Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Valve's Steam & Games Coming To Linux

Quote Originally Posted by carey View Post
    Wow similar experience here. But mine started much later than all yours. It was while the schools just transitioning from Win 3.x jump over 95 and went straight 98 then shortly after we see a green SE added to that 98. Back then we didn't know what windows 3.x was. Either I missed the classes where he introduced the OS to use or it was hidden from us.

We had to use Lotus 1-2-3 for spreadsheet and watching most of my senpai using copy con and some such commands was confusing because we used c:\>EDIT for documents, save to hard drive then copy to floppy drive. That was in grade 9.

Tronyx was one of those senpai. He can tell you how those days were. My mom bought our first computer in 1999, right after high school because IT was becoming requisite. My group in high school hadn't done IT so that training skipped us. We were unqualified in that area. My real training came from HEART/Trust. They made me what I am today.

All that time it was Windows on someone else system. Windows on my home system was fun until my first infections because of inserting other persons' promiscuous floppies into my PC. Files got crippled.My search for an alternative started with that handicapped OS. A copy of Win98SE was about $4500, and that was the pirated version. I found BeOS, loved it, but only graphics and audio worked properly. Dialup was beyond me with the softmodem.

Then after a series of fortunate events -- coming across something about Linux in a Suzanne Dodd article(I loved this woman's work), finding an old Caldera distro at a former workplace(a library) and somehow linking up with David Bain and Donavan Campbell -- I was launched headfirst into the Linux sea with Mandrake 7.x.

So, I have been using Windows since 1996 and nothing but expenses and thrift follow that path. In 2001 I switched to open source solutions and have stuck with them from ever since. Linux, NetBSD, BeOS. They were all easy to get and all enlightening.

Now, being the alternativist that I am, I am searching for some other option to Linux now. So far I can always go back to NetBSD, but I am also eyeing ReactOS, Haiku and Plan9. Plan 9 is amazing to read about.
    I didn't know there were people like you in Jamaica.

Just more confirmation of the original article:
    Valve has a working version of Steam and Left for Dead 2 on Ubuntu. The software company revealed this on a new blog about its efforts to bring its popular online game distribution platform to Linux.

This official announcement confirms months of speculation about Valve's Linux development plans. In fact, Phoronix first broke the news in 2010, but it seems that it's only recently that there was enough reason to believe that Valve was serious.
    Read more: http://asia.cnet.com/valve-ports-ste...u-62217966.htm
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/2/321...pengl-direct3d
    Valve's distaste for Windows 8 has led the company to take on an increasing interest in Linux, and the new Valve Linux blog shows that, with some work, the Source Engine actually runs faster on it than it does on Windows. The company used a testbed with an Intel i7 3930k, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680, and 32GB of RAM to pit Left 4 Dead 2 on Windows 7 against Ubuntu 12, and the results are rather interesting.

At first, Valve's Linux port of Left 4 Dead 2 ran at only 6 FPS on the i7 machine, but after tweaking the game to make effective use of the efficient characteristics of the Linux kernel and OpenGL, the Valve Linux team was able to eke out a much higher 315 FPS. Using the same machine running Windows 7 and Direct3D, the same game ran at 270.6 FPS, or roughly 14 percent slower.

After optimizing the Source Engine for the Linux platform, Valve wondered why OpenGL was outperforming Direct3D at a technical level. Their research found that, on the same hardware, there are "a few additional microseconds [of] overhead per batch in Direct3D which does not affect OpenGL," indicating that Direct3D may not be as efficient as Microsoft would like developers to believe. There are still challenges ahead for the Valve Linux team, however, as the state of Linux graphics card drivers is still a tumultuous affair. The team has yet to work with AMD and Nvidia, but collaboration with Intel's engineers took place just last month.
    Copied the entire article cuz its a short one but there are some hyperlinks u can check on the source page.
    Seems like valve onlyjust found out what alot of people already knew, OpenGL beats directx most of the time, just need nvidia and amd to give us some proper drivers
    Laptop: HP DV6700t - Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 8400m GS, 250GB HDD. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by Skillachi View Post
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/2/321...pengl-direct3d

Copied the entire article cuz its a short one but there are some hyperlinks u can check on the source page.
    Seems like valve onlyjust found out what alot of people already knew, OpenGL beats directx most of the time, just need nvidia and amd to give us some proper drivers
    I always preferred playing CS with OpenGL. DirectX just got more attention through the years.

With Wayland coming out, things going to get even more spiced up.

Only thing left is for M$ to start hitting people left-right-centre with patent violation suits .

Wayland? Never heard of it before... kindly educate me.

True thing though, OpenGL doesn;t get the respect it deserved. Not really its fault though, its hard to compete against something thats so ubiquitos
    Laptop: HP DV6700t - Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 8400m GS, 250GB HDD. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Default Steam for Linux to Arrive ‘In a Few Days’

Quote Originally Posted by Steam for Linux to Arrive ‘In a Few Days’
    Steam’s arrival on Linux isn’t a secret – and even when it was it was a poorly kept one.

The company have been internally testing the Linux client for a while, and recently announced that an ‘external’ beta Linux users would be coming out ‘sometime in October’. No specific date was given.

But, today, a request from Canonical’s Bryce H. to Ubuntu developers has offered up a more definite time-frame – one that seems to be happening this week.
    Read more: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/s...-in-a-few-days

Good news.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Skillachi View Post
    Wayland? Never heard of it before... kindly educate me.

True thing though, OpenGL doesn;t get the respect it deserved. Not really its fault though, its hard to compete against something thats so ubiquitos
    Sorry. I always seem to miss updates. I hope you are still alive

I usually start with some area where info aggregates in massive quantities (Wikipedia); then dig from there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waylan...rver_protocol)

Surely you jest? Especially with the joke that is OpenGL 3.
    Phone: Nokia 1200 with Satantendo ROM v.3.3
    Laptop: (Pentium III 850 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB)
    Console: Sega Dreamcast
    Check out my blog: http://satanforce.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Satanforce View Post
    Surely you jest? Especially with the joke that is OpenGL 3.
    Don't call me Shirley. Hehe.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by carey View Post
    Wow similar experience here. But mine started much later than all yours. It was while the schools just transitioning from Win 3.x jump over 95 and went straight 98 then shortly after we see a green SE added to that 98. Back then we didn't know what windows 3.x was. Either I missed the classes where he introduced the OS to use or it was hidden from us.

We had to use Lotus 1-2-3 for spreadsheet and watching most of my senpai using copy con and some such commands was confusing because we used c:\>EDIT for documents, save to hard drive then copy to floppy drive. That was in grade 9.

Tronyx was one of those senpai. He can tell you how those days were. My mom bought our first computer in 1999, right after high school because IT was becoming requisite. My group in high school hadn't done IT so that training skipped us. We were unqualified in that area. My real training came from HEART/Trust. They made me what I am today.

All that time it was Windows on someone else system. Windows on my home system was fun until my first infections because of inserting other persons' promiscuous floppies into my PC. Files got crippled.My search for an alternative started with that handicapped OS. A copy of Win98SE was about $4500, and that was the pirated version. I found BeOS, loved it, but only graphics and audio worked properly. Dialup was beyond me with the softmodem.

Then after a series of fortunate events -- coming across something about Linux in a Suzanne Dodd article(I loved this woman's work), finding an old Caldera distro at a former workplace(a library) and somehow linking up with David Bain and Donavan Campbell -- I was launched headfirst into the Linux sea with Mandrake 7.x.

So, I have been using Windows since 1996 and nothing but expenses and thrift follow that path. In 2001 I switched to open source solutions and have stuck with them from ever since. Linux, NetBSD, BeOS. They were all easy to get and all enlightening.

Now, being the alternativist that I am, I am searching for some other option to Linux now. So far I can always go back to NetBSD, but I am also eyeing ReactOS, Haiku and Plan9. Plan 9 is amazing to read about.
    All these young people. I do envy your path still. Mine actually started on Mac and then DOS and Windows. Copy con. Heh. Haven't seen that in a while. Maybe you'll remember things like Blake Stone and SAM and the really epic graphics of CD-MAN and such...

Anyways - Linux is very very good. Free/Open. I should probably abandon Windows but at current here's my thing.

Windows is for my everyday use. Linux is for troubleshooting and data recovery. Gaming was far from Linux in the past - though some things would work with WINE and some games were ported to Linux. Once STEAM fully goes this way I'll try and streamline some things to get it working.

Problems in Linux? Have issues with the number of partitions I have - need to use NTFS-CONFIG and MOUNTMANAGER to get everything sorted. After that gets done I realize that sometimes it does not auto-mount the USB drives - FAT/32 or NTFS. Then there's the editing issue. Though there are a lot of alternatives to the Windows software I still firmly believe that there isn't anything that compares with Sony Vegas/Adobe Premiere for video. GIMP and InkScape (among others) are excellent for stills but the learning curve is steep - and the interface isn't as intuitive as those on the Windows platform (familiarity).

Back on track though - if they can get this to work with your existing library from Windows then I'll be fine. And no conflicts.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".