Thread: A (Radio) telescope that generates more data than the whole internet

Default A (Radio) telescope that generates more data than the whole internet

"One of the goals is to search what happened at the time of the Big Bang, 13 billion years ago," IBM researcher Ronanld Luijten told Mashable. "We need to figure out what technology needs to be chosen in order to build this large antenna."

The project is called DOME, and it's challenged to find a way to capture and process approximately one exabyte every day, which works out to about twice the amount of data that's generated every day by the World Wide Web, IBM says.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/02/tech/i...ope/index.html

Interesting, But where would it be getting the data from and where would it be sending it to ?
    Previous Devices -> SE P1i , Nokia E75, Blackberry 9900 OS 7.1, HTC One

Current Device -> LG G6

Quote Originally Posted by PrenticeX View Post
    Interesting, But where would it be getting the data from and where would it be sending it to ?
    u zeet i wonder what the size of the "whole internet" is

boy, these people have time to waste. all they are trying to find out and all that data is needless, Gen 1:1 "in the beginning God created the heaven's and the earth". God spoke it and "BANG" it happened......... lol
    Back to square one....., back off the ground now........

Quote Originally Posted by Flexx17 View Post
    u zeet i wonder what the size of the "whole internet" is
    gibibyte is roughly the size I am estimating.

A gibibyte is = 2^30
    A exabyte is = 2^60

Quote Originally Posted by danthony View Post
    boy, these people have time to waste. all they are trying to find out and all that data is needless, Gen 1:1 "in the beginning God created the heaven's and the earth". God spoke it and "BANG" it happened......... lol
    I agree lol... great quote!!

Quote Originally Posted by PrenticeX View Post
    The data comes from the sound waves that are being transmitted throughout space.

Quote Originally Posted by danthony View Post
    True, but scientist only believe what they can prove... so until they have figured out a way to detect heaven, they'll still be searching. On the plus side though, they'll be able to paint a better picture of what's happening in space, and be able to detect other sentient beings, provided that there are any.
    .:] ^ [:.
    .:] Game IDs: xfire_ropy | BC:BC2_ropy | BC: 2142_ropy29 | BF3_ | steam_ropy09 | LoL_ropy09 | Origin_ropy29 [:.

jomo Guest

Lol, I wish them all the best

BTW what happend to that black hole they were trying to simulate? LOL cokehead dem have too much money to waste...