Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Supply or Video Card?

Default Power Supply or Video Card?

Machine restarts or shuts down (usually shuts down) whenever anything graphics intensive starts. My machine will be on hours and is quite fine until I start running a game and it may still be fine until something graphics intensive occurs and it just goes. My specs are in my sig if anyone wants to know to query I have a generic PSU but its been running the same card fine for hhhmm perhaps almost a year now give or take.
    Intel i5 2300, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, 12GB DDR3 @1600 MHZ, XFX 6870 2gb (Stock). All Stock

For in much wisdom is much grief, and increase of knowledge is increase of sorrow | If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you its yours if it doesn't, it never was.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Machine restarts or shuts down (usually shuts down) whenever anything graphics intensive starts. My machine will be on hours and is quite fine until I start running a game and it may still be fine until something graphics intensive occurs and it just goes. My specs are in my sig if anyone wants to know to query I have a generic PSU but its been running the same card fine for hhhmm perhaps almost a year now give or take.
    Could be a possible driver issue. You could try reverting to an older or newer driver and test that and if you have a spare power supply give that a try too. Also you could use the stress test softwares like Prime 95, etc and just monitor for issues.
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Quote Originally Posted by Powpow View Post
    Could be a possible driver issue. You could try reverting to an older or newer driver and test that and if you have a spare power supply give that a try too. Also you could use the stress test softwares like Prime 95, etc and just monitor for issues.
    Tried all of those already except for the Prime 95 approach I will look into that. The reason why I don't think it is a driver issue because I have not tampered with my drivers in a while.
    Intel i5 2300, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, 12GB DDR3 @1600 MHZ, XFX 6870 2gb (Stock). All Stock

For in much wisdom is much grief, and increase of knowledge is increase of sorrow | If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you its yours if it doesn't, it never was.

Hmm.. ok, also sounds like it could be overheating problems. It's Summer time now so temperatures tend to go up this time a year.

If you don't already have a temperature monitoring software you could get MSI Afterburner for your card or Speedfan for eveything and monitor temps while system is under load.
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Had the same issue in last week.....i have a deck roof so the room tends to get real hot ....all i did was to increase the card fan speed
    while gaming and revert when not
    I am str88,no curves no bends.
    nokia rocks(iphone too)

21.5 emachice 1080p .... intel core 2 quad q6600 ... 4gig ocz memory ....h/d 320g....gpu ati hd 5750 1gddr5..m/B..intel

Yeah check your temps to see if they are getting out of hand on the cpu or gpu. Also heat generated from the PSU could cause it to shut down as well if the PSU is not up to snuff. Try loading each component in Isolation and see which one fails. You can use OCCT tool to do this test as I think it does graphs to show how power ties in with usage.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Here is what you must do. make sure you have steady hands, a tube of thermal compound preferably arctic silver. take the graphics card apart, clean the dust build up that lodged blocking the vent of the fins attached to the heat sync. be careful and remember that you are dealing with static sensitive equipment. That is your only solution. If you can't manage it get it to someone who can.
    Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H .Crucial Ballistix Sports 8Gig ddr3. Llano A8 3870k Quad Core APU. 22" Acer 1680x1050 LCD monitor + 32'' 1080p LCD HDTV. Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Vapor X video card. Mobile: Galaxy Note 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Powpow View Post
    A generic power supply only last for so long... nubis you should know by now that mi nuh suppprt hype parts and junk power supply... its the same way some people buy a lexus and live wid dem madda same way.... doe hype... caw yu nuh have a house.... just a boasy scrub... net net go buy a good power supply...
    cell: 807-4523| email: mysonchug@yahoo.com | PM Me

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFactor1 View Post
    A generic power supply only last for so long... nubis you should know by now that mi nuh suppprt hype parts and junk power supply... its the same way some people buy a lexus and live wid dem madda same way.... doe hype... caw yu nuh have a house.... just a boasy scrub... net net go buy a good power supply...
    Well it's not necessarily the power supply as he said it only happens under load. I have a generic XTech power supply as well and have my card and processor overclocked while playing Max Payne 3 and Crysis and my power supply is still at it usual 47 degrees celcius for hours under load.

Potoguise1 made a good suggestion as well as his card might need cleaning, as my old card kept freezing my system while gaming after a while and I just took it out and cleaned it and set it back properly on the board and I was good again.

Mi waa di man buy a good power supply caw if him parts bun up him back at square zero...
    cell: 807-4523| email: mysonchug@yahoo.com | PM Me