Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: JALUG's Network Administrator Course

Quote Originally Posted by MG Kelly View Post
    Sigh, all the good stuff in Kingston, lol. Just yesterday i was using a linux cd to boot a system for restoring purposes and taught it would great to learn Linux!
    Could work on starting a LUG in your area. LUGs are suppose to be cells in accessible gathering points. The problem was no one other than those in Kingston and Montego Bay were able to establish LUGs successfully -- though if I remember correctly, what was in Mobay was a MUG (Mac User Group).

Start up a LUG and tie it to the main one.

when is the next course guys???????
    Knowledge is just wasted time if not put to action
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Network +, A+, CCNA, CCDA, CXFS, Avaya (ACIS), MCP ...next stop CCNP,MCSE, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, VCP

Hmmm... Second person to ask me that question this month. Not sure yet. We took a break this year. We will see what happens next year.

We have been running this course for around 10 years or so. We have trained so many people in Windows and Linux networking. A few have gone on to get Linux + certified. So many have used it to upgrade their networking skills and move on to better paying jobs. Several have implemented Linux servers in their Windows networks.

PM me your phone number and email. I will put you on the list for the next one.

I've been using Zentyal as a file server. Great things are in store for the 4.0 version they are putting out later this month.
    "To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so."
    Alcatel One Touch PIXI 3 (4.5)
    LG Fortune 2

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    Hmmm... Second person to ask me that question this month. Not sure yet. We took a break this year. We will see what happens next year.

We have been running this course for around 10 years or so. We have trained so many people in Windows and Linux networking. A few have gone on to get Linux + certified. So many have used it to upgrade their networking skills and move on to better paying jobs. Several have implemented Linux servers in their Windows networks.

PM me your phone number and email. I will put you on the list for the next one.
    im also interested. DMing you my info

I have been a bit busy over the last two years or so. A number of people have been asking about this course. Hopefully we can do something in the second half of next year. Teaching Linux helps keep my knowledge current. I will check to see if the lab at UTECH is still available.

It is so strange. A number of people who have attended the course are now working in jobs which include significant use of Linux. They want a refresher to assist them with their current job. We most likely will be mixing new students with some of the older ones. Interesting...

BTW, we most likely won't be using the name JALUG for these courses. Two of the founding members of JALUG are looking at taking it in a different direction. We are focusing our activities on Linux training so we will be using the name KLUG (Kingston Linux User Group) or something similar. I have to talk with some people before we can finalize the details.
    Last edited by jamrock; Nov 17, 2015 at 09:59 AM.

Hey, we should start thinking about turning this into a online course. Use virtual machines to simulate networks,firewalls, etc.
    Calm Like a BOMB

That would be a useful approach. However, we would have to think about things like fixed I.P. addresses, network infrastructure, etc. This is a free course that we used to do as part of the JALUG's monthly meetings. UTECH allowed us to use their lab since it was a useful way to get some staff trained in networking. Each year we would reserve some seats for the staff who provided technical support to the students using the labs.

In this context, it would be best to keep it simple.
    Last edited by jamrock; Nov 17, 2015 at 10:25 AM.

You can encourage the guys to get the '3 for 1' Linux certification - LPI, CompTIA and SUSE
    https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/linux

I know of 2 people who went on to get this certification. Some of the material we cover (LDAP, DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP) is included in the Microsoft server certification as well.

The first section of the course is networking pure and simple. We set up DNS, DHCP, LDAP, TCP/IP etc. on Linux and Windows. We look at the installation of Linux servers and Windows servers. This includes using dcpromo to create Windows domain controllers and configure Windows DNS.

We show people how to use OpenLDAP on Linux to query Active Directory on a Windows domain controller. Active Directory uses the LDAP protocol for authentication. Students are always surprised when we use the Linux command line to pull the list of computers, users, printers, etc. from Active Directory.

Understanding LDAP is the first step in learning how to make Windows and Linux work together on the same network.
    Last edited by jamrock; Nov 18, 2015 at 09:12 AM.