Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Digicel Launches HD Voice Calls

Default Digicel Launches HD Voice Calls

Digicel announced that it has enabled HD Voice for all customers using a compatible 3G/4G or LTE smartphone at no additional cost. The technology makes for a much- improved calling experience and requires both the caller and receiver to be connected to the Digicel 4G or LTE network in order to benefit from this enhanced feature.

The technology works by extending the frequency range of audio signals transmitted over the Digicel mobile network, resulting in a higher-quality listening experience. HD Voice makes it easier to recognise voices, distinguish confusing word or sounds and understand accented speakers.

Persons with impaired hearing can also benefit from this improved clarity.

According to Digicel Jamaica CEO David Butler, "HD Voice is an important technology to the advancement of our customers' network experience. For Digicel, it keeps us ahead as Jamaica's most advanced mobile network, always delivering innovation for the benefit of our customers."

The introduction of HD Voice marks another key milestone in Digicel's ongoing upgrade and expansion of its mobile network. In June, the company also launched Jamaica's first LTE network, delivering never-before-seen mobile data speeds up to 10 times faster.

Thoughts?

P.S. For anyone asking, this is the same HD Voice on T-Mobile USA's 3G/4G network (as well as Vodafone, O2, EE, Orange, T-Mobile Europe). Note this is NOT VoLTE, simply HD Voice (A good subsititute for VoLTE while they increase LTE capable handsets on their network). Check your phone's compatibility. iPhone 5 and up should be compatible as well as the Galaxy S3 and up. Give it a try or take note of the difference between a Digicel to FLOW call vs. Digi to Digi AMR-WB call.

http://jamaica-star.com/article/news...hd-voice-calls
    Last edited by Brandysull; Sep 28, 2016 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Added link

So this will not work if you on WiFi???
    And will there be some indicator to show that an HD call is active? Or I just have to listen for difference???

Why isn't there a quote and source?
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    So this will not work if you on WiFi???
    And will there be some indicator to show that an HD call is active? Or I just have to listen for difference???
    You'd have to listen for the difference, I'm not sure if Android has indicators for AMR-WB active voice calls. And it will work on WiFi, calls are happening over the circuit switched domain just the same as before, only at a higher bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    You'd have to listen for the difference, I'm not sure if Android has indicators for AMR-WB active voice calls. And it will work on WiFi, calls are happening over the circuit switched domain just the same as before, only at a higher bandwidth.
    How would this work on WIFI?

Wouldnt digicel need to support WIFI calling like tmobile does?
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    How would this work on WIFI?

Wouldnt digicel need to support WIFI calling like tmobile does?
    This is not WiFi calling, it is your regular phone call i.e. your call without a data plan or WiFi.... It is 3G based but does not require a data/packet switched domain. WiFi calling could be in the works as this does require IMS fuctionality, which is also necessary for VoLTE and WiFi calling (as well as SRVCC and CS Handoff for VoLTE). Long story short, it's your regular phone call with far more bandwidth.

This is not WiFi calling, it is your regular phone call i.e. your call without a data plan or WiFi.... It is 3G based but does not require a data/packet switched domain. WiFi calling could be in the works as this does require IMS fuctionality, which is also necessary for VoLTE and WiFi calling (as well as SRVCC and CS Handoff for VoLTE). Long story short, it's your regular phone call with far more bandwidth.
    I was confused because you answered yes to GPRS's question about it working over wifi.

I'm here thinking what does this have to do with WIFI.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    I was confused because you answered yes to GPRS's question about it working over wifi.

I'm here thinking what does this have to do with WIFI.
    I answered yes because you can make phone calls on WiFi.. can't you? lol

I answered yes because you can make phone calls on WiFi.. can't you? lol
    He asking about Digicel's service if I understood correctly -_-

Which then brought Tmobile's WiFi calling to mind.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

Yes.. Will HD calling work if you on WiFi and not Digicel Data ??
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram