View Poll Results: Have you ever stolen software?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

54 58.06%
  • No

9 9.68%
  • I don't know

3 3.23%
  • No comment

27 29.03%
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast

Thread: What R Ur Views On Stealing Softwares

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    read my response before you try to boost your post count!
    Post count????? Thats neither here or there to me.

I actually agree with some of what u said in earlier posts. (poor students with a bag of assignments)

back on point

ppl should realise that most expensive software took huge investments to develop as well as gives you the potential to earn the purchase price many times over. I know people that make a very good living simply by training people to use photoshop alone and same for other powerful bits of software.

Most of us will agree that its worth it although its expensive, the point is to accept that is wrong thing to do although we're gonna continue doing it.

Just think about where the world would be today if every invention/idea had been 'copyrighted' (laws of gravity, e=mC^2, the telescope, fire) - egad!
    The fox was probably right - they could have been sour grapes.

notice i said enterprise software; and by the way the larger your company is the better it would be if you use open source since you can save alot on license fees. imagine a company with 50,000 employees using linux desktops. thats 50,000*$169=$8,450,000 saved in windows cost.
    that's such a simplistic view it beggars belief.

Quote Originally Posted by duberryd View Post
    Post count????? Thats neither here or there to me.

I actually agree with some of what u said in earlier posts. (poor students with a bag of assignments)

back on point

ppl should realise that most expensive software took huge investments to develop as well as gives you the potential to earn the purchase price many times over. I know people that make a very good living simply by training people to use photoshop alone and same for other powerful bits of software.

Most of us will agree that its worth it although its expensive, the point is to accept that is wrong thing to do although we're gonna continue doing it.
    i guess people all over the world do it but really for me it's just not worth it. i work and make good money so it's really not worth risking jail time to save $200 for a copy of Windows. Besides there are a lot of ways to get software for cheap or free without stealing it.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
    And copyright encourages innovation and development, eh?
    i hate to point out the obvious but since people don't do anything for altruistic reasons how do you propose to protect someone's research and development? nothing is free. companies aren't interested in R&D if they can't make a profit on their investment. what would be the point of that?
    Last edited by ramesh; Feb 8, 2010 at 07:54 AM.

notice i said enterprise software; and by the way the larger your company is the better it would be if you use open source since you can save alot on license fees. imagine a company with 50,000 employees using linux desktops. thats 50,000*$169=$8,450,000 saved in windows cost.
    I thought this thread was dead...but i cant believe i missed this one...I am blaming Gladiator...

duster, you cannot calculate the price like that, It is not so simple.

1. Find enough linux techs to support and train 50,000 users on a new environment.
    2. Find skilled admins to manage the network.
    3. Most importantly provide the employees with the necessary tool.

Of course your biggest problem is that the majority of enterprise/productivity tools will be Windows only, and as we have already pointed out, although there are Linux alternatives, they do not have the same functionality.

Not because it Open source means it's free. My company runs Redhat on about 90% of its servers, we pay for the enterprise license We also do the same for MySQL.

It is not always Linux vs. Windows, look at it more as "The best tool for the job." There will always be a cost, nothing is free.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    that's such a simplistic view it beggars belief.
    I was referring to the cost of windows licenses ; i never factored anything else. anyone in the industry knows its more than just the $ per client. but i just stated that as just one of the obvious costs.
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

I was referring to the cost of windows licenses ; i never factored anything else. anyone in the industry knows its more than just the $ per client. but i just stated that as just one of the obvious costs.
    basically you have no point.

I will just ignore you because i see you have nothing better to do.
    Henry David Thoreau

man dis a get hostile

I dont think the price of the OS is relevant. I.E. Dell provides so many discounts to business customers that the price of the OS isnt even significant. Not to mention, if you have a corporate agreement with M$ then this become a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by techie2000 View Post
    man dis a get hostile

I dont think the price of the OS is relevant. I.E. Dell provides so many discounts to business customers that the price of the OS isnt even significant. Not to mention, if you have a corporate agreement with M$ then this become a moot point.
    yeah but don't they "tie up" the OS price in the purchase of new hardware? call it what you want you will still be paying to use microsoft windows. anyway i think the price i quoted is being taken too literal. just look at the bigger concept of what i was trying to say. but yeah techie i get your point...
    Henry David Thoreau

yeah but don't they "tie up" the OS price in the purchase of new hardware? call it what you want you will still be paying to use microsoft windows. anyway i think the price i quoted is being taken too literal. just look at the bigger concept of what i was trying to say. but yeah techie i get your point...
    your concept isn't that big. some idiot is always trying to prove how expensive it is to run windows.