Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Get help tweaking your broadband connection.

Use this thread to get help on tweaking your broadband connection and getting more speed out of it.

Download the Broadband Speed Test tool here first: Learn how to Tweak your broadband connection

I use linux... without wine or crossover office so the program is pretty useless to me
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by deakie
    now most of you will latch unto a server and use their speed test...this will give you a test to that particular server and lots of testers walk away convinced thats the speed they have....

thing is, thats the speed you have to one locality...
    determining true speed of your connection can only be done at you own isp....thats the speed you have from your house to your isp servers....from there, the variances of the internet takes over and you really have no way of asessing just how fast you are really surfing...

there are a couple of very important factors that can get in your way...
    router faults....sometimes, gateways are not behaving when you escape your own home and they might be dropping packets...
    sometimes your isp equipment might be adding latency because of multiple users being on at the same time..
    sometimes its your setup thats buggering things up too....

so you need to test a couple of things....
    one is tracerouting....look for packet loss to several difeent sites and ensure that it int the first hree hops thats letting you down...if it is...phone your isp....find out whats happening, especially if you see real latency or droopped packets....

so some file on and uploading to se how good you compare with the advertised speeds..

next, use the tool mentioned below to do a nice speed test on multiple servers...this ought to show performance for worldwide if you do the comprehensive test...
    and it will generally cover the things above...except the gateway packet checking.....

it will be nice to show up the different users on the same service and then you can really compare...

post your results in here...

go here and get the proggy from the download section....
    http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/
    thanks for the link to this software i have failed in evry single test done using this software or shuld i have said that performance of my connection has failed on evry single test done,it did not make me feel any better about what i am getting for my money but may be the next test i do will be better

I generally test with CW's Speed test site, as that will tell me what im getting from there Servers ... Allot of things can contribute to low resutls from other test sites ...

I downloaded the software ... got 426k, retested and kept getting error from the Dowload test site, everthing else seems OK ..

---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

I just ran the test and failed the majority. I managed to pass most of the Asian test and a few US and European ones but that was about it .

Quote Originally Posted by Ropy
    I just ran the test and failed the majority. I managed to pass most of the Asian test and a few US and European ones but that was about it .
    I wonder why ?
    Vision without Mission is Daydreaming!

Looks like an interesting tool....pity there is no Linux version...I use Linux

i apologise for there being no linux version....should have thought about that before hand gill...my apologises man....
    i'll see if linux forums turn something up.....

darn.....

dont be disheartened by failures.....what you have to do is look at each failure and then start figuring why they occured....

dont be disheartened by failures.....what you have to do is look at each failure and then start figuring why they occured....
    How do we do that , any suggestions ?

All except 2 of my pings were above the norm, so that must be a good thing
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

ok...first thing you need to do is to tweak your connections...
    this will ensure you have the most optimised settings for the network....

before i go any further on this...let me give a listing of speed tests of various countries...ja is on there as well...
    http://www.dslreports.com/stest?more=1

at least you can choose a bag of countries around the world and get a feel for speed rates from them....

then my next post will be about tweaking adsl.....
    Last edited by deakie; Jul 23, 2005 at 01:01 PM.

then my next post will be about tweaking adsl.....
    I cant wait, this should be good .......

BTW, what they have on dsl reports is the same CW speed test link we all use

these are my resuts using the Cayman Test Server

Last edited by GPRS Internet; Jul 24, 2005 at 03:28 AM.
    ---
    Stay Connected,..