Thread: Windows 8 Issues & Help

Default Windows 8 Issues & Help

Before going any further with the issue I'm having or the solution to something else that I found let me point to this:

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...-8-Help-Thread

This thread is a sticky and has an EXCELLENT list of stuff that should be looked over before complaining about anything.

So first off let me post the solution to an issue that I found - installing a driver that is not signed. I came across this when I needed to install a USB capture device for a friend on Win8. For love nor money it wouldn't go through but gave no specific error - then I checked on the signing - and then I checked online.

http://laslow.net/2012/03/14/disable...-in-windows-8/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM1MN8QZhnk

Those should help turn that garbage off and get your drivers working should you have that as an issue.

Now for my problem. I realize from time to time - while gaming or otherwise - that my HDD light stays on constantly for a few seconds. This causes the game I'm in to either freeze till the light goes off or drag badly till the light goes off. I do not recall this happening to me on XP or 7. I've not put back any of those OSes yet - I'm trying to figure what would be causing it. I don't think it's isolated to me only as one other person I know complains about similar things. If anyone has any idea what's going on with that let me know. I have a feeling it may be related to the power schemes that 8 uses.....
    Last edited by khat17; Apr 13, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

First thought is that it might be a file the HDD is trying to que up but maybe file is corrupt or clusters going bad.. Take this with a grain of salt as I have never touched Windows 8 and might never do.
    Zee
    -----
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

Doubt it's my drive/s but will check still as that's a good point.

*EDIT*
    Didn't check my drive but the problem started getting to me. I did some searching around and it seems that Win8 has a habit of checking/polling the SATA ports. If there is no disc in the optical drive/s then it sits there for a while for some reason. I've disabled my optical drives in Device Manager and I'm now using the machine with no issues so far. Will see how it goes for today or the rest of the week. If this is actually the issue then I'm going back to Windows 7 until it's fixed - or maybe permanently.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Doubt it's my drive/s but will check still as that's a good point.

*EDIT*
    Didn't check my drive but the problem started getting to me. I did some searching around and it seems that Win8 has a habit of checking/polling the SATA ports. If there is no disc in the optical drive/s then it sits there for a while for some reason. I've disabled my optical drives in Device Manager and I'm now using the machine with no issues so far. Will see how it goes for today or the rest of the week. If this is actually the issue then I'm going back to Windows 7 until it's fixed - or maybe permanently.
    Hmmm never had that issue, you may want to dig deeper. Try switching out the Optical drive

I got frustrated. Currently formatting and installing Win 7. Though the drive check was a good suggestion I really don't have the time to do that. If I see the issue on 7 then I'll tell 8 sorry and maybe go back there. Maybe.

Considering I know someone else nearby with similar drive usage issues that didn't have the problems on 7 I'm going back. I'll let you know if it pops up again. It did while I was in 8 and the system was down to a crawl - couldn't deal with that anymore.

Hmmm strange, could have been a bad install. However such is life, have yet to come across that issue yet so will keep an eye out

Frustration gets to all of us sometimes. Glad you kinda found the issue here.

SN: Their is still the bad bite that is lingering in my stomach from purchasing vista which gives me some crazy feeling that Windows 8 was just as rushed. I still haven't purchased 7 yet.
    Zee
    -----
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC