Thread: Rationale behind throttling bandwidth (FLOW)

Default Rationale behind throttling bandwidth (FLOW)

What is their logic on this? I downloaded one game last night that was 40+ GB. Only to find that afterwards the net got throttled to 3.1 Mbps. multiple people live here and that's not so great even for one person. What is the point of throttling people after the big download? To a point that now regular browsing/streaming is affected.

The period where they might have affected the network negatively went by already. A retroactive throttling is just punishment. The throttling is probably not retroactive completely but regular usage pushed the total downloaded to some threshold but that's still showing how silly the system is.

The sensible thing is to not give people bandwidth you don't want them to use for any prolonged session. Or only throttle if multiple users are heavily using the network and to varying degrees (throttling) based on network demands. So backwards. GBs downloaded 1 day ago wont affect the network now.

Probably is better to not even give people the higher bandwidth to begin with. with the silly policy, all you do is make getting throttled more likely. 12Mbps max speed is better than 30Mbps with a 3.1Mbps cap resulting from going at 30Mbps for too long. At least at 12Mbps things still work. Rather than sit here waiting on a simple webpage to load because someone is streaming a low res video elsewhere.

FLOWs network is obviously still trash. They should just take the loss and stop bumping up speeds to figures they can't manage.
    Last edited by semitop; Mar 26, 2017 at 11:23 AM.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Hush man. Looking back for some info since I had discussed this with friends before on WhatsApp.

*EDIT*
    Found it. Just going to copy/paste.

https://discoverflow.co/jamaica/flow...ss-jamaica-aup

https://discoverflow.co/jamaica/flow...ns-jamaica-aup

It's primarily in the second link under the heading - ABUSE OF SERVICE.

The following activities in conjunction or individually may constitute a violation of this AUP and can result in the application of this AUP by the Company to reduce a particular User’s bandwidth consumption for a period to be determined by the Company in its sole discretion:

(i) Aggregate bandwidth usage in excess of more than a factor of ten (10) times the average User usage during a calendar month.
    So you probably did quite a lot for a bit. They will probably throttle you for the rest of your billing cycle. Maybe if you called them. Anyways - I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that you didn't use a content delivery platform like STEAM or ORIGIN. This would mean torrents probably. And that's why I've been talking about seedboxes. Best thing for you. Saves on your light bill.

If you did use a gaming or content delivery platform, then call them and speak with someone that can actually assist in tech support - like a manager or so - and see if that can be helped. Because I don't think they would throttle you normally if it's a platform you got it from, or a site like GOG where you'd have no choice but to download via HTTP.
    Last edited by khat17; Mar 26, 2017 at 11:29 AM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Hush man. Looking back for some info since I had discussed this with friends before on WhatsApp.
    streaming 480p maxes the internet now. Its insane they think that is ok. Even if they want to throttle, 3Mbps? Like they really couldnt apply some sanity to the choice of what to throttle people to. If I was on their even higher speed plans and they did that... smh. 100 Mbps to 3 Mbps... and someone still paying for it. Would be 10x more annoyed.
    All rights reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by semitop View Post
    What is their logic on this? I downloaded one game last night that was 40+ GB. Only to find that afterwards the net got throttled to 3.1 Mbps. multiple people live here and that's not so great even for one person. What is the point of throttling people after the big download? To a point that now regular browsing/streaming is affected.

The period where they might have affected the network negatively went by already. A retroactive throttling is just punishment. The throttling is probably not retroactive completely but regular usage pushed the total downloaded to some threshold but that's still showing how silly the system is.

The sensible thing is to not give people bandwidth you don't want them to use for any prolonged session. Or only throttle if multiple users are heavily using the network and to varying degrees (throttling) based on network demands. So backwards. GBs downloaded 1 day ago wont affect the network now.

Probably is better to not even give people the higher bandwidth to begin with. with the silly policy, all you do is make getting throttled more likely. 12Mbps max speed is better than 30Mbps with a 3.1Mbps cap resulting from going at 30Mbps for too long. At least at 12Mbps things still work. Rather than sit here waiting on a simple webpage to load because someone is streaming a low res video elsewhere.

FLOWs network is obviously still trash. They should just take the loss and stop bumping up speeds to figures they can't manage.

How would they know when multiple users are using the network? Your network is private, all they see is one IP using the internet.

Thankfully i dont have these throttling issues.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    How would they know when multiple users are using the network? Your network is private, all they see is one IP using the internet.

Thankfully i dont have these throttling issues.
    not multiple users on my LAN. I mean their own users. If heavy users are stressing their network at a specific time, throttle at that time. Throttling after the stress is just punishment
    All rights reserved.

Just to add to what already has been said, light speed is finite. the more people on the network the less network there is to spread around. I imagine flow is already running at close to light speed or 80Tbps. They are just rationing it out to for as long as they can to milk you guys for as long as they can (or to get you to pay more for a fractional increase).

for those who want a little more meat; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG2ESDGwHHY

@owen

You win with that post