Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Digicel 4G LTE Modem/Router - Does Anyone know how Fast is it ?

Question New Digicel 4G LTE Modem/Router - Does Anyone know how Fast is it ?

So today I was home, then decided to go to my friend net cafe, where I spot a "Digi Play bus" parkup , instantly I was shock and excited at the same time, then am like wait when since Digi Play reach ochi, must less where I live (Rural Area) ...

Then I walk over to the bus, where I saw the technician on a roof settings up a modem, after he was done I ask him a few questions ...

Is this the new replacement for wimax modem ? He said yes! It's the new 4GLTE modem ...

I ask few more questions but my main one was, How fast is it ? "Right now am getting 29Down and 9Up"

Does anyone here have this setup at home, if yes ? What's your speeds like ? Thanks ...
    HP 450 G4 - i5 (7th Gen) 3.1Ghz | 12GB DDR4 2133Mhz | 500GB HD + 256GB M.2 NVMe | Intel HD 620 | Asus RT-N66U (Merlin) Custom Firmware | 6TB HDD (Total) | JBL Pro Desktop Speakers | Skullcandy Indy Earbuds...

Quote Originally Posted by Ethical Hacker View Post
    So today I was home, then decided to go to my friend net cafe, where I spot a "Digi Play bus" parkup , instantly I was shock and excited at the same time, then am like wait when since Digi Play reach ochi, must less where I live (Rural Area) ...

Then I walk over to the bus, where I saw the technician on a roof settings up a modem, after he was done I ask him a few questions ...

Is this the new replacement for wimax modem ? He said yes! It's the new 4GLTE modem ...

I ask few more questions but my main one was, How fast is it ? "Right now am getting 29Down and 9Up"

Does anyone here have this setup at home, if yes ? What's your speeds like ? Thanks ...
    I'd love to see some diagnostics on this modem in question. Likely to be TDD-LTE (I hope... FDD is already saturated).

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    I'd love to see some diagnostics on this modem in question. Likely to be TDD-LTE (I hope... FDD is already saturated).
    Yes! it is in fact TDD-LTE but the most concerning thing about it other than the speed its not unlimited, it has a 100 GB somewhat stop gap, you can still browse after that but it will be slow ... To download a Triple-A type game these days is 100 GB and most streaming is 1080p - 4K so how this ago sustain users ?
    HP 450 G4 - i5 (7th Gen) 3.1Ghz | 12GB DDR4 2133Mhz | 500GB HD + 256GB M.2 NVMe | Intel HD 620 | Asus RT-N66U (Merlin) Custom Firmware | 6TB HDD (Total) | JBL Pro Desktop Speakers | Skullcandy Indy Earbuds...

Quote Originally Posted by Ethical Hacker View Post
    Yes! it is in fact TDD-LTE but the most concerning thing about it other than the speed its not unlimited, it has a 100 GB somewhat stop gap, you can still browse after that but it will be slow ... To download a Triple-A type game these days is 100 GB and most streaming is 1080p - 4K so how this ago sustain users ?
    I dont see it on their website tho. I remember the wimax modem I had said LTE on it but idk. I'm wondering tho where can I get more information on this ...is it providing cable too? So is it also using the same network as the mobile users?

Just got a text from Digicel...

"Get fast Wi-Fi in your house with LTE Home, now available in Montego Bay. Meet us in Sam Sharpe Square today and look for a Digicel rep in your area for info."

Oh! okay, Cool ... A friend of my got it (Ocho Rios) am getting 20 Mbps DOWN and 14 UP but its not consistent most times under 5 Mbps, the website says "Up to 10 Mbps" i know you not gonna always get that but it shouldn't be that inconsistent ... However what concerns me the is the fact its "NOT unlimited" its taps out at 100 GB for the month (If you run out, they throttle your connection to 1 Mbps) and everything to do with this modem will cost you ... even to not use it for awhile ... smh! this to me seem like a big money venture ...

Was not aware of us using FDD-LTE here in Jamaica. I have a phone that uses it and doesn't work here. Only EDGE. This would be the UleFone Power. Nice hardware but limited on data.

As for Digicel and LTE - while their connection does seem more stable with usage, the FLOW network seems faster. Speed tests in various places always show Digicel as slower.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Was not aware of us using FDD-LTE here in Jamaica. I have a phone that uses it and doesn't work here. Only EDGE. This would be the UleFone Power. Nice hardware but limited on data.

As for Digicel and LTE - while their connection does seem more stable with usage, the FLOW network seems faster. Speed tests in various places always show Digicel as slower.
    You mean TDD-LTE right?. Anyway Digicel LTE is super slow because they don't use wideband LTE frequency on their network. Flow uses 20mhz of band 4 LTE 20Mhz of Band 2 LTE and 5mhz of Band 12 LTE. Digicel uses only 10mhz of Band 17 LTE and 10mhz of Band 4 LTE. Flow also uses Ericsson equipment, which is the best in the industry. Flow also uses higher modulation and full fibre to the back haul.

Did a couple speedtests in downtown Kingston today and was getting 60-70 Mbs with under 20 ms latency on Digicel LTE. Big improvement over what i was experiencing a month ago.
    MSI B350 Tomhawk | Ryzen 7 5700x | Cooler master hyper 212 evo heatsink | MSI gtx 1070 | Corsair 32gb DDR4 (3200Mhz) | Samsung 970 evo 1tb | Seagate 1tb + 500 gb | Dell 27 INCH-S2719DGF 2560x1440 144hz Monitor