Page 68 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Well you can have higher capacity on lower frequency (as per the APT Band 28 plan; in places like New Zealand, carriers end up having up to 20 MHz of spectrum) and low capacity on higher frequency (a 10 MHz slice of PCS spectrum as the sole LTE layer). One must have the right spectrum mix first before they can rationalize tower deals. Digicel has sort that out first before they do tower selloffs to FLOW or private tower owners.
    Seems to me that is dependent on how large a slice of spectrum they have. But, all things equal, a 20MHz "slice" of 700 will propagate further and penetrate structures better, but wouldn't have the capacity of a similar "slice" of 1700.

I do agree that Digicel needs to sort out their network mix. But, I kinda tongue in cheek suggested Digi get out of the network end and just become an MVNO of sorts. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mista736 View Post
    Seems to me that is dependent on how large a slice of spectrum they have. But, all things equal, a 20MHz "slice" of 700 will propagate further and penetrate structures better, but wouldn't have the capacity of a similar "slice" of 1700.

I do agree that Digicel needs to sort out their network mix. But, I kinda tongue in cheek suggested Digi get out of the network end and just become an MVNO of sorts. LOL
    No man, 20 MHz of bandwidth consititutes a specific number of resource blocks; it matters not the band it lies on. 700 MHz is more slim that say AWS because it is so close to CLR and E-GSM bands. 700 MHz just isn't the right mix imo in Jamaica; AWS works wonderfully here and only gets into issues when you are deep inside a building. One can achieve parity through Band 5 LTE which can run at just as high a power as Band 17 LTE.

Digicel will never become an MVNO! If anything, they'll spin off a tower company which will serve as the asset holding vehicle for then really...

No man, 20 MHz of bandwidth consititutes a specific number of resource blocks; it matters not the band it lies on. 700 MHz is more slim that say AWS because it is so close to CLR and E-GSM bands. 700 MHz just isn't the right mix imo in Jamaica; AWS works wonderfully here and only gets into issues when you are deep inside a building. One can achieve parity through Band 5 LTE which can run at just as high a power as Band 17 LTE.

Digicel will never become an MVNO! If anything, they'll spin off a tower company which will serve as the asset holding vehicle for then really...
    Thank you for that explanation about the bandwidth. I have a tertiary understanding of the relationship between power and RF, but in a different segment.

You do understand I wasn’t serious about the MVNO thing right? Joke about their network and how to “fix” it. I do think they should spin off a tower holding company though.

LOL I know you were joking man! They've already gone the MVNOish route with the Digicel Cuba Roaming SIM but.. that failed quickly. I'd like so see a few more speed test from places across Jamaica with LTE though... so I can see what exactly is happening there.

LOL I know you were joking man! They've already gone the MVNOish route with the Digicel Cuba Roaming SIM but.. that failed quickly. I'd like so see a few more speed test from places across Jamaica with LTE though... so I can see what exactly is happening there.
    I was on Mandela jun 11 and the lte was not moving at all...it was slower than slow....seems either world cup matches slow9ng data as everyone watching or idk

Mandela is a spotty area for both Flow and Digicel
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dre' View Post
    Mandela is a spotty area for both Flow and Digicel
    True... There's a patch on Mandela Highway that is solely 3G on FLOW but it goes back to LTE once you pass by the North South Highway entrance/Caymanas area. Not usre about Digicel but I do recall seeing someone being on good LTE reception in that area; that's where 700 MHz should succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    I was on Mandela jun 11 and the lte was not moving at all...it was slower than slow....seems either world cup matches slow9ng data as everyone watching or idk

I've heard them say that they're aware of the lack of capacity on LTE in Kingston & St. Andrew.... as to when they PLAN to remedy it, no one knows.

Flow Mobile Service has been down all morning.
    Seem like its island-wide but only can confirm Saint Catherine and Kingston.

Anyone knows what's going on?
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dre' View Post
    Flow Mobile Service has been down all morning.
    Seem like its island-wide but only can confirm Saint Catherine and Kingston.

Anyone knows what's going on?
    Same here in Kingston 11 ST ST Andrew, no service whatsoever. Don't know what's causing it, and Flow only says that it's a major Technical issue. Hope they sort it out soon.