Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Multi-Monitor Setup

I am refering to finding one to buy used locally in jamaica. I don't want to deal with import duty surprises at all. Plus these monitors often weigh like 20 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    ... My current monitor I have been using for like 17 years and desparately needs a upgrade, I can't even adjust the brightness anymore but it works, lol
    Emergency upgrade required man.
    I have an 11 year old with artifacts, looking like goo creeping down the screen...though its not that noticeable up close against a bright image.

I am refering to finding one to buy used locally in jamaica. I don't want to deal with import duty surprises at all. Plus these monitors often weigh like 20 pounds.
    I see some online like this are like 10-15 lbs. Gonna call ShipMe today and try get an estimate.
    Last edited by slimalbert1; Mar 20, 2017 at 06:39 AM.

This is the third time typing up this reply...JPS is really pissing me off today.
    So...let me try again...:

ShipMe says I'd pay J$15,000 for a monitor like this, which includes their fees and customs extortion.
    So, I asked the rep to give me an estimate for used monitor for like US$40...she responded that customs wouldn't charge me anything but I'd have to pay ShipMe fees of around $5,000.

Neither scenarios make sense to me.

Well all I can say is try you luck

Using 2 x 24in monitors - less clutter, simpler multitasking
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Here's my advice. Get two cheap HDMI TV's and use them. The power-on time is slower than your monitors, but outside of that you won't see much difference. Personally I use two screens. Space prevents me from using more. I can't go back to a single screen setup due to work and gaming. I can have my games on my main screen and chats on the second. For work I have scanned things on my secondary screen and do the typing on my main - or if I have calculations to do I have stuff opened on both and do what I need to do.

If you going the way of the TV - make sure you either get it cheap from a place that repo it, or buy new cheap and can return it after testing. Some of these places will tell you 1080p when it's not actually 1080p. So test it first - then take it home and test it - then take it back if it's not what you want.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Here's my advice. Get two cheap HDMI TV's and use them. The power-on time is slower than your monitors, but outside of that you won't see much difference. Personally I use two screens. Space prevents me from using more. I can't go back to a single screen setup due to work and gaming. I can have my games on my main screen and chats on the second. For work I have scanned things on my secondary screen and do the typing on my main - or if I have calculations to do I have stuff opened on both and do what I need to do.

If you going the way of the TV - make sure you either get it cheap from a place that repo it, or buy new cheap and can return it after testing. Some of these places will tell you 1080p when it's not actually 1080p. So test it first - then take it home and test it - then take it back if it's not what you want.
    Using tVs are painful when reading text. Because Tvs normally have Chroma 4:4:0 while monitors have 4:4:4. So i do not think it is a good idea. A tv and a monitor would go well though.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

games and single window apps are good enough for most but some need 16:10 aspect ratio or higher. 4:3 can fit side by side on a single QHD monitor with PBP features and less energy consumption (1 monitor) and more flexibilty (can switch from dual 4:3 to single 16:10). But clearly such tech is less common, and hence more expensive. But I do imagine that u have to buy a new video card if you want to go dual monitor which will add to you costs.

here is a used 19" for 9k. too small for my uses but this is typical of what people have here in ja

http://shopinja.com/forum/index.php?topic=779489.0

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post

I've tried TVs, but they don't display the image properly...as Pezz explains.

games and single window apps are good enough for most but some need 16:10 aspect ratio or higher. 4:3 can fit side by side on a single QHD monitor with PBP features and less energy consumption (1 monitor) and more flexibilty (can switch from dual 4:3 to single 16:10). But clearly such tech is less common, and hence more expensive. But I do imagine that u have to buy a new video card if you want to go dual monitor which will add to you costs.
    I'v really never heard of this kinda tech before. That would be nice to have.