Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Networking 4 buildings using WLAN

Default Networking 4 buildings using WLAN

A church is looking to wirelessly provide each of their buildings with internet access. Looking to those with experience setting up wireless networks across office buildings, to offer some advice. The map of the church grounds is below.

Building #1 - 2 story conference building. They have a flow wireless modem/router on the 1st floor. They have a 2nd ISP for the 2nd floor. Ultimately want to have 1 ISP.

Building #2, 3, 4 - church building, clinic, offices where they also want internet access.

As you can see, it's a fairly large area. I am thinking we would need some access points at each location, with an omni-directional antenna.

Anyone with experience can give some advice on this setup and suggestions on the equipment might need?
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

You should probably link them using directional antennas with high output. Based on the setup in the pic you could use Building #2 as the base site and have the others point to it based on line of sight. The antennas should work even if there is some obstacle in the way, but line of sight to the location would be better. Security and such would be your next issue. Setting up a DMZ just in case would be something to think about.

A friend of mine had told me where to get some antennas and other equipment cheap previously. Will have to check back with him then post the info.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Default WLAN Setup

Considering it’s not a large project I would suggest using some Ubiquiti Wireless equipment (best on the market currently) which would be perfect for the install. Your equipment choices would be (1) Unifi AP Outdoor 5Ghz unit and (3) NanoLoco 5.8GHz for a point to multi-point setup or go all Unifi as they provide the ability to do wireless up-linking with seamless device roaming.

Unifi Outdoor 5.8GHz - Bldg. 1 with internet access
    NanoLoco’s - Bldg. 2 | 3 | 4 remote locations
    Bldg. 4 is of particular interest as the aerial view shows a partially blocked Line of sight from bldg.1

This should fit your budget as all the above equipment will cost you less than U$500.00 and work quiet well for your particular requirement. You will need a couple of switches and a computer to run the controller. The above can be purchased at my online store www.eTecXS.com out of Miami, FL.

Links to Products:
    http://www.etecxs.com/nanostation-loco-m5/
    http://www.etecxs.com/ubiquiti-unifi...-outdoor-5ghz/

Link me and we can talk some more if needed.
    my location 10.10.10.10 subnet ?

I didn't read it through properly. The setup that JAHMAN182 proposes is good. Building one is probably the tallest and gives the best line of sight to the others.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Thanks guys. I'll be doing a site survey tomorrow and provide some more info.

Don't know yet if the modem can be relocated to the church building. If the church building is the best point to put the modem and antenna, then we could possibly ask the ISP to relocate the modem for them.

@Jahman, thanks for the info. Never heard of those brand equipments before. And your store is in Miami. Was thinking of getting equipment locally.

You'd have to check with a store like Diginet for stuff locally at a good price IMO. Unless we have a member here that has them?

http://www.diginetjamaica.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll be doing a site survey tomorrow and provide some more info.
    @Jahman, thanks for the info. Never heard of those brand equipment before. And your store is in Miami. Was thinking of getting equipment locally.
    Cho man it not so far......lol Anyhow lemme know what you choose I will help you to get it right anyway. Ooooh.....please don't even look at using consumer grade wireless stuff for this install because you will be very disappointed.

look to me like all building could be direct wired with gel fill cat 6 wire, with a cutting wheel and a diamond blade cut a line in the parking lot 2" deep
    http://images5.cafepress.com/product...x225_Front.jpg

FREE HOSTING: Need To host your website i can help you out i'm giving away 10 free account in cpanel on my server just PM ME

I can imagine the running of outdoor cat6 Ethernet cable to be cost prohibitive and subject to destruction and lengthy downtime when the indiscriminate construction worker with a pick axe turn up to do some work. Wireless equipment is inexpensive and the best route to go.

Arch how is the project going? You haven't provided any updates as to what you chose to do for this project.

For the short term, they wanted the #1 building to have internet access on both the first and 2nd floor, for their conference rooms. Fixed that issue for them which was the most pressing issue they had.

Haven't started on the other buildings yet.