Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruby on Rails: Usage in Jamaica

Default Ruby on Rails: Usage in Jamaica

Has anyone or any company in Jamaica is using the Ruby language along with the framework: Rails? That language seems to be getting very popular day by day. Anyone has any experience with it? Maybe the mods of this forum needs to create a section for RoR.
    Just an average web developer.

You know Jamaica is (dirty stinking) PHP country, right? I remember one guy was planning on using it, then went to PHP. Just pathetic. Anyway here is an older thread on the topic.
    Last edited by Satanforce; May 30, 2013 at 07:27 AM.
    Phone: Nokia 1200 with Satantendo ROM v.3.3
    Laptop: (Pentium III 850 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB)
    Console: Sega Dreamcast
    Check out my blog: http://satanforce.wordpress.com/

igodit Guest

Yes, there are some developers who are using Ruby on Rails locally. I started learning it last year and have worked on two projects so far using Ruby on Rails.

Quote Originally Posted by igodit View Post
    Yes, there are some developers who are using Ruby on Rails locally. I started learning it last year and have worked on two projects so far using Ruby on Rails.
    Yeah? Could you tell me which projects? Getting good work so far?

What's so special about RoR? I'm thinking about going with Python on Django...
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

igodit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Satanforce View Post
    Yeah? Could you tell me which projects? Getting good work so far?
    I'm currently working on web application for managing DNS and DDNS zone records with support for multi-tenancy and API. I'm also designing the architecture for hosting the application and DNS.

There is a personal application that I have been working on in Ruby on Rails, making use of the API designed for the web app I'm also developing the iOS app for it.

Outside of that, I use Ruby for developing Opscode chef recipes. This is one of the reasons I started learning Ruby.

I'm currently working on web application for managing DNS and DDNS zone records with support for multi-tenancy and API. I'm also designing the architecture for hosting the application and DNS.
    1. Is this specifically to withstand Denial of Service attacks?
    2. Why not use another DNS management software like VegasDNS?

igodit Guest

There are elements in the architecture of the DNS for mitigating DDOS.

You do understand that you're asking why the project was not developed in PHP (VegaDNS) in a Ruby on Rails thread? I was more comfortable using Ruby on Rails through the development of the web application rather than learning an existing development, though there was a bit of that to aid in the development so far. I understood the architecture that the DNS would work on as well as the business logic which has since evolved. Having done it from the ground up allowed me to be flexible with the development lifecycle.

Hope that answers your questions.

There are elements in the architecture of the DNS for mitigating DDOS.
    If only they worked. Even DNSSEC gets cache poisoning. The problem with DDoS, I think, has to do with the fact that TCP-IP transport layer was created during a time and place where trust was taken for granted. So you have a transport layer by that has no verification of sender. DNSSEC that contribute to amplification attacks that by vomiting forth over sized crypto enhanced packets that jam up servers a symptom , not the disease, because the transport layer is inherently flawed.

You do understand that you're asking why the project was not developed in PHP (VegaDNS) in a Ruby on Rails thread?
    What I meant to ask was, "Are there any specific advantages that Ruby on Rails platform offers you compared to other languages?"

Hope that answers your questions.
    For the most part.

ruby on rails has a big following. if there is something you need to get done that your RoR package doesn't do out of the box, there's a good chance somebody wrote a plugin or a whole project for it. I guess thats what you can say sets each framework apart, the amount of support you can get from the community

the only thing i did with RoR was setup an auction project i found on git and and then convert it to python for a framework called web2py