Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The XBOX One

well, I am certainly not buying it. I have not had a 360 for the since it has been out so I am looking forward to getting tons of used game for cheap, cheap, cheap. The one advantage of avoiding the current generation until it dies.

Now since the WiiU is the only current gen with backward compatibility and seems to already be hacked then the XboxOne and PS4 will have a tough time not flopping because of a large portion of the none hardcode people skipping it for cheap older consoles that they can borrow games from their friends. How many people still rocking ps2s?

We live in troubling times my friends. The XboxOne will be listening to you and shooting lazors into your living room all day long.

I doubt that matters since most people aren't just going to up and buy a new game (that looks like that). Most likely they would pirate it and then toss it. All them guys assume people want to pay money for their crap.
    Ah.The good old "They wouldn't have paid for that piece of crap anyway!" excuse. Why does this always come from people who pirate a 5 dollar game to play on a 500 dollar phone that they starved themselves to buy? Or the geek with 3 nvidia GTXs who pirates Crysis? Or the doofus who can spend 150 dollars on an MP3 player, yet won't even pay a few cents for a song?

Good PC games sell well enough
    No.They become console exclusive. Like Gears of War and Halo. Or they do like Crysis, and support console and PC. From the lead designer:

Cevat Yerli: It is certainly. We are suffering currently from the huge piracy that is encompassing Crysis. We seem to lead the charts in piracy by a large margin, a chart leading that is not desirable. I believe that's the core problem of PC Gaming, piracy. To the degree PC Gamers that pirate games inherently destroy the platform. Similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more. It was a big lesson for us and I believe we wont have PC exclusives as we did with Crysis in future. We are going to support PC, but not exclusive anymore.
    So we have nerds with the 2000 dollar, 4 GPU, Quad Core blinky light PCs, and the AlienWare laptops pirating the FPSs. At least they're equal opportunity. They also pirate cheap "crap", see (the excellent) Machinarium's and World of Goo's 95 percent piracy rate

Bottom line, we are going to see a lot more of these walled gardens springing up. Basically, a bunch of online stores combined with exclusive software tied to a hardware platform. Microsoft is just taking the next step hardware wise. We will see Amazon, Facebook and Sony join MS , along with Apple and Google. They will all fail of course. Microsoft will fail first, and recover the best. Google and Facebook will fail the hardest. But that will be almost around 2020. By then they will only be figuring out what Nintendo has known since 1985 -specialized hardware and general demographics is the key - not general nerd hardware that tries to appeal to everybody.

Owen , that video was wrong yow. But it showed why I havent played a FPS since Goldeneye and Turok on N64 - they're all the same.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; May 23, 2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: merged multiple posts
    Phone: Nokia 1200 with Satantendo ROM v.3.3
    Laptop: (Pentium III 850 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB)
    Console: Sega Dreamcast
    Check out my blog: http://satanforce.wordpress.com/

very few people understand why console hardware is different from pc hardware. Even fewer people understand why a 4 ghz processor is faster than a 4 core 1ghz processor. Some people even think smartphone games are comparable to things like super mario on the Nes. But I digress, the world is filled with pimps and hoes.

@satanforce FPS games are like so common nowadays.

The only good thing about there new tech, is the shared memory architecture and the switch to x86. And x86 is the easiest architecture to code for because the first programming language learned and used to write a program was most likely compiled using an x86 compiler.
    Well C++ is C++, whether its on x86-64 or WiiU POWER - the compiler hides (most) of the architectural details. The main problems are when they go all exotic and don't provide proper middleware (see PS2 Emotion Engine and the N64 microcode) and that no one knows how to do multicore right (PDF).

If you didn't read the PDF, and I don't blame you, the short story is that there are not enough people who know Functional Languages like F#, Haskell and OCaML. These languages' states are mutable, you don't have to worry about which thread is doing what. In fact, you can do some pretty amazing stuff. Like in Erlang, you can make different threads of execution AND send messages among them with simple primitives (concurrency!). Try that with that POS Borland "Turbo" C they have me using up at UTech!

So if , say someone on a third world island were to make a middle ware kit that that could exploit multicore properly, it would immediately catapult that third world coder and his studio immediately into the spotlight. Such a skill would put them over even big studios like EA. Games would finally have AI and graphics that actually looked completely different from the previous generation instead of mere improvements.

If only....
    Phone: Nokia 1200 with Satantendo ROM v.3.3
    Laptop: (Pentium III 850 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB)
    Console: Sega Dreamcast
    Check out my blog: http://satanforce.wordpress.com/

This is why I stick to PC because quit frankly consoles are turning into them. No matter what they do games will always be pirated because look at steam for example. For all the popular games there is a non-steam version and some of them have private servers for online play.

As usual M$ trying to get into all the nooks and cranny's of the market, so if I was to get a gaming device it might as well be portable:

Last edited by Powpow; May 22, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Quote Originally Posted by Satanforce View Post
    Well C++ is C++, whether its on x86-64 or WiiU POWER - the compiler hides (most) of the architectural details. The main problems are when they go all exotic and don't provide proper middleware (see PS2 Emotion Engine and the N64 microcode) and that no one knows how to do multicore right (PDF).

If you didn't read the PDF, and I don't blame you, the short story is that there are not enough people who know Functional Languages like F#, Haskell and OCaML. These languages' states are mutable, you don't have to worry about which thread is doing what. In fact, you can do some pretty amazing stuff. Like in Erlang, you can make different threads of execution AND send messages among them with simple primitives (concurrency!). Try that with that POS Borland "Turbo" C they have me using up at UTech!

So if , say someone on a third world island were to make a middle ware kit that that could exploit multicore properly, it would immediately catapult that third world coder and his studio immediately into the spotlight. Such a skill would put them over even big studios like EA. Games would finally have AI and graphics that actually looked completely different from the previous generation instead of mere improvements.

If only....

oh the good old days lol

Quote Originally Posted by Satanforce View Post
    Ah.The good old "They wouldn't have paid for that piece of crap anyway!" excuse. Why does this always come from people who pirate a 5 dollar game to play on a 500 dollar phone that they starved themselves to buy? Or the geek with 3 nvidia GTXs who pirates Crysis? Or the doofus who can spend 150 dollars on an MP3 player, yet won't even pay a few cents for a song?
    it's called experience. People who pirate know themselves better than you. I don't know anyone who would say their phone is bought just for gaming. Many android apps are free so they can justify the cost of the phone. If they couldn't pirate and had to buy everything they used on the phone, they wouldn't buy the phone. Similar to the person who buys a good graphics card. This person might buy a new game here and there, but for the GPU investment to be worth it, they would have to be able to actually BE a gamer. i.e. play games and often, several games.

Similarly some of these consoles are just not worth it to some people unless they can pirate games for them. At the end of the day both the hardware companies and the software companies would lose if those people cant be kept interested.

It's a complicated situation that you are oversimplifying, but, like I said, the bigger issue was people buying used games with the companies being out of the loop.

No.They become console exclusive. Like Gears of War and Halo. Or they do like Crysis, and support console and PC. From the lead designer:
    again oversimplified. They are making console games and complaining that they don't sell well on PC. Those similar games on consoles are console games. One example is a game that I bought, bfbc2, that actually felt better when i played it on ps3 than it did on PC. I don't know what's up with crytek, considering they sold more crysis 1 copies on PC than they sold crysis 2 on xbox and ps3. They fail here and there to please PC gamers. For example, crysis 3 doesn't even have a benchmark last I checked. That made absolutely no sense for that kind of game and being on PC. PC gamers want their benchmarks among other things. Other games recently have surely sold past the million mark on PC.

So we have nerds with the 2000 dollar, 4 GPU, Quad Core blinky light PCs, and the AlienWare laptops pirating the FPSs. At least they're equal opportunity. They also pirate cheap "crap", see (the excellent) Machinarium's and World of Goo's 95 percent piracy rate
    exaggerating is fun I guess. Most of these "nerds" probably don't reach a grand with their PCs and they most likely can't spend much on $60 games afterwards. Stop with the silly examples. Games like that are obviously going to get pirated. Hopefully they managed to convert some of those pirates to buyers. I remember pirating world of goo. Never heard of it till I saw it on the torrent site I think and just decided to check it out. Don't know why they would expect someone like me to up and buy a game like that. There is a lot of naivety going on here.

Bottom line, we are going to see a lot more of these walled gardens springing up. Basically, a bunch of online stores combined with exclusive software tied to a hardware platform. Microsoft is just taking the next step hardware wise. We will see Amazon, Facebook and Sony join MS , along with Apple and Google. They will all fail of course. Microsoft will fail first, and recover the best. Google and Facebook will fail the hardest. But that will be almost around 2020. By then they will only be figuring out what Nintendo has known since 1985 -specialized hardware and general demographics is the key - not general nerd hardware that tries to appeal to everybody.
    *shrug*
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

have to connect every 24hrs to verify software.... So technically needs net connection. Long periods of disconnection = screwed. That needs to be hacked. Fake server on local network anyone?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...nce-every-day/
    Last edited by semitop; May 22, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
    All rights reserved.

Well the only thing i look forward to is sharper graphics that tempts the edge of reality and generally better games, They did one thing that apple is now doing (take things that jailbreakers create and use it as their own) installing your games on your hard drive is basically what jtagged xbox 360 have been doing, that works for me, instead of having one bag a CD pile up. I'm pretty sure that my ppl will will take care of me, it's the self righteous poor ppl who have crappy internet connection who will pay TWICE for used games; im sorry for. This is a win for me
    Last edited by kezwick; May 22, 2013 at 10:23 PM.

I like discs. Hope they never have an all digital console.
    All rights reserved.