Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: FLOW is Bandwidth Throttling (slowing down) their heavy internet users.

TwistedPair Guest

Default Bandwidth Cap Now Part of Flow Acceptable Use Policy

I got an email from flow last night stating that they have updated their Acceptable Use Policy. I will admit I have never read previous versions but the following was of intrest:

Abuse of Service

Flow manages its network with one goal: to deliver the best possible broadband Internet experience to all of its customers. Your Flow service is provided over a state of the art Broadband network. This network provides a shared internet service, meaning that bandwidth is shared among all customers and the activities of some customers can adversely impact the experience of others.

Flow uses reasonable network management practices that are consistent with industry standards, to try to ensure that all users have an ideal experience and that no one user through excessive use will negatively impact others.

The following activities in conjunction or individually may constitute a violation of this AUP and can result in the application of this AUP by the Company to reduce a particular User’s bandwidth consumption for a period to be determined by the Company in its sole discretion:

(i) Aggregate bandwidth usage in excess of more than a factor of ten (10) times the average User usage during a calendar month.

(ii) Usage patterns that negatively impact other customers on the network.

(iii) Any other criteria that the Company may in its sole discretion develop and implement from time to time.

The Company may take such measures as it deems necessary, including but not limited to the termination of service, restricting capacity during periods when other Users may experience unsatisfactory service due to the actions of a particular user.
    http://discoverflow.co/jamaica/custo...mation#faq-496 (Click on the click Tab and scroll down to read the policy)

Seems like we will see some changes in network performance, whether this is good or bad depends on the category you fall under.
    Last edited by TwistedPair; Jun 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added Link to article

i would which site is to be blamed for this? TPB or Netflix?
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Wow! People on FLOW get free internet?! They don't have to pay subscription fees for a set bandwidth at all? Hmmm ... I wonder what other service you can pay for and be given less?

hardcoregamers just got shafted
    hp touchsmart 610 1030f

If they know whats good for them they won't play around with these things. People didn't sign up to a capped plan so how the hell you gonna put a cap on it? If you want to start that you better detail your limits in the ads.

20mbits to me = as fast as the thing can go 24/7. They are already giving people effective speeds lower than what would be expected. As soon as any ISP comes with better terms/service it's bye bye flow, if they do anything
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Well they are implementing a cap on who they deem heavy users and persons who affect network performance not really every one generally. So I think hardcore gamers should be ok. It is only torrenters and I guess persons who watch a whole lot of online TV in high def maybe should worry and persons who refuse to secure their Wifi.

The question is what do they currently consider the average User usage?
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    Well they are implementing a cap on who they deem heavy users and persons who affect network performance not really every one generally. So I think hardcore gamers should be ok. It is only torrenters and I guess persons who watch a whole lot of online TV in high def maybe should worry and persons who refuse to secure their Wifi.

I concur with this and am mainly interested in that part in bold

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post

Intelligently analyzed.

and a note to be considered as a heavy user you will have to be using ten times what they deem as a average user

Quote Originally Posted by nuhsenutten View Post
    hardcoregamers just got shafted
    What they need to do is make a gamers bundle. I wouldn't mind say a 12Mb with 3Mb or more up.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    What they need to do is make a gamers bundle. I wouldn't mind say a 12Mb with 3Mb or more up.
    Another question does gamers make up a significant portion of the internet using demographic