Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Test Case: Running a PC without an anti-virus

Running no AV is easy for me cuz I used to format my system alot (not bcuz of virii mind you) and I got lazy reinstalling everything again so I just put the basic on and left it. I saw a laptop recently filled with viruses. Why? Dude hdd filled with pron.
    ShadowWolfe, signing off *salute*
    /user has permanently disconnected from the Animus.

Some people been laughing at me when I posted I'm gonna start using an AV. I dunno why. I never said I wouldn't ever use one or never will. Just that my current computing activities warrant that I use one.

I have started my BSc in IT and the lecturer sends his/her notes via email attachments and I also have to be sharing files from classmates. So since I will be getting email attachments on a regular basis, my online virus scanning sites that I mentioned in my first post, will be a bit time consuming.

I could also use my web interface to get my email, since google does scan my emails for viruses. But I have been dying to try out some of these new anti-viruses, as they have gotten lighter and better since last time I had one installed. Plus it would add an extra layer of defence.

I want an AV that I can open and close on demand, instead of having it run all the time. Panda Cloud AV was a light AV, but you can't close the program. lol

Avast and Avira are my next choice for light AV's.

Again, I never said you don't ever need an AV. If your computing habits require that you do, then by all means. But it goes to show, you can become your own anti-virus without paying for expensive AV software.

I'm gonna do a U turn and take back what I just said.

Is it impossible to be operating in an IT environment without an AV installed? Interacting with other computers, receiving email attachments regularly, all without an AV and not get infected?

I have heard some say it's because I was in a safe environment, why I was able to achieve this test case with ease. But now that I will be interacting with other computers, school network and many email attachments, guess it would be the perfect time to do another test case.

My whole point of this thread, is to point out that an AV is not required to be running on your PC, to keep your PC safe from viruses. With the knowledge of how viruses can enter your computer, you can take steps to safe guard those port of entries.

So I won't install an AV.

Just like a car doesn't need seat belts to work cuz nobody drives to intentionally damage the vehicle but it is in there to protect you from other people in case **** happens its the same with an antivirus. So since you feel compelled to go into the unknown without protection to try an prove whatever point your trying to prove.
    Word to the wise, BACKUP your current system state with a backup utility and become dear friends with Windows Steady State.
    MATADOR: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, C2Q Q9400 @ 3.4GHz, ZALMAN CNPS9500, 6GB GSkill, Crucial C300 SSD 128GB, 2x 2TB WD Caviar Black, Diamond HD5850, 2x Plextor DVD+RW, RAIDMAX Scoprio 668WBP Case, Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-D-B 850W, Dell E228FP WideScreen 22", Logitech Z-2300, Windows 7 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by RZA View Post
    Just like a car doesn't need seat belts to work cuz nobody drives to intentionally damage the vehicle but it is in there to protect you from other people in case **** happens its the same with an antivirus. So since you feel compelled to go into the unknown without protection to try an prove whatever point your trying to prove.
    Word to the wise, BACKUP your current system state with a backup utility and become dear friends with Windows Steady State.
    So I guess my thread has become "wow is that possible? goodluck." to "ok you made your point. you're now being stupid".

Sorry to see you feel that way. It was always my belief, and the belief of others that you must have an AV installed, otherwise your computer is doomed. To be debunking it and proving it wrong, gives me great pleasure to do.

But if you guys are no longer interested, I guess it's pointless to comment on it any further.

Dont get me wrong AA im not saying that your being stupid, unconventional yes but stupid no. By all means keep the posts coming cuz i wanna hear what happens and see how things pan out for you. I do admire your zeal to step into the unknown like that without an AV (not sumptin that myself or most other folk would do) but i was just giving a warning and a little advice in case **** happens.
    Remember that what your trying to accomplish here is using a computer in an unsafe environment without contracting a virus and im just saying that to be on the safe side in the event that you do get a virus ensure your files are safe from now by doing a backup.
    Last edited by RZA; Sep 19, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
    MATADOR: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, C2Q Q9400 @ 3.4GHz, ZALMAN CNPS9500, 6GB GSkill, Crucial C300 SSD 128GB, 2x 2TB WD Caviar Black, Diamond HD5850, 2x Plextor DVD+RW, RAIDMAX Scoprio 668WBP Case, Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-D-B 850W, Dell E228FP WideScreen 22", Logitech Z-2300, Windows 7 Pro x64

Been at school with my laptop for 2 months now. Plugging in thumb drives, surfing on the schools public network, with no anti-virus. Classmates telling me I lick mi head to be using no anti-virus. lol Had to laugh.

Actually, one of my classmates gave me her thumb drive to put some classnotes on. After plugging it in, I realized the thumb drive icon resembled a folder, which I knew was a sign of a virus on it. When I opened it and checked it out, it was the popular autorun trojan virus, which tries to automatically run when plugged in.

Asked her why she give me her thumb drive if she did know she had virus on it. She juss laugh. Bwooy, some ppl nuh nice yuh nuh. lol

But anyways, Windows 7 stops those viruses by preventing any file from automatically running when plugged in. So I'm safe.

You know, even if I do get a virus and wipe out everything, I'm still not going to install an anti-virus afterwards. I'll just learn what I did wrong to let the virus in and take better precautions next time. Plus making backups helps to recover quickly.

I feel so much freer (that a word) without an anti-virus idly sitting on my pc, eating up memory and resources. I couldn't go back to installing one.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

I could barely understand your previous approach. You were in a controlled environment.

I can't understand your current approach.

Still, it is your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    I could barely understand your previous approach. You were in a controlled environment.

I can't understand your current approach.

Still, it is your computer.
    lol and here I thought a school network was a more open environment. What don't you understand about my current approach jamrock? I am guessing it is still too closed an environment for you?
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

I don't understand why you would expose your data to such a high level of risk. Using an anti-virus when sharing files with other people is just a basic security precaution.

Some people jump out of planes for fun. Others race bikes. I guess this is your way.