Thread: Want To Control 2 Or More Computers With Just 1 Mouse And 1 Keyboard?

Default Want To Control 2 Or More Computers With Just 1 Mouse And 1 Keyboard?

WELL THIS IS FOR YOU, INTRODUCING SYNERGY

synergy: [noun] a mutually advantageous conjunction of distinct elements

Synergy lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between multiple computers with different operating systems, each with its own display, without special hardware. It's intended for users with multiple computers on their desk since each system uses its own monitor(s).

Redirecting the mouse and keyboard is as simple as moving the mouse off the edge of your screen. Synergy also merges the clipboards of all the systems into one, allowing cut-and-paste between systems. Furthermore, it synchronizes screen savers so they all start and stop together and, if screen locking is enabled, only one screen requires a password to unlock them all. Learn more about how it works.

Synergy is open source and released under the GNU Public License (GPL).

System Requirements

* Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me (the Windows 95 family)
    * Microsoft Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP (the Windows NT family)
    * Mac OS X 10.2 or higher
    * Unix
    o X Windows version 11 revision 4 or up
    o XTEST extension
    (use "xdpyinfo | grep XTEST" to check for XTEST)

All systems must support TCP/IP networking.

"Unix" includes Linux, Solaris, Irix and other variants. Synergy has only been extensively tested on Linux and may not work completely or at all on other versions of Unix. Patches are welcome (including patches that package binaries) at the patches page.

The Mac OS X port is incomplete. It does not synchronize the screen saver, only text clipboard data works (i.e. HTML and bitmap data do not work), the cursor won't hide when not on the screen, and there may be problems with mouse wheel acceleration. Other problems should be filed as bugs.

GET IT HERE: -------------> http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=406637
    Visit my website
    Jesus I give my HEART
    To you

Not sure when this is gonna come in handy but i will keep it just in case

Quote Originally Posted by malco1987 View Post
    i am using it now
    Visit my website
    Jesus I give my HEART
    To you

Quote Originally Posted by malco1987 View Post
    if you are a person who use 2 or more computers at once then this is for you i am using it and its really good
    Visit my website
    Jesus I give my HEART
    To you

No special hardware required
    Is this similar to Logmein, where the computer can be remotely administered? I assume the mouse and keyboard are not attached in some way to both PCs, correct?
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    Is this similar to Logmein, where the computer can be remotely administered? I assume the mouse and keyboard are not attached in some way to both PCs, correct?
    or himachi? they sound like they do the same
    Confucius say..Man who fight with wife all day, get no piece at night!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillion View Post
    Your task as member of the elite is to educate, no matter how hard it is.
    No one can do all their own homework all the time. That is why people communicate and collaborate on forums.

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    no man i use 1 computer mouse and keyboard to control both machines
    Visit my website
    Jesus I give my HEART
    To you

I've been using Synergy for the past 4 years.

You use it when u have multiple complete machines /w monitors for each. It allows you to use the keyboard and mouse from one machine to control the others. As long you have monitors for each of the other computers its way better than a KVM switch. controlling each machine is intuitive and seamless and you can copy data between them via the clipboard and its free

A perfect example is how I use it at home. I have a laptop from work as well as a desktop with dual CRT's.

When I get home I plug the laptop into the network and , thru synergy the laptop connects to the synergy server on my desktop. Synergy then sends all mouse and keyboard commands to the laptop via the network. So when I move the mouse beyond the left side of the CRT it appears on the laptop (see pic above) and all keyboard/mouse input controls the laptop even tho I'm using the Desktop mouse/keyboard. You can control up 4 machines , just define a "side" of the Server's CRT that makes it switch to that machine.

The effect is as if you had multiple monitors connected to ur one computer its just that u can't drag windows between them for obvious reasons. In my setup above I can have drag my mouse from the rightmost CRT, to the middle one all the way to the laptop seamlessly.

Its great for gaming since I can put up MSN etc on the laptop, so I can easily talk to ppl while playing WoW / BF2142 without having to alt-tab out of the game . Synergy uses the scroll lock key to lock the mouse to a particular screen. I just press scroll lock .. move the mouse over to the laptop , type my message then pull it back to the game and re-lock. You can't do this easily while Dualing because yeah I can play WoW on the middle CRT and have MSN on the rightmost one but if I move the mouse over there and click MSN its going to tab me out of the game because I've now made MSN the active application on the machine.

Synergy also allows you to copy text between the machines. This came in handy when I used to install software on servers based on instructions from the manufacturer that were in Word format. Synergy doesn't need to be "installed" so I ran the Synergy server on the server machine and then had my laptop connect to it. Then copied the commands which could be very long from the word doc straight to the command line on the server and execute them, then just delete the synergy executable when I was done. Shaved installation times nearly in half.

and since Synergy is cross-platform it also works great across linux/windows machines.
    Last edited by CyVan; Mar 18, 2008 at 03:01 AM.

This is worth a try. I have 2 monitors at home...my PC and a monitor for machines i'm working on. This should work great....going to try it out.
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards