Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Nokia embraces Windows Phone 7 as its primary mobile OS

Quote Originally Posted by g2cris View Post
    LOL, a massive dip in shares for nokia would mean that MS would be able to buy more on the market. Not the other way around. So, so far its boding well for MS.

Great explanation. I don't know where that propaganda came from. Android is popular because its freely accessible and its openness. Symbian requires that the phone manufacturer do a lot of work themselves which isn't always optimal for hardware manufacturers, (for example RIM and Apple have closed in house OSes but they lack the features, power and flexibility of competition that is open. Dont get me wrong they may innovate from time to time but getting everything right takes an effort that salaried employees cannot accomplish during a 9-5). That my friend is the power of open source, and the open source community. If symbian's UI development was being contributed to heavily by the community then it would have reacted and evolved much faster than relying on a CEO and other execs to decide what features people want.
    Yep, there is nothing superior in android compare to symbian. I have to admit though that symbian programming is difficult when compared to all other option but this was a tradeoff for an attempt to maintain efficiency in the system. What have soured symbian's name is Avkon, which was not a part of symbian until nokia donated it 2 years ago. this 90s era ui framework is the cause, it is like attempting to theme windows 98 to compete with mac os 9.6 .

this was to be changed with the new qt based application layer and Ui but lo and behold Selop sell it out.
    Last edited by kalel17; Feb 14, 2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: evicted thylacine projected vocabs
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

Technical people need to learn how to distance themselves from the technology and look at the MARKET.

Firstly it is primarily about the money.

Nokia functions to give the major shareholders, investors and other stake holders consistent, stable and progressively higher returns on their equity.

Nokia's market contraction and by extension Symbian devices, have not been giving the stake holders what they want.

Overall since 2009 Nokia is failing to deliver and it is projected to get worse.

That is why the major shareholders and exec board desperately hired this former MS guy.

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    One question what did you expect a former microsoft employee to say?
    Exactly the things he as been saying.

He has NO other reason to say anything else... because THE MONEY is not there totally refute his claim.

Get it now ?

Show me the money !

Because the dollars are no longer coming in and do not add up gives Elop room to say whatever he damn well pleases about Symbian and the Board of directors have no choice but to agree.

Worse the previous CEO failed to leverage the N8 development into profits.

Any advanced OS or platform fails if it does not translate to dollars.

Ergo ... Symbian failed (not because of technical merit, but economic merit) to keep MS out of its playground.

If it cannot be leveraged... it is a waste of time.

The Sega Dreamcast was technologically way ahead of the PS One... guess who won ?

When will we technicians grasp this ?

Quote Originally Posted by kalel17 View Post
    Yep, there is nothing superior in android compare to symbian.
    Exactly.

However, the execs don't care.

I agree with their viewpoint.

It cannot and has not been translated to growth in sales.

So as far as the people who control the money are concerned... Symbian sucks. I agree.

We technical people need to remember that we have to translate our technology into something that is SO EASY TO SELL IT SELLS IT SELF.

That damn iPhone is a brick with a glass screen... perfect case and point.

Blackberry is another one.

Welcome to capitalism.

Symbian will be shot in the back by those who control Nokia simply because Symbian has not delivered an iPhone and Android killer.

Who is to blame ?
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

Thats what many people who dont understand symbian saying it sucks. Its how its developed and presented that counts

in terms of hardware optimization. we all know symbian is better than android.. only an ignorant fanboy who doesnt know otherwise would say that. i doubt nokia would fully abandon symbian considering its their own OS.. nokia is just trying to get more attention in the worldwide market and thats why they chose microsoft. if u ask me google may have been a better choice between the two but hey - watever..
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by vylle View Post
    in terms of hardware optimization. we all know symbian is better than android.. only an ignorant fanboy who doesnt know otherwise would say that. i doubt nokia would fully abandon symbian considering its their own OS.. nokia is just trying to get more attention in the worldwide market and thats why they chose microsoft. if u ask me google may have been a better choice between the two but hey - watever..
    You are partly right but they are actually just seeking attention in the US, they already have the rest of the world's attention.

The power of the worlds largest consumer economy.
    THANK GOD

Quote Originally Posted by kalel17 View Post
    this 90s era ui framework is the cause, it is like attempting to theme windows 98 to compete with mac os 9.6 .

this was to be changed with the new qt based application layer and Ui but lo and behold Selop sell it out.
    thats wat im sayin to my friends all this while.....all symbian needed was was a complete UI overhaul and i think it would be back in action......cause lets face it....Symbian aint short a Apps n functionality

Quote Originally Posted by Gillion View Post
    Technical people need to learn how to distance themselves from the technology and look at the MARKET.

Firstly it is primarily about the money.

Nokia functions to give the major shareholders, investors and other stake holders consistent, stable and progressively higher returns on their equity.

Nokia's market contraction and by extension Symbian devices, have not been giving the stake holders what they want.

Overall since 2009 Nokia is failing to deliver and it is projected to get worse.

That is why the major shareholders and exec board desperately hired this former MS guy.

Exactly the things he as been saying.

He has NO other reason to say anything else... because THE MONEY is not there totally refute his claim.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Lightbulb

You are partly right but they are actually just seeking attention in the US, they already have the rest of the world's attention.

This is true...Sony Ericsson has taken a similar move with their latest Android offerings by striking a big deal with Verizon to launch their Xperia Play and they secured a well placed SuperBowl spot.

The US is an important market for any mobile manufacturer. Nokia chose Microsoft to bring them to the U.S. masses...take a look at the phones in the lineup that get touted by AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon in all the ads etc...Nokia is hardly in sight.
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    Just another user to ignore.
    Just do what you say you gonna do or communicate without being rude.

Technical merit alone cannot sell

You have to make it so that the product excites the marketing department.

Marketing is a part of the Symbian platform as well as SOCIAL SIGNIFICANCE in the US consumer consciousness.

That must be built into your platform as well.

So easy it sells itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Technoboy View Post
    This is true...Sony Ericsson has taken a similar move with their latest Android offerings by striking a big deal with Verizon to launch their Xperia Play and they secured a well placed SuperBowl spot.

The US is an important market for any mobile manufacturer. Nokia chose Microsoft to bring them to the U.S. masses...take a look at the phones in the lineup that get touted by AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon in all the ads etc...Nokia is hardly in sight.
    Exactly.

The Nokia US presence has been weak for several years.

The N95 was the device that could have gotten Nokia firmly into the US market brand consumer consciousness. That device created much international buzz. But Nokia failed to leverage that device and pry open a solid place for themselves into the US market. Nokia failed to burn itself into American culture.

America is the worlds largest economy. That all that matters in capitalism.

That is the money maker.

Nokia must find a way to create a cultural phenomenon around a flagship device or devices.

iPhone is a phenom
    Blackberry is Phenom
    Android is becoming a Phenom

Why not Symbian devices ?

Whats wrong there ?

To the lay person and the investor... Symbian ? whats that ? Bah it sucks.

Thus, to the CEO of Nokia: "Symbian. Yes its technically advanced but it has NO impact on the kids at American colleges drinking beer out of a urinal. They have the money."

Symbian has to become culturally relevant. It has to demonstrate itself as some kind of cool new hip phenom. It has to become disruptive to the android iOS ecosystem.

As I said before. Technical merit is only one part of a platform... but technical merit that does not transform into social merit... cannot translate to cash.

N8, Symbian, avkon, UI whatever... does not produce the money in the US market in the final stretch. Therefore it sucks.

People hate to hear it but, America does = The World when it comes to capitalism and pure raw money.
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

That is true, i dont think I ever saw a nokia add on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillion View Post
    Just do what you say you gonna do or communicate without being rude.

Technical merit alone cannot sell

You have to make it so that the product excites the marketing department.

Marketing is a part of the Symbian platform as well as SOCIAL SIGNIFICANCE in the US consumer consciousness.
    So you expect serious replies when you spit crap "saying symbian doesn't respond to hardware upgrades"?

ignorance is a bliss.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality