Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Claro plans to release netbook package in JA

Default Claro plans to release netbook package in JA

Well Claro can now say they have "One-Up" on digicel
    Claro Jamaica has beaten Digicel as the first big telecom to roll out an Internet package using netbooks as hooks for business, though the Irish company has been positioning for a launch for about four years.

Claro now has on offer Dell mini 10 netbooks in a package the company's promotions say is worth $49,999.

But customers will be asked to pay only $6,000 at sign-up for the so-called '3,000 megabyte plan', and will qualify for a free netbook once proof of income and address and proper identification are provided. Subscribers also must commit to a three-year contract to pay a monthly fee of $3,000, which would entitle them to 3,000 megabytes every 30 days.

Should the user exceed the allocation, he/she will be billed $3 for each megabyte downloaded.

The package is six months or more ahead of Digicel's planned second-quarter roll-out, as the company sets up its new 4G network that it promises will be faster and more efficient than the 3G services being sold by Claro and LIME Jamaica.

Netbooks are the smaller versions of the regular laptops, and are considered a more transportable alternative. It is projected that some 140 million will be sold over the next five years, as the device grows in popularity.

Digicel's plan was to begin the sale of the device between April and June 2010, the same time as the roll-out of its WiMAX service, which is expected to cover 60 per cent of the population in all 14 parishes at commissioning.

The netbooks, Digicel CEO Mark Linehan said in September, were being sourced from a number of computer manufacturers, including Acer, whose 10.1" Aspire One P531h netbook is currently being sold on the US market for US$415.

Back in February, Dell Inc launched the mini netbook at US$399, and is now offering promotional financing at US$15 monthly for qualified applicants, or a one-off starting price of US$349 - the equivalent of J$31,000 - depending on where one shops.

Claro's 3,000 prepaid plan comes with one month free Internet access.

Digicel declined comment for this story
    Source: http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...business1.html
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Dec 27, 2009 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added url to source

Claro first to market with netbooks: http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...business1.html
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

Need to post a link to where you copied the article from Tak.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

I thought LIME was the first. Oh they dont have a package that offer any device free. I see.

I wonder how long will that contract be. I certainly wouldn't want it. $3/MB after 3000MB, not even 3 GB or an acceptable 5 GB or 5000 MB if they want to be crooks (knowing very well that that is less than 5 GB).

I'll stick to the current $2000 unlimited package on my postpaid 2500 plan at least my bill doesn't fluctuate. And $5625 is affordable and I get minutes. I hope they don't come with that idiot cap on my plan for I shall surely end the service. I use more than three times that every month at no additional charge.
    THANK GOD

the cap jus killed the possibilty for me to get it. Less than 3gb on a pc? Lol i use that amount in little over a day. Plus its 3yrs just like my e71. Am now looking forward to digi's solution more than ever.
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

For people who don't have internet at all it's a great deal. Most people wont use 3gb in a month. I'm considering getting one for my Dad.
    Nexus S - Android 2.3.3 CM7, Jame Bond kernel with BLN, ext4 & full voodoo
    Bold 9700 - OS6.0.0.448

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Need to post a link to where you copied the article from Tak.
    didnt know who reported the new i got it from work email being passed around. was too lazy to email the person to get the link

Quote Originally Posted by Taktician View Post
    didnt know who reported the new i got it from work email being passed around. was too lazy to email the person to get the link
    http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...business1.html

Added to your first post.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Link to the original article: (Gleaner dated 27th Dec):

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...business1.html

claro will take soon.
    Once there is life there is hope to acheive anything.