Thread: new electricity company

Default new electricity company

We need a second electric company!!!

I'm going solar........

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Scavenger View Post
    We need a second electric company!!!
    It's not financially feasible.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    It's not financially feasible.
    How so?
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

I think he means the return on investment will take a minimum of 5 years so you need spare loads of spare capital in the interim which is not available to most.

My main issue is that its not yet technically efficient. Can't see myself investing in tech that is at best 21% efficient in converting solar to electricity. I might consider it when they reach closer to 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    I think he means the return on investment will take a minimum of 5 years so you need spare loads of spare capital in the interim which is not available to most.

My main issue is that its not yet technically efficient. Can't see myself investing in tech that is at best 21% efficient in converting solar to electricity. I might consider it when they reach closer to 50%.
    His argument was to a second electric company. Not solar.

BTW have you looked at solar lately? I'm sure it 8s higher than 21% at this point.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Good article promoting the use of solar ...

Sun rules as St Ann housing community avoids JPS bills

The Old Fort Village, located in Old Fort Bay, St Ann, is leading the way in the use of alternative energy in the parish and possibly Jamaica, by operating fully on solar energy.

The complex has 12 townhouses consisting of one, two and three-bedroom units all powered by the 360 solar panels which line the roofs and other areas of the complex.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    How so?
    The amount of money need to build out the infrastructure and operate will never be recouped because this a country where only 3 in 5 (my estimate) pay for the utilities they are using.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Economists categorize firms engaged on competition in a market economy in four basic categories

Perfect competition - no barriers to entry, similar goods and services produced between players,
    Imperfect competition - some barriers to entry due to capital investment required-typical restaurants, small shops, some differentiation in goods and services produced
    Oligopoly-High barriers to investment due to capital investment, specialized goods and services produced - typical car manufacturer, electronics manufacturer
    Monopoly - Extremely high barrier to entry due to massive capital required - typical electric and water utilities

electric utilities are classified as natural monopolies in which economies of scale are at play, the scale of capital required is immense and the risk is great. Thus to ensure that the public is best served these type of utilities are regulated monopolies where the regulator sets the rates to ensure that the utility operates in the region just above the normal profit return. Normal profit of a company is when the long run average cost is equal to the market price.

The caveat to this however is that you can have competition in the generation area (as we do now), however it makes no economic sense to have multiple transmission grids in any one geographic area

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    His argument was to a second electric company. Not solar.

BTW have you looked at solar lately? I'm sure it 8s higher than 21% at this point.
    Sorry about that, the solar comment from gprs threw me off, my apologies. To answer your question though yes I have been keeping track of Solar panel efficiency. The current record is 23.8% and thats from March. Not much higher than 21%