Page 53 of 83 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    I've made an interesting observation... FLOW's been pulling away from Digicel in terms of cell-site technology. FLOW, in their Ericsson markets (KGN, Mandeville, Spanish Town), has moved to using the Ericsson RRUS 12 remote radio, a huge step forward from the RRUS 01 which they now use solely for GSM and WCDMA (Digicel also uses it for GSM, WCDMA but also LTE). Digicel has also uped their game by using the RRUS11 for VERY recent LTE sites (like UWI).

The difference between the two is that FLOW's now able to run Band 4 LTE at an even higher power and with better performance (thanks to 2x Power Amplifiers) availing them of the use of 4x2 MIMO and in future, 4x4 MIMO (which would double the network capacity from 150 Mbit/s to 300 Mbit/s). This sort of move signals to me a move towards network densification rather than low band spectrum to fill in LTE network gaps. FLOW's hedging their bets on Band 4 and its superior capacity and performance (especially since they're going commercial with their unlimited data plans soon) against Digicel's already dated LTE network; sluggish, lackluster and woefully underutilized.
    Any Updates as to the light up and launch of LTE for the rest of Kingston and ST Andrew, Montego Bay and the rest of the country?. Also, even though prepaid users wont get unlimited data. Do you think that Flow will include a unlimited social media add on, for prepaid subscribers to use along with their core data for the duration of the core data plan?. Do you think they will allow YouTube and Netflix streaming at capped resolutions and speeds?. I am a very big fan of YouTube, and use the site religiously. So I really hope they hear my cries for this, and answer positively.

Quote Originally Posted by mista736 View Post
    Do you think some sort of updated mobile video and audio content service play is at the heart of this?
    No... more so, I think it speaks to the volume of data FLOW users are consuming and perhaps the expected rate of data usage growth (as per their mathematical models I presume). FLOW has embarked on a similar trend seen in networks like Verizon, T-Mobile and the like where they've switched to using separate RRUs for their LTE layer to improve their efficiency and make room for additional expansion. I doubt Digicel is moving in this path as they'd pledged to move to ZTE equipment, leaving FLOW as the only big ticket customer Ericsson has in Jamaica.

Aside from this, further efficiencies could be realized if FLOW moves to using the AIR32 active antennas but I don't see happening till say late 2018 or 2019.

Just to show what the RRUS 12 is doing on FLOW's LTE network, note the improvement in upload speeds even in sub-optimal signal conditions. Downloads are also keeping above the 30 Mbit/s mark even in 'low' signal.

This result is analogus to the competiton's LTE network under moderate load with excellent SINR... The day of reckoning is here it seems. 2 operators following different deployment strategies... Who will succeed?

Just to show what the RRUS 12 is doing on FLOW's LTE network, note the improvement in upload speeds even in sub-optimal signal conditions. Downloads are also keeping above the 30 Mbit/s mark even in 'low' signal.

This result is analogus to the competiton's LTE network under moderate load with excellent SINR... The day of reckoning is here it seems. 2 operators following different deployment strategies... Who will succeed?
    It looks like Flow is the clear choice for heavy data users although probably will end up best for all. Those are good numbers in even low signal areas (probably not even fully optimized yet).

Any updates on the progress of Flows final LTE turn on for the rest of Kingston and ST Andrew, and Montego Bay?.

All I have in that regard is confirmation is that sites are up in MoBay... A few more sites were added in Kingston as well as a few more sightings in Portmore.

Did a routine speed test today only to realize that FLOW has removed the 40/10 cap on Prepaid... Seems to be allowing everyone full access to the network. Note the reduced latency as well. This network modernization project they've been undergoing since 2015 has literally made them leap frog most carriers in the region. This is exactly what I want to see....

Was still getting impressive results even on 2 bars of LTE...

Liberty Global money looks good on them!
    Last edited by Brandysull; Dec 4, 2017 at 02:33 PM.

Still no FLOW LTE on ma phone... Mobay
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Still no FLOW LTE on ma phone... Mobay
    You did the SIM change and all? I have people saying they have access to LTE in MoBay... What phone are you using too btw?

You did the SIM change and all? I have people saying they have access to LTE in MoBay... What phone are you using too btw?
    Yes.... Sim/phone good.. get LTE in Kingston...

What part mobay exactly ?
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram