stated, support is a maximum of 2 yrs and abandoned after so you have to hope the quality holds up from a hardware standpoint.

It all depends on what is a priority for you. I would say save up and get that high end iPhone and hold on it for the 4 yrs. For the record, I am an Android person and never owned any iOS devices so I can be objective. Because iPhones are so locked down and are basically fully manufacture and owned by Apple and on loan to the user it makes support easier.

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    I'll believe this when I see it.
    LOL! Likewise! The Country Manager for Jamaica committed to it on a Facebook Live, as a strategic plan they've set in place for the next 5 years. Frankly, it's not a pie-in-the-sky endeavour. HFC to FTTH conversions aren't as intensive as greenfield builds like Digicel Play. Nonetheless, I think HFC has plenty life in it but let's see!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Interesting, I wonder what those Mobile upgrades in the AM from tonight to Monday morning March 2 entails?. I've heard of users in the US hitting over 200GB on their unlimited plans on Mobile. They usually do streaming and live stream online games, so that explains it. It's very rare though, so I guess that's why it's not necessary to put the fair usage cap at that size. Do you think CWC should have went with the name Dekal Wireless instead of Flow for the new name to replace LIME?. I think it sounds much better than Flow. But anyway, looking forward to great things from Flow.
    I should ask you though, when it comes to iPhone. Has Digicel been certified by Apple as a official seller and support of Apple products and services?. Also for someone like me, who keeps phones for four to five years before upgrades. You think iPhone would be a better investment since they get four years of major software OS support, and the hold their value for much longer. That's very important to me, or just stick with Android. That gets cut off from major OS support after just two years?. I'm starting to love iPhone and iOS, but I hold off. Because I kind of feel like I'm paying more for less features and variety on iOS than Android. You're opinion and views on this matter is most welcomed.
    I haven't the slightest clue what the upgrades entail but, my suspicion is that it that it may be Ericsson's 5G NR Release 16 or 17 as well additional work on the converged network core (which I continue to see mention of in LLA literature). Additional work seems to be happening in Mobility Management & Billing. All-in-all, I'm enthused about these constant network investments... such was a rare every 2 or so years a couple years ago. It's also caught the competition with their pants down.

On your point about iPhone, Yes, Digicel is certified for iPhone in Jamaica. They might not carry current iPhones (to my knowledge) but Apple lists them as compatible with LTE on iPhone 11 if you get from elsewhere. Going with a current iPhone will see you through the next 5 years, easily. My current iPhone was released in 2017 and has LOTS of life left in it. It runs like brand new (and is still sold by Apple on their offical website).

You won't regret it!

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    An iPhone is always a better investment in terms of longevity. The only officially authorised support centre for Apple in Jamaica is ATL.

In general Android phones will always have the latest/greatest features as they are updated more often in terms of hardware by the various manufacturers. However as you correctly stated, support is a maximum of 2 yrs and abandoned after so you have to hope the quality holds up from a hardware standpoint.

It all depends on what is a priority for you. I would say save up and get that high end iPhone and hold on it for the 4 yrs. For the record, I am an Android person and never owned any iOS devices so I can be objective. Because iPhones are so locked down and are basically fully manufacture and owned by Apple and on loan to the user it makes support easier.
    Yep! ATL just did an office refurb with a bunch of Macs and hardwoods floors and official Apple Service Centre designations, in case you thought they weren't legit.

They do have a penchant for fat quotes in hundreds of USD; quoted me a battery replacement for my MacBook Pro at $750 USD -- a job Apple quotes as $200 and other Apple Certified technicians charge for just under $200. But don't let that scare you!

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post

Thank you so much for your feedback and recommendation. I really appreciate it, I currently am using a S7 edge and I'm saving up to buy a iPhone next year. All being well, I will go for the higher end IPhone. As they have the better features and cameras.

LOL! Likewise! The Country Manager for Jamaica committed to it on a Facebook Live, as a strategic plan they've set in place for the next 5 years. Frankly, it's not a pie-in-the-sky endeavour. HFC to FTTH conversions aren't as intensive as greenfield builds like Digicel Play. Nonetheless, I think HFC has plenty life in it but let's see!

I haven't the slightest clue what the upgrades entail but, my suspicion is that it that it may be Ericsson's 5G NR Release 16 or 17 as well additional work on the converged network core (which I continue to see mention of in LLA literature). Additional work seems to be happening in Mobility Management & Billing. All-in-all, I'm enthused about these constant network investments... such was a rare every 2 or so years a couple years ago. It's also caught the competition with their pants down.

On your point about iPhone, Yes, Digicel is certified for iPhone in Jamaica. They might not carry current iPhones (to my knowledge) but Apple lists them as compatible with LTE on iPhone 11 if you get from elsewhere. Going with a current iPhone will see you through the next 5 years, easily. My current iPhone was released in 2017 and has LOTS of life left in it. It runs like brand new (and is still sold by Apple on their offical website).

You won't regret it!
    Thank you, I appreciate it. I'm definitely going to try iPhone and hope I will love it as it looks.

What is y'alls take on FLOW new Unlimited Data Plans.

They went live with Prepaid & Postpaid Unlimited Data plans today, for $4900 + GCT

Do you think Digicel will respond with a counter offer soon?

Also, quick update: I'm seeing users reporting TDD LTE on Band 41 from FLOW -- likely being tested -- at MBJ Airport in Montego Bay. From the looks of things, they will likely buy the adjoining block of spectrum in Band 41/Band 7 (FDD) and deploy 10 MHz of Band 7 to start, and scale up to 20 MHz for more dense applications like within the Corporate Area and heavily traffic areas in urban centres. This follows the work being done on AWS-3 as well!

Just as Digicel thought they had the upper hand!
    Well Digicel Just responded

---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Well Digicel Just responded

LOL... that's GREAT but, with their heavy-handed fair usage policy and litte/no capacity on LTE?