Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ubuntu now fits your phone

It will be interesting to re-read this thread 3 years from now.
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

It will interesting to see what this year has in store for ubuntu. I think if it is stable enuff to be installed on one of my droid I will give it a try and post what i think

Quote Originally Posted by igodit View Post
    When Google announced Android in 2007, I'm sure there was a lot of speculation on the demographic of its users. Fast forward to 2012/2013, Android is arguably the leading smartphone in the hands of the average consumer.

Canonical will do what they need to for their product to become relevant as a consumer product.
    Canonical ain't Google, all we are saying up to this point is pure conjecture, but, as I said before Apps, Apps and more Apps. Mass market appeal is where its at.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

igodit Guest

@topanaris I think you've missed my point, I'm not saying Canonical is or has the resources of Google. I'm simply speculating that Canonical can easy position themselves to be acquired by Google. We all know having apps the more popular apps ported to any new mobile platform is what will make or break it, but how difficult do you really think it would be to do that bare in mind that both Android and Ubuntu are Linux variants.

Yes, everything we've said up tot his point is personal speculation but that and the core facts are all we have to go on at this point.

-- Why isn't this thread in the Mobile forum?
    Last edited by igodit; Feb 4, 2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Added Video Feature and Review from Soldier Knows Best

Here is a BBC interview with Jane Silber of Ubuntu.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p014tsfp

Quote Originally Posted by topanaris View Post
    Canonical ain't Google, all we are saying up to this point is pure conjecture, but, as I said before Apps, Apps and more Apps. Mass market appeal is where its at.
    Your point is correct. When Android came out it was being pushed by the mighty google who had a great advantage of (google, google maps for navigation, youtube, securing a relationship with samsung, htc, lg, motorola etc.) and while google was putting this great implementation together they had no real roadblocks since apple IOS was only on Iphone, BB os was only on BB so they could comfortably build android to what it is today.

Ubuntu needs more than a great/perfect OS to get anywhere. (samsung, htc, lg, motorola will always put their android phones as top priority since android has made them billions) no major phone company shall put a young and growing Ubuntu as top priority which means less sales and best case scenario a battle with windows phone.

Microsoft with all their money and power along with good OS tried to do what android did (get htc, samsung etc to carry their OS. go as far as buy the house hold name nokia and load their os. push great marketing and they still could not push them selves to number one.

With all that said even 2 -3-10 years from now Ubuntu will be known by enthusiasts but most of us on techja wont have one (my prediction)
    Ryzen 7 3700x * RTX 2060 * 16gb DDR4 * MSI Mortar B550 Mboard
    https://www.healthtipsja.com My Wifes Website check it out.
    https://www.wehfia.com
    https://www.minimalis.bitrix24.site

Quote Originally Posted by wishlist View Post
    With all that said even 2 -3-10 years from now Ubuntu will be known by enthusiasts but most of us on techja wont have one (my prediction)
    The main goal of open source software is choice. It is not world domination.

Linux was developed as an alternative to the current approach to software licensing. It has always been a community based movement. Many open source developers are suspicious of corporations such as Google and Microsoft.

I have Ubuntu running on my laptop. I am likely to try it on a tablet. Once I like it, it doesn't really matter if it is not the most widely used.

BTW, I guess you know that Android is the most popular Linux operating system out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    The main goal of open source software is choice. It is not world domination.

Linux was developed as an alternative to the current approach to software licensing. It has always been a community based movement. Many open source developers are suspicious of corporations such as Google and Microsoft.

I have Ubuntu running on my laptop. I am likely to try it on a tablet. Once I like it, it doesn't really matter if it is not the most widely used.

BTW, I guess you know that Android is the most popular Linux operating system out there.
    Mobile computing and desktop computing are miles apart; i.e. there is not "legal" method of changing the OS I got with my mobile devices (unless promulgated via software update by the manufacturer). Ubuntu cannot make a phone and say they are going after mass market and then leave everything up to the community, as they say in Texas that dog won't hunt. No telecoms company would dare take that risk. If this is gonna be the success that I think it can be it will have to be closed and completely contravene and alienate all the persons that made Ubuntu what it is today - no geeks allowed.
    Last edited by topanaris; Feb 11, 2013 at 08:42 AM.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......