Thread: Routing accross VPNS

Default Routing accross VPNS

TJ, is it possible to use routing protocols across VPNS? In my head it should be possible. Basically we have several offices in several countries with at least one VPN connection to one office but no one office is connected to every other office. We have an assortment of edge devices ranging from ASA's to Sonicwalls to even ClearOS. The plan is to have one centralized PBX however we would need to address the issue of availability, so Im thinking OSPF should work what do you guys think.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

The Router wont know its using VPN it will only see the end device .Once configured properly you should be able to communicate across the VPN connection. But to have a centralized PBX all the offices will have to connect back to PBX by some means .OSPF ,RIP EIGRP,BGP,Smoke signalling should all work fine across a VPN .Are you going to have a seperate VPN device or you going to use your Firewall/Router to perform you VPN duties .

Each edge device is a VPN concentrator and the VPNS are already configured, we have ASA's, ClearOS, SYSWAN Tech router, and Sonicwall Routers, so that Rules out EIGRP, BGP. I'm not sold on RIP/RIP V2. So it looks like OSPF it is. Do you have experience in configuring different routing protocols on different devices if you have done something similar to this what are some the things to look out for?

Quote Originally Posted by topanaris View Post
    Each edge device is a VPN concentrator and the VPNS are already configured, we have ASA's, ClearOS, SYSWAN Tech router, and Sonicwall Routers, so that Rules out EIGRP, BGP. I'm not sold on RIP/RIP V2. So it looks like OSPF it is. Do you have experience in configuring different routing protocols on different devices if you have done something similar to this what are some the things to look out for?
    I think the sonicwall only supports RIP. What kind of pbx solution are you using? Do you have a network diagram that you could share?

Sonicwall does support ospf, rip, policy based routing plus more. What firmware version are you using? a basic network diagram would be helpful
    Knowledge is just wasted time if not put to action
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Network +, A+, CCNA, CCDA, CXFS, Avaya (ACIS), MCP ...next stop CCNP,MCSE, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, VCP

Quote Originally Posted by druhan View Post
    Sonicwall does support ospf, rip, policy based routing plus more. What firmware version are you using? a basic network diagram would be helpful
    Sonicwall does support OSPF, we are currently using firmware 5.8.1.9-58o on the SonicWall; the issue is SYSWAN does not support OSPF I'm actually thinking of just changing it to PFsense or something. We are really only left wit RIPv2 being the only routing protocol that all edge devices support. See a very loose network diagram below.

The PBX is asterisk based and we already have SIP phones in all the offices. As you can see from the network diagram not all offices are connected to each other but each is connected to the main office. Not all offices will use the PBX but we will like to include for redundancy.

Last edited by topanaris; Jul 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM.

Something just hit me a while ago, being as we have only one external IP at the JA Main office, wouldnt this impact the default gateway setup?