Thread: Entry Level Jobs

Unhappy Entry Level Jobs

I just completed my BSc in Computer Science. I have been looking in the paper for jobs and all I see are jobs requiring a minimum 3 years experience.
    My question are
    1. Where does one who is just starting out look for entry level jobs
    2. Does anyone know how to look for jobs in the US while you are in Jamaica?.
    3. Finally has anyone checked out the Canadian jobs that was recently advertised, it seemed like a hoax, just wondering if anyone verified that it wasn't?

For those programmers, software developers and IT persons home qualified but out of work like myself I found a great virtual job site for you. It is called odesk.com and I first learnt about it right here on Tech Jamaica. I know I am only increasing my competition by sharing this, but I have learnt the best way to know if you are good is to compete among the best.There are jobs in almost every area of IT you can think of and they are all international, and pay in US currency. The jobs have very flexible work hours and an efficient payment system. It takes a bit of effort in the beginning to set up and navigate the waters of odesk but by reviewing other contractors and what they I realize it is worth it. Just thought I would share, if you are interested please use the link below or go to odesk.com. Let us show the world the true skill of Jamaican IT professionals.

Odesk actual link.

https://www.odesk.com/referrals/trac...kforce - oDesk
    Last edited by Asus24; Sep 4, 2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: edited link

Let me start off by saying congrats on obtaining ur degree - but now im going to burst ur bubble and say this - a degree doesnt mean anything to most jobs in the gleaner.. most corporate bodies value certifications+experience over a first degree in the IT field. Secondly, i'll say that if ur like me who went straight through the gleaner and internet - expect a dry spell cuz there are literally thousands of persons out there who have not only a degree but also experience, certifications AND links that are applying for the same job as you.

what field are you looking to branch into? Programming? Web-dev? DB? Networking? SYSADM? Technician? whatever it is - recognize what is required of you in the market and get it..

if your interested in programming - learn more languages, volunteer your services to companies and work from home through odesk while applying - write programs which you think would be an asset to discuss when going to an interview (like a Java program that manages and distributes company mail to the appropriate invididuals)

if ur doing webdev or DBM - its practically the same thing - but with websites and databace management..

when it comes to the other things (which are a bit more hands on) i definately recommend
    1) build a toolkit with useful tools - (for on/off the job) it shows interviewers that ur always prepared for work
    2) get ur certs - A+ or CCNA/Net+ or MSCE/MCITP - these things will give u the cutting edge above others
    3) become a consultant - definately a good idea, if you have friends or friends of friends who have problems, always make urself available to help them out (gives u links) * ill elaborate a little more
    4)Volunteer - in order to START getting that experience u need - find out which companies have internship programs and apply
    5) since networking and sysadm kinda go hand in hand - create and administer a home network with multiple users and a server and firmiliarize urself with vmware or virtualbox along with various client/server OS's

*when it comes to being a consultant - its not hard at all.. just pick up on ur interests and learn as much as possible on it - participate in forums (like this one ) by answering questions that may pop up \
    e.g. - im a computer and smartphone salesman/consultant in my own spare time but around here - people here know me as "the android man" simply because i read up and learned as much as possible about android phones - often people call me asking for advice about android from purchasing one down to how to do technical stuff like root it and mod it. in my current job, i've actually gotten 5 people to switch from BB to android simply by consulting them on it and best believe that things like this looks good on ur resume when you add..

on the side, try and start an IT Sales job selling computer parts, phones or anything u can get ur hands on. this way u can hussle a likkle money while getting links and building ur knowledge base.. this is what i did after Utech and it all as helped towards me becoming a sysadmin

hope this helps out
    Last edited by vylle; Sep 14, 2011 at 12:01 PM.
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

@vylle
    very good info you gave the young graduate there. often times we overlook the simple things such as volunteering and/or the consultancy service as you suggested (which i think adds a lot of value).

As previously posted, the job market is VERY competitive and you need to ensure that you have something that makes you stand out. When applying, try to make your resume stand out in terms of formatting and general aesthetics. Try to tweak your statement of purpose for each individual job you apply for instead of using a generic "one size fits all" one. Also, try to put your accomplishments instead of task descriptions in your list of experiences.

good luck (you will need it)
    Black by popular demand
    Ω
    Asus G73JH 17.3" - Core i7 740QM|6GB DDR3 1333| ATI Mobility Radeon 5870 1GB| 640GB HDD

oh.. i forgot to mention - ACS- has a job opening for technical support operator.. pay maybe low (i think they are on MIS/IT2 scale) but u'd get a bag of experience which could contribute to ur next job..
    Facebook || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Asus24 View Post
    I just completed my BSc in Computer Science. I have been looking in the paper for jobs and all I see are jobs requiring a minimum 3 years experience.
    My question are
    1. Where does one who is just starting out look for entry level jobs
    2. Does anyone know how to look for jobs in the US while you are in Jamaica?.
    3. Finally has anyone checked out the Canadian jobs that was recently advertised, it seemed like a hoax, just wondering if anyone verified that it wasn't?
    It has been recommended in the past by the very establishments themselves that a good place to start at an entry level with experience not being an issue is at a bank NCB, Scotia, RCB etc... will take individuals in who have Associates or Bachelors you will most likely not get to start in your field of preferrence or speciality but the banks stated that they employ internally before externally so if you started working for them with your Bachelors in Computer Science and you were taught to do Data Entry, paper or front desk work when roles become available they will check inside before checking outside so if their IT department needs posts to be filled they will take their internal IT qualified individuals first and if they cannot find anyone or if anyone is not qualified enough then they will search outside. This also applies to other entry level positions like individual who completed their Degrees in Accounts, HR, Management etc........

Quote Originally Posted by Asus24 View Post
    For those programmers, software developers and IT persons home qualified but out of work like myself I found a great virtual job site for you. It is called odesk.com and I first learnt about it right here on Tech Jamaica. I know I am only increasing my competition by sharing this, but I have learnt the best way to know if you are good is to compete among the best.There are jobs in almost every area of IT you can think of and they are all international, and pay in US currency. The jobs have very flexible work hours and an efficient payment system. It takes a bit of effort in the beginning to set up and navigate the waters of odesk but by reviewing other contractors and what they I realize it is worth it. Just thought I would share, if you are interested please use the link below or go to odesk.com. Let us show the world the true skill of Jamaican IT professionals.

Odesk actual link.

https://www.odesk.com/referrals/trac...kforce - oDesk
    Yeah odesk is a good place to start but its mainly beneficial to individuals who are Programmers and Graphic Designer, that also looks like a referral link which will most likely be assassinated soon by a mod.
    Intel i5 2300, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, 12GB DDR3 @1600 MHZ, XFX 6870 2gb (Stock). All Stock

For in much wisdom is much grief, and increase of knowledge is increase of sorrow | If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you its yours if it doesn't, it never was.

Good Advice vylle the most important thing he will get from selling is a bigger network which is critical to career advancement in this day and age. Too many times i see "techies: whining and complaining "is only people who have links get work and people who have di skills cyaa get a buss" dont be one of those please.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

My comments are only for programmers and designers.
    The most important thing you can do right now is to build your portfolio. I cannot stress this enough. I am always looking out for talented developers and designers to join my team and the single most important element is the work that they have done. Anyone can say they can build a robust website or mobile app but when you can show me that you have done it multiple times then you immediately move far ahead of the pack.
    So go out there and start working on free projects for clients, ideas you've always wanted to implement and just get the portfolio built up. Don't do it half way either. Ensure that you only include finished products as a half done site is worst than none at all.
    "Fortune Favors the Bold" -Virgil

thats what i would suggest sumo - if your job is to make software of any shape or form - its good to discuss them to ur potential employer but its better to also burn the software on a CD and carry it to the interview OOOR carry a mobile PC and demonstrate how the software or website looks and works.. did this for a graphic artist job way back then and i got it -

its also a good idea to get testimonials (not the same as references) from persons who you have created software for or persons whom have used your software as well.. that adds an extra notch in ur belt as a developer/designer
    Facebook || Twitter

Thank You for all the advice you all have provided