View Poll Results: Have you ever stolen software?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

54 58.06%
  • No

9 9.68%
  • I don't know

3 3.23%
  • No comment

27 29.03%
Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast

Thread: What R Ur Views On Stealing Softwares

Quote Originally Posted by shola View Post
    y would u use a large company as an example in this case, they more than anybody else should be able to afford it
    notice i said enterprise software; and by the way the larger your company is the better it would be if you use open source since you can save alot on license fees. imagine a company with 50,000 employees using linux desktops. thats 50,000*$169=$8,450,000 saved in windows cost.
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Intellectual Property

Copyright legislation is part of the wider body of law known as intellectual property. The term intellectual property refers broadly to the creations of the human mind. Intellectual property rights protect the interests of creators by giving them property rights over their creations.

The Convention Establishing the World Intellectual Property Organization (1967) gives the following list of subject matter protected by intellectual property rights:

* literary, artistic and scientific works;
    * performances of performing artists, phonograms, and broadcasts;
    * inventions in all fields of human endeavor;
    * scientific discoveries;
    * industrial designs;
    * trademarks, service marks, and commercial names and designations;
    * protection against unfair competition; and
    * “all other rights resulting from intellectual activity in the industrial, scientific, literary or artistic fields.”

Intellectual property relates to items of information or knowledge, which can be incorporated in tangible objects at the same time in an unlimited number of copies at different locations anywhere in the world. The property is not in those copies but in the information or knowledge reflected in them. Intellectual property rights are also characterized by certain limitations, such as limited duration in the case of copyright and patents.

The importance of protecting intellectual property was first recognized in the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property in 1883 and the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works in 1886. Both treaties are administered by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).

Countries generally have laws to protect intellectual property for two main reasons. One is to give statutory expression to the moral and economic rights of creators in their creations and to the rights of the public in accessing those creations. The second is to promote creativity, and the dissemination and application of its results, and to encourage fair trade, which would contribute to economic and social development.
    Copied from here:
    http://www.wipo.int/freepublications...o_pub_909.html

If a Company spent millions of dollars to make a product, say a new improved formula for common cold and someone were to copy their data and sell/give it to a competitor would you count that as stealing or not?

Stealing stifles innovation, results in companies spending extra to prevent it and passes on the cost back on to other paying consumers.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Techie i get what you are saying but most open source alternative but most don't have half the capability of commercial software. yes you find a replacement for a few media players, etc.. for the average home user but i want you to give me open source alternative to these enterprise apps i will list. Give me alternative that come close in functionality.... Oracle, MS SQL, SAP, Microsoft exchange, Apple Mac OS, Photoshop, Autocad, MS Office 2007,Quicken,Symantec 12 Exec, just to name a few.

and please dont tell me about ugly open office....
    Oracle / MS SQL - MS SQl Express, MySQL, Posgre, Ingres...there is a long list.

SAP - xTuble & OpenMFG (what kind of sick person would even want to pirate SAP???)

M$ Exchange - is this a serious question? way too many to name

Apple Mac OS - keep in mind this basically a pretty GUI running on Linux, again too many to name

Photoshop - Gimp, Pixa, Paint.net

Autocad - not sure about this one..i would have to search

M$ Office - OPen Office, Star office...

Quicken - There is a bunch including mint.com

They are out there, you just have to take time to look.

ropy u a joke... mysql??? lol. dat only use for basic web backend. try running it as your enterprize database for a large company. see the comparison below...msql is good but not close to the databases i mentioned. Try again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...gement_systems
    When dealing with enterprise deployment, only an idiot would pirate software. More than likely the business will have to work closely with the vendors and the product would require support. Heck, my company uses MySQL Enterprise and we pay for the Enterprise support / license. The same with Redhat ES...
    Last edited by techie2000; Feb 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by techie2000 View Post

When dealing with enterprise deployment, only an idiot would pirate software. More than likely the business will have to work closely with the vendors and the product would require support. Heck, my company uses MySQL Enterprise and we pay for the Enterprise support / license. The same with Redhat ES...
    techie i never said an enterprise should pirate those apps. If those alternative were so good you think companies like SAP would be making so much money? when you implement those high end open source app the headache you will get you wish you never considered it. for crying out loud im just installing a basic phpmyadmin now im on my 25th documentation online and still cant get it working.. i even followed that confusing instructions they have on the official website ..Im new to linux but my god come on now. i can only image installing somthing like xtuple
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    Stealing stifles innovation, ......
    And copyright encourages innovation and development, eh?
    The fox was probably right - they could have been sour grapes.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
    cyber how this miss me?... fi real! good one
    Henry David Thoreau

techie i never said an enterprise should pirate those apps. If those alternative were so good you think companies like SAP would be making so much money? when you implement those high end open source app the headache you will get you wish you never considered it. for crying out loud im just installing a basic phpmyadmin now im on my 25th documentation online and still cant get it working.. i even followed that confusing instructions they have on the official website ..Im new to linux but my god come on now. i can only image installing somthing like xtuple
    Keep in mind, what are you really paying for: With commercial software you are paying for support and some assurance that the product will continue to evolve. So yes, I would much rather buy a commercial product to run my enterprise because I know that Oracle and M$ will be around for years to come and I am able to get immediate service and support when required.

How many stalled Open Source projects are there? How many open source projects went down hill because the developers dont see eye to eye for have different priorities? Look how many people went into panic mode when Oracle bought Sun...

The software cost is only a few grand, these companies (SAP) make a truck load of money from service and support.

Quote Originally Posted by shola View Post
    y would u use a large company as an example in this case, they more than anybody else should be able to afford it
    Exactly. if you cant afford it, you dont need it.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
    Correct! See, you understand the concept then.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Quote Originally Posted by duberryd View Post
    Exactly. if you cant afford it, you dont need it.
    read my response before you try to boost your post count!
    Henry David Thoreau